Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2020, 03:40 AM   #3661
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
. . . Even the ladies?
at my visit to my barber yesterday, she explained that she could not trim my beard [ no problem, I trim my beard myself when I am waiting for my next hair cut ], she stated that none of her male clients complained but complaints had come from some of her female clients

I'm lucky

none of my relatives or close friends has to work in certain industries that put them or their loved ones at risk simply by going to work

[ decided it was better not to cite to a newspaper article, if interested please send me an email ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-20-2020 at 04:24 AM.
05-20-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #3662
Pentaxian

Coverups and manipulations were bound to continue:

Florida scientist refused to manipulate COVID-19 data and was fired

States accused of manipulating COVID-19 statistics to make situation look better | KUTV
05-20-2020, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #3663
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

been reading some interesting articles on what faces the world in the future

now I have only lived in communities ranging from less than 2,500 to less than 150,000 so I am no expert in living in metropolises

the articles discussed changes from working at home instead of skyscrapers ( and the domino effect on rents and " supporting " businesses ), to decreasing services due to lack of tax revenues, to changes in mass transit, changes in what people do because of " social distances ", the effect on air travel and vacation

any one want to discuss any of this ?

[ personal note, my wife married me Sept 7, 1991 so I am trying to figure out what the world's situation will be next year and how we might celebrate, right now I feel nervous about planning a trip ]

QuoteQuote:
By Carl Zimmer
May 20, 2020 Updated 10:38 a.m. ET

A prototype vaccine has protected monkeys from the coronavirus, researchers reported on Wednesday, a finding that offers new hope for effective human vaccines.

Scientists are already testing coronavirus vaccines in people, but the initial trials are designed to determine safety, not how well a vaccine works. The research published Wednesday offers insight into what a vaccine must do to be effective and how to measure that.

“To me, this is convincing that a vaccine is possible,” said Dr. Nelson Michael, the director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/health/coronavirus-vaccine-harvard.html?a...gtype=Homepage

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-20-2020 at 08:27 AM.
05-20-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #3664
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Hospitals are so generous with their infections. 2011 after surgery for a burst appendix, I was given the gift of MERSA in hospital. After installing a picc line in my armpit, I was sent home with Vancomycin and some other expensive antibiotics. I survived that, but a few weeks later had the dreaded C-diif . Luckily my primary GP recognized the symptoms and I got the right treatment. I never cared much for Yoghurt, but now I'm a big fan.
That sort of thing points to a deficiency regarding how hospitals are run. When the profit motive is a deciding factor, there are going to be shortcuts taken to save money. Unfortunately, cleanliness is one of those shortcuts.

05-20-2020, 09:54 AM - 3 Likes   #3665
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
been reading some interesting articles on what faces the world in the future . . . any one want to discuss any of this ?
I've been thinking about it a bit, though I've worked at home for years and not much changed for me on that front other than setting up my wife to work from home. To my mind pandemics are not the most serious threat, but rather what climate change is going to do to infrastructure and therefore to our ability to respond, work and stay supplied. Already flooding on top of the pandemic is adding to the misery, hurricane season is around the corner, and here where last year we had to flee our homes because of wildfires, and after this year's meager rainy season, again has us looking forward to the threat of being burned out of existence. So one of the biggest external shifts I can see is an increased dependence on mail order and shipping companies, and products that help people survive off the grid like generators, foods that are easy to produce and that keep, internet speed and reliability . . .

But the change I hope to see most is internal—that of understanding the power of unity between all human beings no matter what our beliefs, orientation, race, gender, etc. It's not like we haven't witnessed the benefit of this, such as when after Pearl Harbor people were more willing to forget their prejudices and chauvinism in order to pull together. Now many of the big companies are touting "we are all in this together," and of course if things get better they'll slide back "to every person for him/herself" in practice, but perhaps the relentless wave of destruction on the horizon will at last teach the survival-power-of-unity lesson once and for all.

Last edited by les3547; 05-20-2020 at 10:31 AM.
05-20-2020, 11:47 AM - 3 Likes   #3666
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
But the change I hope to see most is internal—that of understanding the power of unity between all human beings no matter what our beliefs, orientation, race, gender, etc. It's not like we haven't witnessed the benefit of this, such as when after Pearl Harbor people were more willing to forget their prejudices and chauvinism in order to pull together. Now many of the big companies are touting "we are all in this together," and of course if things get better they'll slide back "to every person for him/herself" in practice, but perhaps the relentless wave of destruction on the horizon will at last teach the survival-power-of-unity lesson once and for all.
Watch it, if talk like that gets out, there will be a serious tweeting in store for you. It could get ugly.
05-20-2020, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #3667
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw a headline about scientists proposing a 30 days shut 50 days open economy. Sounds like floodgates let the curve rise then close the gates until it flattens again.

Opening back up with cautions and hoping enough people are responsible seems to have 2 possibilities. It will be some kind of parachute for the economy or a taller building to jump from. It will soften the impact or delay a much worse one.

Anyway the 30 day, 50 day is interesting. The other part is because I like my metaphor.

05-20-2020, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Even the ladies?

In a previous job my supervisor's wife worked for awhile as an employment "headhunter".
She felt awkward advising some of the female job hunters to remove their excess facial hair prior to an interview.

Chris
05-21-2020, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #3669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really feels as though people gravitate between fear (only go out with a full hazmat suit on) and recklessness (I'm planning to hand out on the beach this weekend with my friends completely naked). At the same time, polls still say that most Americans support restrictions and slow opening of the economy: Poll: 83% of Americans fearful of new infections with relaxed restrictions It seems as though the loudest ones are those who are angry at the shut down and so they get a lot of press.
05-21-2020, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #3670
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . planning to hand [ sic ] out on the beach this weekend with my friends completely naked . . .
not a pretty picture for some

oh you are speaking rhetorically

QuoteQuote:
At the same time, polls still say that most Americans support restrictions and slow opening of the economy: Poll: 83% of Americans fearful of new infections with relaxed restrictions It seems as though the loudest ones are those who are angry at the shut down and so they get a lot of press.
no doubt remember the " silent majority "

yet for some, remaining isolated is not an option as some states will not continue to pay unemployment to those who are called back to work and refuse to go

states may reimplement the common requirement that in order to qualify for unemployment a person must make minimum attempts to obtain employment

Hawaii takes it seriously

QuoteQuote:
Monday’s “wanted” post on the Maui Police Department Facebook page included all the information one would expect: a photo, physical description, phone number to call with information. And a description of the Colorado woman’s alleged offense: “violating the Rules and Orders for failure to quarantine." . . .

The visitor dragnet is the latest example of how seriously Hawaii — a destination that attracted more than 10 million tourists last year — is treating the coronavirus threat posed by outsiders . , .

the two-week quarantine rule for all travelers who arrive in Hawaii through June 30. For visitors, the rule means no leaving their hotel room for any reason but medical care. No pool, spa or restaurant. No beach or shopping. Just room service and the same view for two weeks.
. . .

Arriving passengers have to sign an order to confirm they know about the quarantine and understand violating it is a criminal offense that could land them a $5,000 fine and a year in prison. They must also undergo a health screening and submit a form listing the place they’re staying — authorities will check to confirm reservations — and contact information.

More than 90 percent of hotels that are open are issuing room keys that can be used only once, according to the Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association. . . ..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/05/20/hawaii-isnt-messing-around-...t-quarantines/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/21/coronavirus-update-us/

over the weekend I read about tourists being jailed because of failure to obey

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-21-2020 at 05:43 AM.
05-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #3671
Pentaxian

not a pretty picture for some

oh you are speaking rhetorically

no doubt remember the " silent majority "

yet for some, remaining isolated is not an option as some states will not continue to pay unemployment to those who are called back to work and refuse to go

states may reimplement the common requirement that in order to qualify for unemployment a person must make minimum attempts to obtain employment

Hawaii takes it seriously

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/21/coronavirus-update-us/

over the weekend I read about tourists being jailed because of failure to obey
You have to wonder why anyone would go to Hawaii if they are required to quarantine for two weeks.

05-21-2020, 05:33 AM   #3672
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
You have to wonder why anyone would go to Hawaii if they are required to quarantine for two weeks.
If you’ve the time and money there are worse places to be quarantined!!(I would imagine,anyway,never having visited Hawaii).
05-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #3673
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
If you’ve the time and money there are worse places to be quarantined!!(I would imagine,anyway,never having visited Hawaii).
hope you like room service and have a view of the beach as opposed to the parking lot

according to the story you are restricted to your room

your room, not the hotel

QuoteQuote:
. . . For visitors, the rule means no leaving their hotel room for any reason but medical care. No pool, spa or restaurant. No beach or shopping. Just room service and the same view for two weeks. . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/05/20/hawaii-isnt-messing-around-...t-quarantines/
05-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #3674
Pentaxian

hope you like room service and have a view of the beach as opposed to the parking lot

according to the story you are restricted to your room

your room, not the hotel

I’m sure for the super rich there are different “rules”
05-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #3675
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I’m sure for the super rich there are different “rules”
I guess if you are rich enough you could rent your own Hawaiian island

QuoteQuote:
The Hawaiian Islands (Hawaiian: Mokupuni o Hawai‘i) are an archipelago of eight major islands, several atolls, numerous smaller islets, and seamounts in the North Pacific Ocean, extending some 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometers) from the island of Hawaiʻi in the south to northernmost Kure Atoll. Formerly the group was known to Europeans and Americans as the Sandwich Islands, a name that James Cook chose in honor of the then First Lord of the Admiralty John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. The contemporary name is derived from the name of the largest island, Hawaii Island.

Although Hawaii is a U.S. state, it is only part of the U.S. politically and not geographically connected to North America. . . .

The state of Hawaii occupies the archipelago almost in its entirety (including the mostly uninhabited Northwestern Hawaiian Islands), with the sole exception of Midway Island, which instead separately belongs to the United States as one of its unincorporated territories within the United States Minor Outlying Islands. The state of Hawaii counts 137 "islands" in the Hawaiian chain.[17] This number includes all minor islands and islets (very small islands) offshore of the main islands (listed above) and individual islets in each atoll. . . .
Hawaiian Islands - Wikipedia
Closed Thread