Condolences to you and the family Dave.

04-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #2732
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Fake news, Mark, all of it.

---------- Post added 04-24-20 at 05:41 PM ----------

How many are covid deaths and aren't tested? Just saying.
Yeah, maybe they all died from overeating.
04-24-2020, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #2733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
How many people had this had no symptoms and are just fine now?? mm that would surely off set the death percentages,additionally would probable show it has been here since early January
Two hundred thousand deaths worldwide are still two hundred thousand deaths worldwide (plus the ones we don't know, plus the ones that are caused because the hospitals are jam-packed, the doctors are getting sick and the patients can't get proper care).

And that is with all the measures taken. With all the technological progress made since the last big pandemics. In the case of the US, with 50 thousand deaths, in a month. Extrapolate. That comes out to more than half a million over a year.

It takes a lot of delusion to say "this is not a problem".
04-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #2734
Pentaxian

Funny I just remember 1960 in my child time in Russia
My mom she was a doctor use UV light in Russia call Кварц therapy for treatment oral and nasal infection
Just remember black glasses to protect eye and long tube with UV light go to nose and mouth
May same call now photo therapy
But another point when I watch Euro news hundred people spray staff on the street plaza airport it not here in US A or
And SouthKorea hospital big robot machine with power UV light moving across hospital floor

04-24-2020, 06:09 PM - 3 Likes   #2735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There were several things that made the 1918-1919 flu worse than other H1N1 flu strains:
Firstly, it killed many younger (healthy) people, where most flu strains seem to kill health and/or immune compromised individuals.
Secondly, it's the only flue strain I know of that caused haemorrhaging of mucous membranes. People were dying literally bleeding through their ears, mouth, nose, etc.

My grandparents met during the 1918-1919 flu. They were tasked by their church to take food to people's homes - people who were too sick to look after themselves. My granny said that they went to many houses, knocked and went inside to find entire families dead in their beds. Even though they must have both been exposed to the virus multiple times neither my grandfather or grandmother got very ill.
I know; at my mom's village some houses were bringing out three twenty-year olds out in pine boxes in a matter of weeks... terrible pandemic indeed.

Still, we have to take into account several things:

- As I said, no antibiotics to minimize the risk of bacterial pneumonia (which is really not a nice thing to have and more or less a death sentence).
- The bleeding should be consistent with either pneumococcal pneumonia, but also possibly because of cytokine release. If you have many different types of pathogen (flu virus + different bacteria) I can imagine that will compound the issue as the body will go crazy trying to stop them and metaphorically explode.
- General undernourishment of the population, with far worse hygiene standards
- The general kerfuffle around Europe tying up medical resources and dominating the media (let's not forget that the Spanish flu was so called because many other countries was busy suppressing the information as they at war... it did not originate in Spain but Spain was the first to "admit" there was a problem)

Honestly, we've seen what the H5N1 ("avian flu", about... 60% mortality it was?) does, we've seen what the H1N1 did in 2009 (same strain as the 1918 one). We are far better equipped to deal with any kind of pandemic than we were in 1918.

---------- Post added 04-24-20 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
My grandpa told be he had the Spanish flu, he joked that it was not his biggest problem. He was on the Somme with the "Pals" brigades for the whole of the battle there and was "upgraded to Ypres where he caught it, he said they called it 3 day fever. Strange that there were no more casualties in the trenches since the conditions were appalling.
I really don't want to think about what life in the Somme was like. Particularly if you happened to be British... About the trench mortality, there's always the matter of "how many deaths will the lads think are acceptable for this front?"

It wouldn't be the first time that it's "all quiet on the Western front", huh...

---------- Post added 04-24-20 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
My mom she was a doctor use UV light in Russia call Кварц therapy for treatment oral and nasal infection
Just remember black glasses to protect eye and long tube with UV light go to nose and mouth
But another point when I watch Euro news hundred people spray staff on the street plaza airport it not here in US A or
And SouthKorea hospital big robot machine with power UV light moving across hospital floor
Well, UV light is very good at disinfecting. The problem is that it's very... indiscriminate in its job . Exposing the delicate lung tissue to it would be a terrible idea.
04-24-2020, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #2736
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
no antibiotics to minimize the risk of bacterial pneumonia (which is really not a nice thing to have and more or less a death sentence).
In 1987 my father went to the doctor because he woke up with a cough. The doc admitted him to the hospital. Just a bit more 12 hours after walking into the doctor's office he died. He didn't have any strain of influenza. It was pneumococcal pneumonia.

It's been a while since I was a medic but at the time (perhaps still?), statistically, pneumonia was the number one cause of death for those who died in a hospital. Often nosocomial.
04-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #2737
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
I had that therapy in the fifties in UK for sinus problems.

04-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #2738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In 1987 my father went to the doctor because he woke up with a cough. The doc admitted him to the hospital. Just a bit more 12 hours after walking into the doctor's office he died. He didn't have any strain of influenza. It was pneumococcal pneumonia.

It's been a while since I was a medic but at the time (perhaps still?), statistically, pneumonia was the number one cause of death for those who died in a hospital. Often nosocomial.
I'm sorry to hear about that

Yep, those little monsters are a very dangerous problem. And they act fast. Heck, they can even produce hydrogen peroxide, which quite literally dissolves you from inside. Also, you're absolutely right, primary cause of death in ICUs: Hospital-acquired pneumonia - Wikipedia
04-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #2739
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.....we've seen what the H1N1 did in 2009 (same strain as the 1918 one). We are far better equipped to deal with any kind of pandemic than we were in 1918.....
While they were both H1N1 viruses, they were, none the less, genetically, very different. The 2009 H1N1 virus was genetically closer to N1N2 viruses, specifically A/swine/Indiana/9K035/1999 (H1N2), A/swine/Indiana/P12439/2000 (H1N2) and A/swine/Minnesota/55551/2000 (H1N2).

But, it behaved more like a H1N1 virus like the 1918 sub-type in that it seemed to elicit an immune response from people previously exposed to H1N1.

One reason for this was put forth in Scientific American:

"Although the swine flu has a very different genetic composition and makeup within the inside, on the outside, this particular protein, which is called the hemagglutinin, looks very similar between the 1918 influenza virus and the swine flu," Ian Wilson, of the Department of Molecular Biology at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, Calif. and co-author of the Science paper, explained in a podcast interview with Science.
04-24-2020, 08:23 PM - 6 Likes   #2740
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Today on this thread has been quite a run. Whew!!

But it seems like just a reflection of how the absurdity of reality and the reality of the absurdity are going.
04-24-2020, 08:35 PM - 5 Likes   #2741
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
But it seems like just a reflection of how the absurdity of reality and the reality of the absurdity are going.
And for those who don't let facts get in the way of a strongly held opinion, there are plenty of memberships available below......................just sayin'....

The Flat Earth Society - Home | Facebook
04-24-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #2742
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Did you guys get a stimulus check? Serious question.
Our son did. We don’t qualify.
04-24-2020, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #2743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's been shown that the approach you believe in is the wrong one. The science is there if you care to look.
About face masks: They only help for a while and then they don't help any more. The while they work for can be as short as 15 minutes. Once the filter saturates with moisture from exhaling, the mask is transmitting in both directions. If you are using a mask with a breather valve, it is transmitting outwards from the moment you put it on.
Oh, and masks tend to cause people touch their face more often to adjust them for comfort, so if you have a virus load on the mask, odds are you will transfer it to your face where there are 5 points of potential ingestion.
I've seen people with N95 masks pulled down around their chin(s) walk up to the entrance to my store, pull the mask up when they walk in and then pull the mask down again when they leave. Depending on what they have touched in the store, they have transferred virus loading to the mask, and when next time they adjust it, they will transfer that load to their face (see the part about the 5 points of entry). Also, if a person happens to have a beard, N95 type masks are worse than useless as they are wasing the resource for someone who doesn't have facial hair.

---------- Post added Apr 24th, 2020 at 10:54 AM ----------

How about this?
Attached Images

04-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #2744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Today on this thread has been quite a run. Whew!!

Yep,this thread has now overtaken the Joke thread which has been running four years longer,another demonstration of the virus' virulence
04-25-2020, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #2745
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
How about this?
He is breathing through this mouth

Closed Thread