Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #2671
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it appears our future army leaders will be put at risk quickly:

QuoteQuote:
Trump wants to make the commencement address, so West Point will summon its cadets back.

. . . they are now summoning 1,000 cadets scattered across the country to return to campus in New York, the state at the center of the outbreak. . . .

“He’s the commander in chief, that’s his call,” said Sue Fulton, a West Point graduate and former chairwoman of the academy’s Board of Visitors. “Cadets are certainly excited about the opportunity to have something like the classic graduation, standing together, flinging their hats in the air.
“But everyone is leery about bringing 1,000 cadets into the New York metropolitan area for a ceremony,” she added. “It’s definitely a risk.”

Lt. Gen. Darryl A. Williams, the West Point superintendent, said in a telephone interview that returning seniors will be tested off-campus. Those who test negative will then be sent to the school, where they will be monitored for 14 days before graduation. While the campus has enough dormitory rooms for the 1,000 seniors, General Williams said that he was still deciding whether seniors would share bedrooms on their return.

“All 1,000 of them will not intermix,” he said. “They’ll be in their rooms. They’ll have their masks on. Groups will be segregated in the mess hall when they eat.” . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-west-point....gtype=Homepage

will families be allowed to attend as well ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-24-2020 at 02:47 PM.
04-24-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #2672
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Not sure about UV, but if you ever had a colonoscopy, there are ways other than swallowing to get lights and camera in there. What a joy that is.
It would be even more of a joy to get to the lungs via that method.
04-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #2673
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

our future:

QuoteQuote:
Up until late March, 80 percent of the counties with high prevalence of the coronavirus were home to large urban cores, according to a new analysis by William Frey, a senior demographer at the Brookings Institution. But over the last three weeks, the share of suburban, small metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas experiencing coronavirus prevalence has grown.

Now, more than half the counties showing signs of rapid growth are outside metro areas. . . . confirmed cases are growing at faster rates in smaller, more rural states. In just the last three days, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wisconsin have all recorded their highest-ever daily case counts. . . .

The spread of the coronavirus to rural areas will be slower, experts said, because of some built-in defenses those communities can use to their advantage: Lower population density means more natural social distancing. Public transit, which has spread the virus in places like New York City, is not a factor in many rural communities. And those areas have fewer connections to big metropolises. But those connections exist, meaning the virus will spread, eventually. . . .

Once the virus arrives in rural areas, the demographics of America's smaller towns mean it will likely put millions of lives in jeopardy. Rural Americans are older, more prone to underlying conditions like diabetes, heart disease and hypertension, and more likely to smoke -- all risk factors that heighten one's vulnerability to the worst symptoms of COVID-19.

Their communities are also less likely to have hospitals with the capacity needed to handle a potential surge in cases. An epidemic of rural hospital closures in recent years has robbed hundreds of communities of their local providers, and the pandemic itself has put tremendous budget pressure on those that remain, as states order freezes on elective surgeries and patients cancel scheduled doctor visits.

"Some of those places may be medically underserved, there may be more chronic conditions," Adalja said. "Those rural areas may end up having disproportionate numbers of people who need to be hospitalized."
Coronavirus spreads to Trump country | TheHill
04-24-2020, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #2674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You mean a $1200 cheque isn't enough for several months?
Why is it you find that AMUSING??

04-24-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2675
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It would be even more of a joy to get to the lungs via that method.
you appear to have a strange sense of what constitutes " joy "
04-24-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is clear that Trump isn't a doctor. Those who take his medical advice (whether it is given tongue in cheek or not) have no one to blame but themselves. A quick google search will inform anyone that this isn't recommended.

I do think the New York statistics are interesting. If, based on antibody testing, about 14 percent of the population of New York has had covid, then there have been 2.8 million people in New York who got covid with 21,000 deaths. That puts the death rate at about .75 percent or about seven and half times more virulent than influenza.

The problem as I see it is that only about 15 percent of the population gets influenza per flu season, where by all accounts this could easily hit 50 or 60 percent of the population if no measures were taken to counteract it. A death rate of 0.75 percent and say 150 million people infected is about 1.1 million deaths. That feels like a lot and good reason to try to make some efforts to control things.

That said, people do not have endless funds. In many states they have been unemployed since the middle of March. Eventually, they need to be able to work in order to take care of their families. Shutting things down till July or August is a burden that is greater than most families can handle from a financial standpoint.
Thank you for stating it so ELOQUENTLY
04-24-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2677
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Why is it you find that AMUSING??
sarcasm definition - Google Search

04-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #2678
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you guys get a stimulus check? Serious question.
04-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #2679
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't yet.
04-24-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2680
Veteran Member

If you've lost your employment in Canada due to COVD-19, you're eligible for $2000/month for four months... and then in BC, also a one-time, tax-free $1000 benefit...
04-24-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2681
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, and perhaps we should have enforced that, but sometimes the movie plot is SO BAD that it's mesmerizing and you just can't bring yourself to change the channel.
It is like the RH days all over again. Sorta.
04-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #2682
Pentaxian

If you've lost your employment in Canada due to COVD-19, you're eligible for $2000/month for four months... and then in BC, also a one-time, tax-free $1000 benefit...
cool.
04-24-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #2683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been lucky enough to keep my work (in Germany) through this so no benefits are applicable. My father's company (in Spain) has applied for a six-month reduction in workers' working hours, and the government will subsidize about 80% of that (so about a 15% reduction of total salary).
04-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #2684
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I haven't yet.
Me neither, I had to pay tax for 2019, so they did not have by bank details. I fixed that when I checked on the IRS website, it says I'm eligible and they will let me know when they will make the deposit. I feel a bit guilty as I'm retired and did not really suffer financially. I took a hit on my IRA of about 90k from it's peak earlier this year, but have already got about 60k back and do not need to make a withdrawal before the end of the year. I'm not so guilty as to give it away though.
04-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #2685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NO I think some people have lots of money and don't understand the suffering of the those of us that indeed need to work in order to LIVE AND EAT.
Closed Thread