Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 09:14 AM - 4 Likes   #1786
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
As of yesterday we're at 1336 confirmed in BC, with only 130 in Interior Health (which is pretty much all of southern BC except along the coast)... I haven't been following the whole of BC, but within the interior, the amount of cases seems to have started to slow down going up...
You guys have about 5 times the population, and Vancouver, so you are doing better than we are, all things considered. This presumes, of course, that testing is about the same in both provinces, and that I cannot speak to.

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 10:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So, by the same reasoning, If the governor said that there was so much misinformation or confusing information circulating that no one may speak publicly without governmental approval that wouldn't be interfering with freedom of the press because it applied to everyone else as well?
And this has exactly what to do with limiting the size of groups that can form in one small area?
Oh right, nothing.
Jim, no one is saying that preachers can't preach, unless I missed something, nor is there any restriction on freedom of association.
We have this thing called the internet now. Perhaps you have heard of it?
It allows for people to meet with each other from the comfort of their own homes.
Sure, it's not what your beloved founding fathers envisaged, but then, they didn't have electricity.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-09-2020 at 09:23 AM.
04-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #1787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sure, it's not what your beloved founding fathers envisaged, but then, they didn't have electricity.
Or as you mentioned, the Internet. I cannot tell you just how much Skype has helped my sanity (and that of many friends) while abroad. It's invaluable.
04-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #1788
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Or as you mentioned, the Internet. I cannot tell you just how much Skype has helped my sanity (and that of many friends) while abroad. It's invaluable.
What Skype, Facetime, and live interactive broadcasting over various platforms does is cut the legs out from under the freedom of association argument for all but the most bloody minded.

---------- Post added Apr 9th, 2020 at 10:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
When I worked in a biotech lab, we were fit tested for N95 masks. No facial hair was allowed. It makes it next to impossible to get a proper fit. There is no point to wearing a high efficiency mask, only to have the contaminants pass at the edges.

al
One thing to note is that a lot of N95 masks have an exhalation valve. These allow for some aerosol leakage (the manufacturers say it is "minimal"), and over time will allow greater and greater leakage.
04-09-2020, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #1789
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Beard can be a sign of being wise. Losing it can alter personal self-image causing more mental distress than good.
[ true story ]

moved to town and visited a church for the first time

met the Pastor outside of the worship area, he had a neatly trimmed beard

I put my fingers on mine and said " You look wise and intelligent "

He put his fingers to his and said " so do you "

later as he began his sermon. he put his fingers to his beard and stated " As was remarked earlier, I bear the sign of wisdom "

my wife hit me in the ribs as I whispered that we needed to go here because I needed a Pastor with a sense of humor

When I worked in a biotech lab, we were fit tested for N95 masks. No facial hair was allowed. It makes it next to impossible to get a proper fit. There is no point to wearing a high efficiency mask, only to have the contaminants pass at the edges.

al
since my mask isn't one of those,

I will keep the beard and take my chances

04-09-2020, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #1790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
[ true story ]

moved to town and visited a church for the first time

met the Pastor outside of the worship area, he had a neatly trimmed beard

I put my fingers on mine and said " You look wise and intelligent "

He put his fingers to his and said " so do you "

later as he began his sermon. he put his fingers to his beard and stated " As was remarked earlier, I bear the sign of wisdom "

my wife hit me in the ribs as I whispered that we needed to go here because I needed a Pastor with a sense of humor

since my mask isn't one of those,

lol I hear you Allen, and I am sure you already know this but theres a fundamental difference in the purpose of the masks .. The N95 is supposed to protect the wearer from pathogens being inhaled.. A non- N95 mask as they are currently recommending people not in the medical response groups to use is to protect other people should the wearer of the non-N95 mask have covid-19. These fabric masks and non N-95 masks everyone is wearing offers little protection to the wearer... its to protect the people around the wearer from the wearer.

al
04-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #1791
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

lol I hear you Allen, and I am sure you already know this but theres a fundamental difference in the purpose of the masks .. The N95 is supposed to protect the wearer from pathogens being inhaled.. A non- N95 mask as they are currently recommending people not in the medical response groups to use is to protect other people should the wearer of the non-N95 mask have covid-19. These fabric masks and non N-95 masks everyone is wearing offers little protection to the wearer... its to protect the people around the wearer from the wearer.

al
I actually have a small supply of standard medical masks

similar to this:

CVS Health Procedural Face Masks (MEDICAL MASK) - CVS Pharmacy

obtained well before the crisis

[ as a docent at my local zoo, I was stuffing hay and alfalfa into feed bags for elephants and giraffes and got the masks to prevent inhalation of dust and other stuff ]

they do not seal and filter like the N 95 style
04-09-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #1792
Veteran Member

I actually have a small supply of standard medical masks

similar to this:

CVS Health Procedural Face Masks (MEDICAL MASK) - CVS Pharmacy

obtained well before the crisis

[ as a docent at my local zoo, I was stuffing hay and alfalfa into feed bags for elephants and giraffes and got the masks to prevent inhalation of dust and other stuff ]

they do not seal and filter like the N 95 style
Exactly, these don't protect the wearer... they protect the people around the wearer.

al

04-09-2020, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1793
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Unfortunately, you are also imposing "your chances" on everyone else to come close to. As you yourself advocated, you wear a functioning mask to help your neighbor (and they wear a mask to help you).

Thus, at this juncture in history, a beard (outside the home) is more a sign of selfishness than wisdom.

Maybe someone needs to start a #ShaveToSave movement in which bearded men "take one for team." Otherwise, they should not go out in public.
04-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #1794
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
You had it right the first time.

There is no bright side to look at.
04-09-2020, 11:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1795
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Unfortunately, you are also imposing "your chances" on everyone else to come close to. As you yourself advocated, you wear a functioning mask to help your neighbor (and they wear a mask to help you).

Thus, at this juncture in history, a beard (outside the home) is more a sign of selfishness than wisdom.

Maybe someone needs to start a #ShaveToSave movement in which bearded men "take one for team." Otherwise, they should not go out in public.
Selfish or not, I absolutely refuse to cut my mustache off.

It is my machismo.
Attached Images

04-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #1796
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

I will take your advice under consideration

but since my mask doesn't protect me from the virus, I'm probably not going to take your advice
04-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #1797
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Selfish or not, I absolutely refuse to cut my mustache off.

It is my machismo.
Do you wax that or just leave it natural?
04-09-2020, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #1798
Veteran Member

I will take your advice under consideration

but since my mask doesn't protect me from the virus, I'm probably not going to take your advice
Allen,
You best hope the guy sporting a beard and loose mask next to you with Covid-19 doesn't sneeze... you might end up wishing HE had shaved,

al
04-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #1799
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Do you wax that or just leave it natural?
Sometimes I wax it.

Sometimes I braid it.

Sometimes I leave it free form.

Today I think I may wax and braid it.
04-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #1800
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Simple fact: all laws are political, as they are what frames the "acceptable behaviour" of a given society, and that's inherently the domain of politics.
I agree with you in part. Discussion of how the red light law came about, whether it should or shouldn't have been enacted, which council members/Senators/Representatives voted for it, etc., would be a political issue. The mere statement that the law exists is not.
Closed Thread