Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1771
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm immediately dubious considering the fact that this has been produced by The Epoch Times - and organisation which I won't describe as free from bias. Having said that, I would invite viewers to skip ahead to the 17min50sec mark as the following part makes for very interesting viewing.
The Epoch TImes hasn't quite sunk to the level of online hate publisher, but they are definitely one of the groups that has no problem with taking a kernel of truth and building great big lies around it.
One of the biggest challenges we are going to have with the coronavirus pandemic is these right wing groups spewing their conspiracy theories and disinformation. These are people who have never met a crisis they didn't like.

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's exactly it. We're not under official lockdown here in Canada, but we're self-isolating.

There's very little change for us, we'll go to the store less often, now just every week or two. No going out to bonfires at the neighbours either, but apart from that it's pretty much the same... (well, no skiing either, but that would be wrapping up now pretty soon anyways...)
Our local CBC Radio news was discussing what people are planning for Easter. Apparently a lot of die hard adherents are planning business as usual get the whole family together for supper types of celebrations.
One can't cure stupidity. I suspect for a lot of people, this really will be "The Last Supper".

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Things are still going to be rough for awhile. For all the talk about New York and New Jersey "flattening the curve," they are still adding 15,000 cases a day between them. Deaths tend to lag as the average person who dies with this doesn't die till eight days after diagnosis. The US is already at 14,000 deaths and that will go a lot higher before all is said and done.

On the other hand, I see people claiming that flattening the curve is just prolonging things and we should just go out there and have the people get it who get it and then we'll be done with it. Pretty crazy. I liken it to having all of your bills for a given year come due on January 1st and you have to pay for them all then or lose your home and vehicle. Most of us appreciate having our bill curve "flattened" throughout the year. But I suppose there is no convincing people who believe that economic impact is more important than the death of a few thousand people...
What do you suppose the economic impact of having bodies piling up on the sidewalks would be?

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 08:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Good News is always welcomed

in my humble opinion

pour it on

certain countries do have " advantages " in being able to " bring up the drawbridges "

although no " castle " is completely able to seal itself completely

I laugh at efforts to seal by the US to seal the border between it and Canada

the roads certainly but otherwise it will remain open to determined individuals
The really funny thing about that was that there is only one person in the world that thinks the USA is a better place to be than Canada right now. We are fine with the USA posting soldiers at the border as long as they are there to keep people in.

04-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #1772
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
. . . These are people who have never met a crisis they didn't like. . . . .
lots of groups taking advantage:

" we don't like what the Governor did, it interferes with freedom of religion, so we prevented her order from taking effect

but don't go out and gather in groups to worship "

BTW, the order applies to all groups over a certain size so there was no illegal interference with freedom of religion
04-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #1773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Epoch TImes hasn't quite sunk to the level of online hate publisher, but they are definitely one of the groups that has no problem with taking a kernel of truth and building great big lies around it.
One of the biggest challenges we are going to have with the coronavirus pandemic is these right wing groups spewing their conspiracy theories and disinformation. These are people who have never met a crisis they didn't like.

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 08:44 AM ----------

Our local CBC Radio news was discussing what people are planning for Easter. Apparently a lot of die hard adherents are planning business as usual get the whole family together for supper types of celebrations.
One can't cure stupidity. I suspect for a lot of people, this really will be "The Last Supper".

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 08:47 AM ----------

What do you suppose the economic impact of having bodies piling up on the sidewalks would be?
Didn't the Epoch Times publish some articles for the anti-vaccine movement? Because that automatically tanks the credibility.
04-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #1774
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .
The really funny thing about that was that there is only one person in the world that thinks the USA is a better place to be than Canada right now. We are fine with the USA posting soldiers at the border as long as they are there to keep people in.
I've only been in a small part of Canada but I always remember our trip to the Boundary Waters in N E Minnesota when I was a scout

[ Superior National Forest - Special Places ]

camping at the lake shore

" Are we supposed to be in Canada ? "

" No "

" well I just found a boundary marker about 50 yards south of us, so we are in Canada "

" no we are not "

[ I was talking to the Assistant Scout Master - my dad ]

04-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #1775
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How can a mask protect only one way? Is mask uni-directional? Meaning when the virus goes from infected individual it can't go though the mask filter. However when the virus comes from outside of the mask the virus particles can go through the mask filter structure? Do mask microfibers act like a one way valve for virus but not for air?
Masks trap moisture which is the carrier for the virus.
The problem with masks is that they saturate with moisture from the wearer exhaling, and it happens surprisingly quickly, at which time the mask is worse than useless.
04-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #1776
Veteran Member

Well, I bloody hope it's not business as usual. BC is starting to look like it may flatten the curve, but only if current measures being taken are continued to be followed.
04-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #1777
Pentaxian

Some people have to make some rational decisions:

QuoteQuote:
"And no, Mom, I'm not going," Beirut-based freelance journalist Abby Sewell wrote in a tweet about the US embassy announcement.
Responding to her tweet, a Lebanese journalist said: "For once I'm like no America is not safer than here." Sewell's mother, Meg Sewell, replied: "Actually, for the moment I might have to agree."
Sewell tells CNN she never considered taking the US embassy's offer.
"From everything I'm reading, the situation is worse in the US, in terms of the number of cases, prevention measures or lack thereof, and how overburdened the health system is," she says.
"Also, since I've been living overseas for years, I don't have health insurance in the US now, so if I did go back and then got sick, I would be looking at paying thousands of dollars out of pocket."
US citizens in Lebanon decline repatriation offer, saying it's "safer" in Beirut - CNN

04-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #1778
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Well, I bloody hope it's not business as usual. BC is starting to look like it may flatten the curve, but only if current measures being taken are continued to be followed.
We are at 253 confirmed cases as of yesterday, and seem to be adding a dozen or so cases per day. I expect that what is happening in Saskatchewan is that people are already thinking that we danger since our counts are so low.
I would not be surprised in the least if we see a big spike in a couple of weeks because of the stupid people with their "we must go to grandma's house for Easter supper" attitude.
04-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #1779
Veteran Member

We are at 253 confirmed cases as of yesterday, and seem to be adding a dozen or so cases per day. I expect that what is happening in Saskatchewan is that people are already not seeing any danger since our counts are so low.
I would not be surprised in the least if we see a big spike in a couple of weeks because of the stupid people with their "we must go to grandma's house for Easter supper" attitude.
As of yesterday we're at 1336 confirmed in BC, with only 130 in Interior Health (which is pretty much all of southern BC except along the coast)... I haven't been following the whole of BC, but within the interior, the amount of cases seems to have started to slow down going up...
04-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #1780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We are at 253 confirmed cases as of yesterday, and seem to be adding a dozen or so cases per day. I expect that what is happening in Saskatchewan is that people are already thinking that we danger since our counts are so low.
Considering I'm non-baptized, expatriated and introvert: "Skype with the family as usual, use the vacation to wind down for some days not thinking about work and chillax like a baller".
04-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #1781
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Interesting seeing people over there still argue about wearing mask while many country in East Asia take it as a no brainier to Wear mask when go out right now.
There was also a discussion whether having a beard would or wouldn't change efficiency of the masks. Some people may have cut their beard as a result, then have to let it grow again after the end of the epidemic.
04-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #1782
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

There was also a discussion whether having a beard would or wouldn't change efficiency of the masks. Some people may have cut their beard as a result, then have to let it grow again after the end of the epidemic.
shave off my beard

over my dead body

wait a second

perhaps time for a second thought
04-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #1783
Pentaxian

perhaps time for a second thought
Beard can be a sign of being wise. Losing it can alter personal self-image causing more mental distress than good.
04-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #1784
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, the order applies to all groups over a certain size so there was no illegal interference with freedom of religion
So, by the same reasoning, If the governor said that there was so much misinformation or confusing information circulating that no one may speak publicly without governmental approval that wouldn't be interfering with freedom of the press because it applied to everyone else as well?
04-09-2020, 09:13 AM - 4 Likes   #1785
Veteran Member

When I worked in a biotech lab, we were fit tested for N95 masks. No facial hair was allowed. It makes it next to impossible to get a proper fit. There is no point to wearing a high efficiency mask, only to have the contaminants pass at the edges.

al
Closed Thread