Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #3991
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I do pay $135 a month for medicare plus more money for a supplemental plan. I see a doctor, on average, less than once a year, and I am not on any prescription drugs. They actually make money on me!
I pay ~160 €/month specifically for "normal" healthcare (there's also the tax for long-term care, which is about ~50), and in the last year and a half I used it in total for one dermatologist check-up (which would have been 35€) and shaving off ~300€ out of the 350€ I paid for the bundle of vaccines I was stabbed with before flying to India .

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 06:40 AM ----------

Sorry, senior moment there for me. I was astounded to read somewhere once how much water is lost to evaporation along the way. Where I live a dry day has an RH of about 30 - 40% in the summer. People from the southwest that visit here complain about the humidity at that level. The first time I went to Las Vegas to visit my son and his family it was amazing to see how fast water evaporates out there and how much water I needed to drink to stay hydrated. I was pretty much thirsty the whole time.
I got out the car in Phoenix two years ago at ~40ºC (I think the car said 104ºF, not sure exactly how much but it was certainly over 100) and I swear I could feel my skin shriveling into a raisin . It was like stepping into an oven, I chugged two or three liters of water in the three hours I was there.

06-23-2020, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #3992
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I got out the car in Phoenix two years ago at ~40ºC (I think the car said 104ºF,
When it drops below 100F in Phoenix, they break out the winter jackets.

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 02:18 PM ----------

Sorry, senior moment there for me. I was astounded to read somewhere once how much water is lost to evaporation along the way. Where I live a dry day has an RH of about 30 - 40% in the summer. People from the southwest that visit here complain about the humidity at that level. The first time I went to Las Vegas to visit my son and his family it was amazing to see how fast water evaporates out there and how much water I needed to drink to stay hydrated. I was pretty much thirsty the whole time.
No problem. You are right about the RH though. It's 101F here right now and 6% humidity. Things dry pretty quick here.
06-23-2020, 04:13 PM - 5 Likes   #3993
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
In the UK the headline government advice is “Stay Alert” (whatever that means!).
Be alert.

We need more lerts.
06-23-2020, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #3994
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
When it drops below 100F in Phoenix, they break out the winter jackets.
I've been in Southern Florida and seen people wearing parkas in 75 degree heat.

06-23-2020, 04:18 PM - 5 Likes   #3995
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
In the UK the headline government advice is “Stay Alert” (whatever that means!).
That's bureaucrat speak for "We have no idea what to say but feel compelled to say something.
06-23-2020, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #3996
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

06-24-2020, 02:01 AM - 4 Likes   #3997
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's bureaucrat speak for "We have no idea what to say but feel compelled to say something.
Which bears out the famous quote

“ Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

06-24-2020, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #3998
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard recently the solution to bring down cases is to do less testing. It does seem like a novel option...

(Not intended to be political, just found the statement amusing).
06-24-2020, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #3999
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have heard recently the solution to bring down cases is to do less testing. It does seem like a novel option....
Excellent idea.

Stop giving attention to the virus, it will get bored, and leave town. Just like that shirttail relative that shows up on your doorstep, and overstays his welcome.
06-24-2020, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #4000
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Excellent idea.

Stop giving attention to the virus, it will get bored, and leave town. Just like that shirttail relative that shows up on your doorstep, and overstays his welcome.
Unfortunately the virus is very young and escalates the tantrum until you do pay attention

On unrelated news, my mother got some fever and headache so she's self-isolating in the room and waiting for the test results. Probably nothing but let's see...
06-24-2020, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #4001
Pentaxian

We are entering "phase 4" next week in northern NY which just became totally meaningless as all the things that were supposed to reopen will not be allowed to. Still no malls, gyms, or movie theaters and absolutely no timetable on when they will be allowed to reopen. Maybe this is good, maybe not. One of the things that health workers think made the outbreak in the NYC area is all the high rise buildings, apartments, and offices, all with lots of people and elevators and most transmission took place indoors. While the spikes in Texas, California, and South Carolina are being blamed on large gatherings outdoors, isn't it more likely that as the summer heat takes hold, people are heading indoors and spending more time in air conditioning where the virus is able to linger longer? Being indoors is known to lower your immune system because your body absorbs vitamin D from sunlight. Just some logical thoughts.
06-24-2020, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #4002
Pentaxian

Be alert.

We need more lerts.
Quite true!

We also need more round tuits.

Lerts can spot problems quickly but they won't fix them until they get a round tuit!
06-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #4003
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have heard recently the solution to bring down cases is to do less testing. It does seem like a novel option...

(Not intended to be political, just found the statement amusing).
About as "amusing" as a kick up the ar** with a pickaxe
06-24-2020, 07:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4004
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been in Southern Florida and seen people wearing parkas in 75 degree heat.
I might have been one of them...

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 06-24-2020 at 07:38 PM.
06-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #4005
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Friend on FB had a serious bout of difficulty breathing and high fever last November, lasted almost a month, doctors had no idea what was causing it.
All the symptoms match...
Closed Thread