Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2020, 04:32 AM   #1396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I think the chemical is toxic for the body , so you need to have the exact prescription not to create more harm than benefits. That is what the debate is about to avoid people self medicating without controlling risk factors. Should only be decided and controlled by medical professionals to avoid the risks.
That's a given, for sure.

For what it's worth, we did bring -prescribed- hydroxychloroquine to India as a "just in case". Luckily, mosquito repellent was enough.

04-04-2020, 04:34 AM   #1397
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I take hydroxychloroquine for RA, and I've been wondering whether it leaves me slightly better or worse off in the current pandemic. On the one hand, it's reigning-in my apparently-over-active immune system to slow the progression of RA (which it seems to do rather well in my case, actually), but I'm curious as to whether my immune system is now reduced enough, too much, or not enough in relation to COVID-19. I believe the dosage I take is lower than is being trialled for the virus...
Sorta like the Goldilocks story, I reckon; the trick is being "just right". It seems to have slowed the progression of my own RA, though I limit the dose to 400mg/day because more than that creates more tinnatus than I can tolerate. Like you, I'm hoping that's the right amount for me.
I think the chemical is toxic for the body , so you need to have the exact prescription not to create more harm than benefits. That is what the debate is about to avoid people self medicating without controlling risk factors. Should only be decided and controlled by medical professionals to avoid the risks.
Which makes me think of another issue: since there really isn't an "immune system", but an immune system for each kind of leukocyte their body will produce, and because each person varies in the degree to which the excitatory neurotransmitters (glutamatic acid, aspartic acid, nicotinic acid & acetylcholine) affect the production of each, they've got to tailor the dose individually, and as far as I know, no one knows how to do that other than by titration. So I picture viral patients in a big 19'th C. "ward" being dosed with the same amount of 'chloroquine, in a sort of crap shoot betting it's close to what they actually need and not too much or too little.
04-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #1398
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
. . . For what it's worth, we did bring -prescribed- hydroxychloroquine to India as a "just in case". Luckily, mosquito repellent was enough.
if memory serves we took that drug ( at least an antimalarial drug ) starting 2 days before we arrived in Tanzania and for a period of time after we came back

we've been lucky enough to go twice 2016 and 2019
04-04-2020, 04:37 AM - 5 Likes   #1399
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so a bartender isn't considered a reliable source ?
I'm afraid the side effects of 16 years aged Lagavulin Whisky are well known, but not well documented in research papers. Nevertheless people keep drinking it.

04-04-2020, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #1400
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm afraid the side effects of 16 years aged Lagavulin Whisky are well known, but not well documented in research papers. Nevertheless people keep drinking it.
if it is supplied free, I am willing to join a test

but I don't want it to be a double blind test

I want " the real McCoy " not the fake stuff
04-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #1401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
but I don't want it to be a double blind test
No worry. There is a protocol.
04-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #1402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it's a hard thing to do quickly since you have to have a large enough number of patients so that to be able to create various randomly split and large enough subgroups in order to demonstrate statistical significance. By the time effectiveness is demonstrated the epidemic might be over.
I would think with the number of worldwide infections, you should be able to recruit 10,000 patients pretty easily. I don't know if that study would have enough power to sort out all differences between treatment with and without, but it certainly would be a start.

04-04-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #1403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally my money is still on monoclonal antibodies being the most effective treatment as they quell the possibility of a cytokine storm* and work with the immune system. There have already been experimental treatments involving using plasma products from confirmed cases whom have successfully recovered.

Further reading for those interested:

Science News
FDA article
The Lancet
Mt.Sianai
STAT article

*which is by far the most dangerous reaction to any infection as it indiscriminately destroys tissue.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-05-2020 at 04:30 PM.
04-04-2020, 05:48 AM - 8 Likes   #1404
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With all these putative but as yet unvalidated cures, we already know what actually works:

Assume everything you touch is coated in viruses. Avoid them in the first place if possible, and wash your hands assiduously. Don't touch your face unless you have just washed your hands.

Imagine you have CoViD-19, and do everything you can to avoid passing it on to others. Distancing, cough etiquette, masks, etc.

If you actually think you are unwell, or have a serious contact, ISOLATE and get tested if possible.

If we all do that, we're set. Do what your government says. Even if they haven't come up with the perfect policies, adhering to them is still better than a free-for-all.
04-04-2020, 05:50 AM - 3 Likes   #1405
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My money is on there being no magic bullet treatment until the second wave comes through. That is to say that all of the purported treatments that are being tried currently reduce mortality ten to fifteen percent at most. Monoclonal antibodies are reasonable, but unlikely to be produced in huge amounts before this fall.

If you look at Tamiflu for influenza, it shortens the course of the illness 24 hours and has not been able to show much else. And that's a medication designed as an influenza antiviral medication. Nothing like taking antifungal medications and testing if they kill viruses in a culture dish.

Vaccines are the real way things like this are controlled but it will be the beginning of next year before they are truly available.
04-04-2020, 05:58 AM   #1406
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well I'm trying to look at the bright side of things

saving money

--- pretty sure that trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks in June is gone 85 % or more

--- pretty sure that the trip to San Francisco in late July is gone

------- the three ballgames Cubs vs. Giants won't be played 75 - 85 %

other activities 60 %

so money saved
04-04-2020, 06:00 AM - 5 Likes   #1407
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Debating with yourself Jim?
Not at all.
Sometimes the voices in my head don't each have the same opinion.
04-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #1408
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not at all.
Sometimes the voices in my head don't each have the same opinion.
is it a problem with voices in your head

if you make the final decision ?
04-04-2020, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #1409
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know.
I'll have to ask the voices.
04-04-2020, 06:57 AM - 5 Likes   #1410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter