Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High School sports will probably be canceled in Missouri tonight, which will likely put my son out of business.

03-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've had two work trips for conferences in Boston cancelled so far. There are others that are loosely scheduled for the fall that will presumably happen assuming the worst is over by then.
03-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have tickets to fly from Denver to Hartford CT next week. The plan was to clean up my father-in-law's house for sale; he died in November. The only purchase so far is the flights, which can be canceled at the last minute. So we can decide then, although it doesn't look like things will get a lot better next week. I was looking forward to making progress towards finalizing the estate. I might have to do our taxes instead.
03-14-2020, 02:48 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m changing no travel plans.

In the USA this will be at peak exponential growth in about three weeks, maybe four. Then 2 weeks of panic media while nothing changes.

Then it is essentially over before the end of April. There’s a reason most colleges have locked students out until the end of April.

H1N1 (Swine Flu, also from China) infected 16.5 million people and killed 500.000 globally in 2003-2004. We didn’t panic for that.
You are probably right. It's pretty bad though. I am particularly concerned that data from Iran shows only 514 deaths (unchanged over the last several days) while satelite photography shows them digging mass grave sites in places. If the death rate is 1 percent, that could mean 600,000 people dead in the US alone, mostly elderly.

The incubation period of 14-ish days means that the spike is probably going to be a little bit longer from now than two weeks. But certainly by May I would expect things to be getting back to normalcy in the US.

03-14-2020, 04:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You are probably right. It's pretty bad though. I am particularly concerned that data from Iran shows only 514 deaths (unchanged over the last several days) while satelite photography shows them digging mass grave sites in places. If the death rate is 1 percent, that could mean 600,000 people dead in the US alone, mostly elderly.

The incubation period of 14-ish days means that the spike is probably going to be a little bit longer from now than two weeks. But certainly by May I would expect things to be getting back to normalcy in the US.
1% of the US population would be 3.3 million?!

Edit Sorry you probably mean % of people who contract the virus,still very scary figures.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/
03-14-2020, 04:58 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I retired in early 2016 I have driven out to Yellowstone each May. No plans or reservations made yet. Just waiting for things to blow over.
03-14-2020, 05:12 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
1% of the US population would be 3.3 million?!

Edit Sorry you probably mean % of people who contract the virus,still very scary figures.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/
Right, if a quarter of the US population got it and 1 percent of them died, that's a lot of people. Better to be aggressive, in particular at preventing spread to the elderly folks.

03-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I was planing to go to Adelaide this week and have noodles at the central market. Not sure if that counts.... I only live a little life these days.

I'm still trying to work out if a insular person can isolate themself.... I feel like I should do something.

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-14-2020 at 05:27 AM.
03-14-2020, 05:25 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right, if a quarter of the US population got it and 1 percent of them died, that's a lot of people. Better to be aggressive, in particular at preventing spread to the elderly folks.
I think everything changed yesterday. Clearly the US government just went all-in (maybe late but a powerful plan) and our company just sent 15,000 of our employees home with laptops - Remote work for at least three weeks.
03-14-2020, 05:28 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think everything changed yesterday. Clearly the US government just went all-in (maybe late but a powerful plan) and our company just sent 15,000 of our employees home with laptops - Remote work for at least three weeks.
interesting thoughts about at home work for business

needs to be considered for many not only governments

Federal employees may soon be ordered to work from home because of the coronvirus outbreak. That could pose serious cybersecurity risks - The Washington Post

not only national security risks but think about personal information about others that might be at risk of being hacked
03-14-2020, 05:29 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know. I question how much good partial quarantines do (people not going to work or school, but continuing to frequent restaurants, movie theaters, church services, etc). My guess is that it slows spread somewhat, but that unlike China, it continues till it burns itself out.
03-14-2020, 05:33 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I know. I question how much good partial quarantines do (people not going to work or school, but continuing to frequent restaurants, movie theaters, church services, etc). My guess is that it slows spread somewhat, but that unlike China, it continues till it burns itself out.
if people are staying home

what businesses will remain open ?

no one going out may lead to restaurants, stores and others closing as an example
03-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if people are staying home

what businesses will remain open ?

no one going out may lead to restaurants, stores and others closing as an example
Sure, but what I've seen in the Lynchburg area is that tons of people are going out to stores, restaurants and other places -- more than usual actually since school has been dismissed. Asymptomatic people are still doing normal activities, at least to this point. We certainly aren't under military lock down or any real quarantine.
03-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, but what I've seen in the Lynchburg area is that tons of people are going out to stores, restaurants and other places -- more than usual actually since school has been dismissed. Asymptomatic people are still doing normal activities, at least to this point. We certainly aren't under military lock down or any real quarantine.
true enough

for what I am talking about

look at Italy

here

look at NYC

Broadway is closed

restaurants around the theaters ( reportedly closed or considering it )

businesses cannot afford to stay open

their employees don't want to be exposed.to possible infection
03-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
interesting thoughts about at home work for business
,snip.

not only national security risks but think about personal information about others that might be at risk of being hacked
Which is why we have corporate laptops rather than using a VPN portal with personally owned hardware.. Information security, such as it is, is built into the system.