Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which is why we have corporate laptops rather than using a VPN portal with personally owned hardware.. Information security, such as it is, is built into the system.
sounds good to me

but I am computer illiterate

stupid machines only do what I tell them to do, not what I want them to do

GIGO

03-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not, the danish borders closed at 12:00 PM today, all danes on vacation must return to Denmark ASAP.
Denmark has been put on standby/life support mode only. You can still get toilet paper and food though, even after the hordes raged the grocerystores Wednesday evening right after our prime minister (you know, the one who told Trump he could not buy Greenland) had finished her "speach to the nation" stating we are facing a health and not a food crisis.
03-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is going to roll around for a while due to reports of people who had covid-19, eventually recovered from it, and then tested positive again.

I don't think America is remotely close to responding as it should and I don't think we have the ability to at a federal level. I would agree that the presidential speech yesterday here in the USA was "powerful" but not in a good way.

Hopefully I can start working from home this week but not sure if my employer will allow it.
03-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
. . . our prime minister (you know, the one who told Trump he could not buy Greenland) . . . .

best wishes to all members and their loved ones

03-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Now is the best time to travel, cheap airfares, empty planes, no tourists.
03-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Now is the best time to travel, cheap airfares, empty planes, no tourists.
And the risk of being trapped in quarantine for up to 14 days!

I have friends who will shortly be visiting NZ to see family and their plans are in ruins.
03-14-2020, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think this is going to roll around for a while due to reports of people who had covid-19, eventually recovered from it, and then tested positive again.

I don't think America is remotely close to responding as it should and I don't think we have the ability to at a federal level. I would agree that the presidential speech yesterday here in the USA was "powerful" but not in a good way.

Hopefully I can start working from home this week but not sure if my employer will allow it.
Indeed! The country is infected with a much more serious illness known as rampant scientific illiteracy.

It's a text book case of how to ensure an infection spreads through out a population:
1) squander the warning time by assuming this was just a problem for China
2) lock the henhouse door after the foxes have entered
3) pretend that if we don't test people, then the number of infections can't go up
4) insist that confidence has anti-viral properties

Viruses are remarkably simple (but effective) replication machines. It doesn't take a lot of data to figure out how infectious (and fatal) a new one can be and forecast what it can do if it is allowed to spread. All it takes in some high school math to forecast how the numbers of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths with rise over time. And all it takes is a little data on size of the US healthcare system to see the potential for an extremely serious mismatch in the ratio of people needing a hospital bed or ICU versus the numbers of spare beds & ICUs.

From there, any scientifically-literate leader could have known what to do over two months ago to contain and delay the spread.

I'd post this old xkcd: Sickness but fear the final word is not safe for sensitive ears.

03-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Indeed! The country is infected with a much more serious illness known as rampant scientific illiteracy.

It's a text book case of how to ensure an infection spreads through out a population:
1) squander the warning time by assuming this was just a problem for China
2) lock the henhouse door after the foxes have entered
3) pretend that if we don't test people, then the number of infections can't go up
4) insist that confidence has anti-viral properties

Viruses are remarkably simple (but effective) replication machines. It doesn't take a lot of data to figure out how infectious (and fatal) a new one can be and forecast what it can do if it is allowed to spread. All it takes in some high school math to forecast how the numbers of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths with rise over time. And all it takes is a little data on size of the US healthcare system to see the potential for an extremely serious mismatch in the ratio of people needing a hospital bed or ICU versus the numbers of spare beds & ICUs.

From there, any scientifically-literate leader could have known what to do over two months ago to contain and delay the spread.

I'd post this old xkcd: Sickness but fear the final word is not safe for sensitive ears.
At a 3.6 day doubling rate the entire population of the US will be infected in 67 days. At a 1% mortality rate 3,570,000 Americans will be dead in 88 days. Will we have enough coffins?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2020 at 02:53 PM.
03-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just hear news 2 days ago from relative live in Bangkok that a person back from South Korea, no sign of symptom but as we know situation in South Korea is pretty bad and the Thai immigration asked everyone coming from China and S.Korea to self guarantee for 14 days at home. The person went out with friends to a restaurant, having fun post photo on fb, etc which result in the close down of the restaurant and everyone come into contact with the person will have to get coronavirus test! The person will be fined according to the law over there.
and
In Japan, the same thing happen, but I am not really sure how some people here handles this thing. An infected guy went out to a Karaoke bar intent to spread the virus. He even told people in the bar that he has tested positive for the virus, and they let him in!..What? And call the police at the same time. A basic common sense is in serious needed for whoever in front of the bar's door. You don't let him in and you call the cops.

Japan police to arrest infected man who visited karaoke bar, as country ramps up coronavirus fight
03-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #40
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Since all travel is pretty much banned I have nowhere to go But I didn't really have any plans anyway. My wife was supposed to attend a conference in Zambia this week, but that will of course not happen (neither her travelling nor the conference). Our son and daughter-in-law returned from Austria about two weeks ago, infected. She became seriously ill (but is ok now). Yes, it can be serious for young people, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I'm not, the danish borders closed at 12:00 PM today, all danes on vacation must return to Denmark ASAP.
Denmark has been put on standby/life support mode only. You can still get toilet paper and food though, even after the hordes raged the grocerystores Wednesday evening right after our prime minister (you know, the one who told Trump he could not buy Greenland) had finished her "speach to the nation" stating we are facing a health and not a food crisis.
Same thing here. Everybody who can work from home are required to do so. Schools, theatres, restaurants etc are all closed. Ports and airports closed. Foreign citizens are turned away at the border. All returning citizens are put into quarantine.

And we had the same on Wednesday and Thursday with all the idiots emptying the shops of canned goods and tp - and then everything else when there was no more canned goods. And two days later the shops are all fully stocked again while all the hoarders can look forward to weeks of rice and canned meatballs
03-15-2020, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Great news about your family

may all of us and our loved ones be as safe as possible and if sick recover with time.

although dangerous it does not appear to be fatal for most infected
03-15-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At a 3.6 day doubling rate the entire population of the US will be infected in 67 days. At a 1% mortality rate 3,570,000 Americans will be dead in 88 days. Will we have enough coffins?
We are unlikely to see 100 percent infection rate. That never happens, not with influenza or any other virus. Beyond which, with enough deaths and people will start to take quarantining seriously and the spread will slow. My guess would be a max of 20 percent of the population getting it, probably significantly less. If the folks infected skew younger that will help with the mortality rates.

20 percent of the population with a death rate of 1 percent is 700,000 deaths, but that to me is a worst case scenario.
03-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

we know, or think we know, the bad news

and if the virus does affect you or yours we all hope for the best

we need to concentrate on the positive

it ain't Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease)