Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #4006
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Friend on FB had a serious bout of difficulty breathing and high fever last November, lasted almost a month, doctors had no idea what was causing it.
All the symptoms match...
I read more and more evidence that Covid may have been around longer than first thought.

06-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #4007
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I read more and more evidence that Covid may have been around longer than first thought.
Yes sir.
06-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #4008
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Friend on FB had a serious bout of difficulty breathing and high fever last November, lasted almost a month, doctors had no idea what was causing it.
My wife & I both did, just before Christmas. Not like any cold/flu we ever had before. Did not last long, but the cough stuck around for weeks.
06-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #4009
Pentaxian

CDC data (always lagging 4 days) shows that even the first wave is spiraling out of control. Might turn into a Brazil copy.

Attached Images

06-25-2020, 12:20 AM   #4010
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
CDC data (always lagging 4 days) shows that even the first wave is spiraling out of control. Might turn into a Brazil copy.
This doesn't look good either

06-25-2020, 12:23 AM - 4 Likes   #4011
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
No, no no, you have it all wrong! Have you not heard it's because they're testing too much?
Don't mind me, I'll shut up and exit stage left.
06-25-2020, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #4012
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He probably was really sick but didn't have COVID. It seems as though COVID was present in China at that point, but hadn't really spread. The US has been back tracking and testing flu samples for COVID and also people with the sort of symptoms you describe for antibodies and they haven't turned up any cases before January. It isn't to say it couldn't have happened, but if he hadn't traveled to Wuhan, it probably wasn't that. CDC: First COVID-19 Cases In the U.S. Throughout January | Time

There do seem to be a lot of people who had illnesses that resembled COVID and now think they had it -- just earlier than others said it was present. The thing to do for those folks is to go ahead and get antibody tested. There are lots of places doing that and most doctors can order them now, as well.

06-25-2020, 03:21 AM   #4013
Pentaxian

Well it was already present in Italy in December!

Coronavirus was already in Italy by December, waste water study finds - BBC News
06-25-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #4014
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First identified case identified 17 November 2019. That, of course, assuming there were not already cases that had not been identified as Covid.

From here: Coronavirus: China?s first confirmed Covid-19 case traced back to November 17 | South China Morning Post

"They found that following the Nov. 17 case, about one to five new cases were reported every day and by Dec. 15, the total infections reached 27. Daily cases seem to have increased after that, with the case count reaching 60 by Dec. 20, the SCMP reported.

On Dec. 27, Dr. Zhang Jixian, head of the respiratory department at Hubei Provincial Hospital, reported to health officials in China that a novel coronavirus was causing the disease; by that day, it had infected more than 180 individuals. (Doctors may not have been aware of all of those cases at the time, but only identified those cases after going back over the records, the Morning Post reported.)

Even with this Nov. 17 case identified, doctors can't be certain the individual is "patient zero," or the very first individual to have been infected with SARS-CoV-2, and there's a chance even earlier cases will be found, the SCMP reported."

It's thought that the first USA case was mid to late January.
06-25-2020, 03:34 AM   #4015
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But, what makes it more interesting is this: Covid 19 coronavirus: Satellite images may prove China was in grip of outbreak months before announced - NZ Herald
"Athletes keeling over in October

About 10,000 athletes from more than 100 countries descended on Wuhan for nine days last autumn to compete at the Military World Games, a sort of Olympics for serving soldiers.

After the pandemic struck, months later, many recalled how they had fallen ill during the event in October, suffering flu-like symptoms similar to those of the coronavirus.

The Spanish Ministry of Defence has revealed at least four of its delegation had become seriously ill in Wuhan. One of them told El Mundo newspaper: "The authorities just took it as a sore throat or flu infection and treated us as if we were already cured."

Some members of the French team then made similar reports.

Elodie Clouvel, a world champion modern pentathlete, said in a TV interview: "We were in Wuhan at the end of October and afterwards we all fell ill. Valentin [Belaud, her partner, also a pentathlete] missed three days of training. I was sick too ... I think we have already had the coronavirus."

German volleyball player Jacqueline Brock recalled: "Some athletes from my team fell ill. I got sick in the last two days. I have never felt so sick — either it was a very bad cold or Covid-19."

And an Italian fencer, Matteo Tagliariol, gave an interview in which he claimed all six occupants of his official apartment in the city fell ill with symptoms "that looked like those" of the virus.

Catching something that "looks like" Covid-19 isn't the same as actually contracting it, of course."

And:
"Dr Michel Schmitt, from Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Colmar, northeastern France, leads a team of researchers examining thousands of chest X-rays taken in late 2019. They have so far been able to identify two scans "consistent" with the symptoms of Covid-19 dating back to mid-November.

The images depict white shadows on the lungs of patients of a type 'typical of" coronavirus.

"The first case was noted in our centre on November 16," Schmitt said in a press release. The other was taken two days later."
06-25-2020, 03:58 AM   #4016
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But, what makes it more interesting is this: Covid 19 coronavirus: Satellite images may prove China was in grip of outbreak months before announced - NZ Herald

About 10,000 athletes from more than 100 countries descended on Wuhan for nine days last autumn to compete at the Military World Games, a sort of Olympics for serving soldiers.

After the pandemic struck, months later, many recalled how they had fallen ill during the event in October, suffering flu-like symptoms similar to those of the coronavirus.

The Spanish Ministry of Defence has revealed at least four of its delegation had become seriously ill in Wuhan. One of them told El Mundo newspaper: "The authorities just took it as a sore throat or flu infection and treated us as if we were already cured."

Elodie Clouvel, a world champion modern pentathlete, said in a TV interview: "We were in Wuhan at the end of October and afterwards we all fell ill. Valentin [Belaud, her partner, also a pentathlete] missed three days of training. I was sick too ... I think we have already had the coronavirus."

German volleyball player Jacqueline Brock recalled: "Some athletes from my team fell ill. I got sick in the last two days. I have never felt so sick — either it was a very bad cold or Covid-19."

And an Italian fencer, Matteo Tagliariol, gave an interview in which he claimed all six occupants of his official apartment in the city fell ill with symptoms "that looked like those" of the virus.

Catching something that "looks like" Covid-19 isn't the same as actually contracting it, of course."

And:
"Dr Michel Schmitt, from Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Colmar, northeastern France, leads a team of researchers examining thousands of chest X-rays taken in late 2019. They have so far been able to identify two scans "consistent" with the symptoms of Covid-19 dating back to mid-November.

The images depict white shadows on the lungs of patients of a type 'typical of" coronavirus.

"The first case was noted in our centre on November 16," Schmitt said in a press release. The other was taken two days later."
Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, but it makes sense that the dots took long to connect... the symptoms of the mild cases are quite nondescript and not *that* different from those of a regular old cold or flu, and it is quite common to get sick while traveling.
06-25-2020, 04:15 AM   #4017
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, but it makes sense that the dots took long to connect... the symptoms of the mild cases are quite nondescript and not *that* different from those of a regular old cold or flu, and it is quite common to get sick while traveling.
Yup.

Also found this online: Military World Games in Wuhan in focus: “We are all sick” | Web24 News
06-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #4018
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And:

Have these athletes been tested for Covid-19 antibodies? Easy enough way to determine if they were exposed.
06-25-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #4019
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Have these athletes been tested for Covid-19 antibodies? Easy enough way to determine if they were exposed.
Such a test would determine if but not when they were infected.Although as I understand it scientists can discover from the "fingerprint" of the antibodies where it originated.
06-25-2020, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #4020
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
That's 9 months after exposure, there's going to be a good chance that either the antibodies didn't last long enough or that they were exposed at a later date... hard to say at this point.

---------- Post added 06-25-20 at 04:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
It will determine if but not when.
Beat me to it and with less than half the words!
Closed Thread