Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2020, 02:58 AM   #2746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There were several things that made the 1918-1919 flu worse than other H1N1 flu strains:
Firstly, it killed many younger (healthy) people, where most flu strains seem to kill health and/or immune compromised individuals.
Secondly, it's the only flue strain I know of that caused haemorrhaging of mucous membranes. People were dying literally bleeding through their ears, mouth, nose, etc.

My grandparents met during the 1918-1919 flu. They were tasked by their church to take food to people's homes - people who were too sick to look after themselves. My granny said that they went to many houses, knocked and went inside to find entire families dead in their beds. Even though they must have both been exposed to the virus multiple times neither my grandfather or grandmother got very ill.
It is really clear that World War I drastically increased the mortality rate of the flu pandemic of 1918-18. That influenza came on a world that had been devastated by war, had wide spread malnutrition and field hospitals which had little to no hygiene and sanitation in them. In addition, the sickest men were transported from the front lines to these hospitals meaning that worse strains tend to be the ones that spread most. I am not totally convinced that antibiotics would have made much difference in that scenario, whereas have better conditions in the world and the hospitals might have helped a lot more.

Certainly, as you mentioned, Tamiflu is not a wonder drug and wouldn't have changed the course of things significantly.

04-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #2747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are having the same debate here in the UK about whether lockdown was started too late/should be lifted/should not have been as strict/should not have happened at all.

The politicians are guided by the scientists and medical experts. The risk of lockdown is that the economy suffers to such a degree that deaths from that (poverty leading to general ill health) can outweigh those saved from corvid19. It is a delicate balance to judge and is not an exact science.

A radio presenter was yesterday espousing the view that the small percentage who will die from corvid19 should be sacrificed for the good of the many. On the face of it a cold hearted approach, although it will feature in the calculations I referred to in my previous sentence. But this approach (involving ending lockdown early, or having never started at all) will lead to consequences for everyone, not just those who are especially susceptible to the virus. A rapid spread of the virus through those who are especially vulnerable (70+ and existing health conditions) will mean that hospitals and particularly acute intensive care beds will rapidly fill up. Infections among those who will recover will also increase, meaning that doctors and nursing staff numbers will decline as they have to stop work for a week or two. So if you are a cancer patient going through essential chemotherapy, or parents of a child developing meningitis, or you have a serious road accident, or develop a complication that ordinarily could be easily treated in hospital, you will find there is nowhere for you to go.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the best course. But the governments guided by the scientists and medical experts and detailed modelling are putting measures in place that they think will be the best for all. It will involve some frighteningly tough decisions about who will live or die. I would not like to be in their shoes right now.
04-25-2020, 03:47 AM - 4 Likes   #2748
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
It's a sad reflection on the population that anyone listened to the briefing and seriously thought that drinking or injecting Lysol was being advocated.
I watched that briefing. It certainly looked like the option was being put on the table. Apparently the makers of bleach and disinfectants felt the same way.
It's more a sad reflection on the person standing at the dais sounding unhinged

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-25-2020 at 04:01 AM.
04-25-2020, 04:04 AM   #2749
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like many people I like some measure of control over my life

now with the virus, I feel that I have lost control

I am in the reported targeted group, age, preexisting conditions, that is in most danger should I contract it

having to cancel plans, not only for vacation and other travel but local as well

I just informed my local zoo that I will not be returning as a docent when they plan on reopening in a few weeks.

I see no way to control social distancing of those who want to get views of the animals

I am attempting to recover the costs of membership at a local gym and from a personal trainer since I see no way to go to a gym and avoid possible contamination

how isolated must I be ?

knowing that isolation isn't good for me

decisions, decisions, decisions

". . . ahh, there's the rub . . . "

what is best for me and my loved ones ?

04-25-2020, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2750
Veteran Member

FWIW.... seeing what the odd world leader has to say (one is an odd number isn't it?) could not be scripted in one's wildest imagination.
04-25-2020, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #2751
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
FWIW.... seeing what the odd world leader has to say (one is an odd number isn't it?) could not be scripted in one's wildest imagination.
or worst nightmare
04-25-2020, 05:06 AM - 3 Likes   #2752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The face of the scientific advisor was a macabre poem.

I had to watch the video recording because I thought that, this time, finally, it was an exaggeration or grossly out of context, it just couldn't possibly.

Oh boy was I wrong.

04-25-2020, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #2753
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Social distancing was NOT an invention of the Chinese so you don't have to take the word of the Chinese government on this...
I did NOT say it was a Chinese invention!
I said "Chinese's model" which is very strict and indiscriminately social distancing people, I favor more on Taiwan's model which focus more on early prevention combine with focusing on distancing only those coming from contagion area/countries for a period of time to make sure they are not sick.
04-25-2020, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #2754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I did NOT say it was a Chinese invention!
I said "Chinese's model" which is very strict and indiscriminately social distancing people, I favor more on Taiwan's model which focus more on early prevention combine with focusing on distancing only those coming from contagion area/countries for a period of time to make sure they are not sick.
There's little to no doubt that Taiwan's (or South Korea's, for that matter) method is the way to go... but the moment that ship sails (which happened quickly in most countries) then it's down to damage control as well as possible.

And for "as well as possible" to be firmly planted in "well" territory, effective leadership is paramount... a challenge in many places. It's easy to govern a country when the wind's on your sails, and not everyone is ready to helm a ship in the middle of a storm.
04-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #2755
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

advice to follow:

QuoteQuote:
. . . U.S. Surgeon General Jerome M. Adams cautioned against prescribing one’s own treatments, urging Americans in a tweet to “PLEASE always talk to your health provider first before administering any treatment/medication to yourself or a loved one.” . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/coronavirus-deaths-50000/2020/04/24/...bdb_story.html

good advice that should not limited to Americans only
04-25-2020, 06:36 AM   #2756
Pentaxian

Looks like the U.S. is on track for 1 million cases and 60,000 deaths by Tuesday.

Again, comment is un-necessary.
04-25-2020, 06:42 AM - 6 Likes   #2757
Pentaxian

There’s a very funny video doing the rounds about recent events, based on “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”,I don’t think it would be acceptable to post a link here but encourage everyone to seek it out!!
04-25-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2758
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in case anyone has an interest

follow the link

QuoteQuote:
After weeks of shutdown, the nation began to slowly, cautiously re-emerge this week.
See Which States Are Reopening and Which Are Still Shut Down - The New York Times
04-25-2020, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #2759
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
There’s a very funny video doing the rounds about recent events, based on “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”,I don’t think it would be acceptable to post a link here but encourage everyone to seek it out!!
I'll second that.
Funny is funny, no matter what (or who) the subject is!

Last edited by Parallax; 04-25-2020 at 07:05 AM.
04-25-2020, 07:00 AM - 3 Likes   #2760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Code:
:s/on/ar
:s/sleep/tweet
Closed Thread