Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not mine (thank goodness!)
Eeeeeeuw

---------- Post added 04-04-20 at 03:43 PM ----------

I had to check this wasn’t published on Wednesday

Birmingham and Merseyside masts torched over 5G coronavirus claims - BBC News

Really,the stupidity of some people!

Last edited by timb64; 04-04-2020 at 07:44 AM.
04-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #1412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And Namibia is in better shape than a lot of other countries in Africa. Is there a glimmer of hope in having a younger population, at least?
One would like to think so, but it seems that the people from their twenties onward can get it quite badly as well. And we are dealing with chronic malnutrition, TB and HIV as well. We might be in a better shape, but the outcome remains to be seen. We have lockdown in two regions and are the second least densely populated country. It sounds good, but large parts are inaccessible desert and the urban centres are quite densely populated as well; We do not have a model at this stage as to how countries with our demographic fares

Waiting for a storm that might not erupt, but the countries felt that way as well

Take care
04-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #1413
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
One would like to think so, but it seems that the people from their twenties onward can get it quite badly as well. And we are dealing with chronic malnutrition, TB and HIV as well. We might be in a better shape, but the outcome remains to be seen. We have lockdown in two regions and are the second least densely populated country. It sounds good, but large parts are inaccessible desert and the urban centres are quite densely populated as well; We do not have a model at this stage as to how countries with our demographic fares
Yes, you're probably right, unfortunately. The remoteness of some parts, like Kunene, might postpone things there, but the remoteness will not be a friend once it hits.

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Waiting for a storm that might not erupt, but the countries felt that way as well
Yeah, we tend to stick to the "it's not going to happen here" for just a bit too long.

Wishing you the best of luck.
04-04-2020, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I apologize if this has been posted before. The Washington Post had an article on the CDC recommending everyone wear a mask when going outdoors. As masks are now hard to come by I thought I would post this video.

How to make a

04-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #1415
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I apologize if this has been posted before. The Washington Post had an article on the CDC recommending everyone wear a mask when going outdoors. As masks are now hard to come by I thought I would post this video.
I've seen videos similar to this before, and I applaud the ingenuity - but how long can something like that last with the moisture from the wearer's breath?
04-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #1416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've seen videos similar to this before, and I applaud the ingenuity - but how long can something like that last with the moisture from the wearer's breath?
That's a good question. They're pretty cheap to make so I have a new one to wear while I'm outdoors which isn't all that often. The doctor who recommended a mask like this said not to use a woven fabric but a manufactured fabric like the shop towel in the video. It may not be perfect but it should help to protect us. Just my ¢¢.
04-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #1417
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a good question. They're pretty cheap to make so I have a new one to wear while I'm outdoors which isn't all that often. The doctor who recommended a mask like this said not to use a woven fabric but a manufactured fabric like the shop towel in the video. It may not be perfect but it should help to protect us. Just my ¢¢.
this article might be of help [ or not ]

QuoteQuote:
Which DIY mask pattern should you use? Even experts can’t pick one to recommend.

. . . Peter Tsai, the materials scientist who invented the electrostatic charging technology that N95 masks — the highest-quality medical masks on the market — rely on, also believes that homemade masks are an important part of the United States’ battle against the coronavirus. He offered another material for DIY mask makers to consider: nonwoven fabrics.

Nonwoven fabrics, which Tsai did years of research on to improve medical masks, are made of individual fibers or filaments that are bound together mechanically, thermally or chemically. They are not knit or woven together, like most cotton.

Not all nonwoven fabrics are ideal for masks. Wet wipes are made of nonwoven fabric but are too porous, Tsai said. Vacuum bags are also generally made of nonwoven fabric but are not breathable.Tsai recommended using car shop towels as mask material. The towels, available in rolls and often blue in color, would do a better job of filtering droplets than cloth, he said. The material is “very strong,” he said. “And it can be washed with soap and water and reused.” There are YouTube videos that offer tutorials on using this material.

The towels, he said, could also be used in conjunction with cloth masks, serving as an additional filtering layer. Still, like MacIntyre, he said that cloth is better than nothing. “Any cloth material can help. It is not perfect, but it can stop large droplets from getting out, and from getting in,” he said. . . .
DIY coronavirus masks:Which pattern should you use? - The Washington Post

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-04-2020 at 10:57 AM.
04-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #1418
Pentaxian

The UK Health Minister on TV address last night spoke out against the use of masks so that’s presumably our Government’s official take?
04-04-2020, 11:17 AM - 3 Likes   #1419
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I think a snorkel with an oil filter attached to the end is the way to go.
04-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #1420
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
The UK Health Minister on TV address last night spoke out against the use of masks so that’s presumably our Government’s official take?
I believe that's the official UK stance... but I chose to start wearing an N95 / FFP3 mask weeks ago for unavoidable supermarket trips. Using proper hand-cleasning, plus careful fitting and removal, it's not going to do me or anyone else any harm - and it may do some good. I'll gladly take any advantage, however slim, over none whatsoever
04-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #1421
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Joking aside, the reason for that may be a fear that they will give a false sense of security.
04-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #1422
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Those paper shop towels are pretty durable. I have used the consumer grade, shown in the video, and the commercial grade, used in shops where I have worked. The Big Shed has a version made to their specification BMS 15-5, used industry wide in aerospace.

They all have a mesh laid in as part of the process of creating the sheets, adding toughness and strength. The other layers, all the soft fluffy stuff for absorbing whatever, makes a durable and excellent filter material.

Speaking of The Big Shed, there are now 63 cases and one death among workers at that site since this thing began.
04-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #1423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

That's the article I got the video from.
04-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #1424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
. Don't touch your face unless you have just washed your hands.
Do we know if the virus in the air will stick to skin? After a walk do we need to wash our face as well as our hands? I am not talking about from larger droplets.
04-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #1425
Unregistered User

How to make a home made mask.
Not a problem in Virginia, where it's a felony to wear a mask in public. Good for five years in prison to partially cover the face such that one's identity might be concealed to some degree. The statute making it a crime contains an exception if the Governor declares a state of emergency in an order (which he's done) AND specifically suspends operation of that criminal statute AND the order contains a definite expiration date (which, as of today, he's refused to do).
Closed Thread