QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Today I think I may wax and braid it.
Pictures, or it didn't happen!

04-09-2020, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree with you in part. Discussion of how the red light law came about, whether it should or shouldn't have been enacted, which council members/Senators/Representatives voted for it, etc., would be a political issue. The mere statement that the law exists is not.
That is true, but to talk about the first ten Amendments, say that they are what they are and put as an example a law that ambulances are allowed to break when it's an emergency sounds like the justification of a political stance - to me at least. And I have no problems with it, but then we have to clarify what counts as politics and what doesn't . It's pretty muddy waters there, if you ask me.

04-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #1803
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are really concerned about the freedom of speech part of your constitution,
Not worried at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Preachers can still preach, people can still pray, and churches can run their services remotely so that no one has to endanger their neighbors while still getting their weekly dose of hypocrisy.
Absolutely right. No problem with that, either.
04-09-2020, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #1804
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don’t mind playing Devil’s Advocate - doing it frequently myself - but it seems to me that perhaps this is a good time to avoid overdoing it on certain subjects likely to flame up... All laws are inherently political and codify some sort of social ‘agreement’ on ${WHATEVER}. Rarely, if ever, is there complete agreement on The details, or the balance between rights and obligations, and when it’s justifiable to break the agreement. I’m in favor of everyone keeping things chilled out to the greatest degree possible. YMMV...

04-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #1805
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I’m in favor of everyone keeping things chilled out to the greatest degree possible. YMMV...
Agreed.
04-09-2020, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #1806
Pentaxian

Born survivor!

Coronavirus: Keith Watson, 101, recovers from Covid-19 - BBC News
04-09-2020, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #1807
Pentaxian

I feel this twist about laws and politics on meta level is not helping this thread.

It is also leaving the topic behind.

04-09-2020, 02:44 PM - 6 Likes   #1808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It is also leaving the topic behind.
Alright then, back on topic folks.

So there's a couple key things which the transmission rate of the coronavirus depends on:
1. How dense the population is
2. How dense the population is
04-09-2020, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #1809
Veteran Member

In the Netherlands a 107 year old lady recovered from the virus.
Women have a better chance to survive.
04-09-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #1810
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

So there's a couple key things which the transmission rate of the coronavirus depends on:
There's another factor that came to mind the other day.
Transportation
NYC relies more heavily on public transportation a lot of other places. Stuffing 30 people into a bus or a subway car is bound to spread disease faster than 30 people each driving their own vehicle to work, shopping, etc.
04-09-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #1811
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

Bert,
SPOT ON.. But I will add to it.
3. How "DENSE" the individuals and leaders of the population are.

AL
04-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #1812
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

latest
QuoteQuote:
4:53 p.m.
Laura Kelly, the Democratic governor of Kansas, on Thursday asked the state’s Supreme Court to resurrect an executive order limiting religious gatherings to 10 people after a Republican-controlled legislative council voted Wednesday to revoke it.

The governor’s lawsuit marks the latest chapter in an escalating controversy over public health and religion that is coming to a head as Easter nears.

Kansas reached 1,106 cases of the coronavirus Thursday, and health officials say three church gatherings are responsible for clusters of cases across the state.

But Kelly’s executive order removing exemptions for religious gatherings and funerals met stiff resistance from Republican lawmakers and law enforcement. The state’s attorney general, Derek Schmidt (R), advised police not to enforce it. And on Wednesday, a small group of state lawmakers known as the Legislative Coordinating Council moved on party lines to jettison the order, saying that it violated the state constitution.

In an interview Thursday, Kelly called the vote “mind-blowing.”

“This is a purely political move, one that I find incredibly unfortunate,” she said. While the legislature as a whole has the authority to check her emergency powers, she said, the seven-person council does not.

By Isaac Stanley-Becker
Coronavirus live updates: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves ICU; New York needs more funeral directors to handle deaths, Andrew Cuomo says - The Washington Post
04-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #1813
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There's another factor that came to mind the other day.
Transportation
NYC relies more heavily on public transportation a lot of other places. Stuffing 30 people into a bus or a subway car is bound to spread disease faster than 30 people each driving their own vehicle to work, shopping, etc.
it isn't just NYC

many other large urban centers rely on mass transit and thus the idea of " social distancing " for those populations is close to impossible for many individuals
04-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #1814
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the problem is that advice doesn't protect you from me if I am infected but don't know it

if I chose to wear a mask, any mask, you are then better protected from me

correct ?

so why not ask people to wear a mask

and when the better ones are in ample supply, so I am not interferring with the essential people who need them, I will get the better ones
Maybe. The problem is that, after a very short while, the mask becomes useless as it gets moist. Added to that, the problem that when people wear a mask, they tend to touch it and re-position it on their face often. This means that that any contaminants on the mask is easily spread to the hands. And, once on the hands it's spread everywhere.

That's why masks may help but they may not. We simply don't know.
04-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #1815
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
. . . We simply don't know.
about too many things with this virus, I agree

and without passage of time, we won't increase our knowledge.

and yet decisions that may take an untold toll on us are being made on imprecise data because some want certain things done

regardless of our lack of knowledge

another example, at least to me, about how dense some people are
Closed Thread