Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2020, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Who is scheduled to travel during the pandemic? (just another COCID-19 talk)

Since WHO declares the coronavirus outbreak a global pandemic. I wonder how many people here are scheduled to travel somewhere for whatever reason during this year?
Share your story if you have one.

Just to share some part of the article:

"If you're scheduled to travel to a country with a confirmed outbreak, you may be able to cancel your trip and get a full refund."

"The only travel insurance that would be helpful in that scenario is when you pay extra for a 'cancel for any reason' plan," Ted Rossman, an industry analyst at CreditCards.com, told Business Insider. "If you're just canceling out of fear of traveling and getting sick, that's not a good enough reason."

"If you're absolutely set against traveling during the coronavirus spread — even if you're going somewhere without the virus — Rossman suggested that instead of walking away and losing the whole value of your trip, paying a change fee to reschedule it for the summer, or to another destination."

---------- Post added 03-12-20 at 05:47 PM ----------

As for me:
I bought tickets to Bangkok since mid-December last year.
I knew it was some kind of local outbreak going on somewhere in China when I research for the ticket, but the authority was still denying it, even arrested people associate to the spread of the rumor, and WHO didn't have much to say either. So I thought ¯\_(ツ) _/¯ relax, it shouldn't be a problem, even if the rumor is true, China is far away... and I went ahead with my plan.
Now I wish I was not such an ignorance. Apparently I forgot about SARS, isn't it?
Things like this always start with deny, deny and deny until it hit the fan and it already too late. I definitely learned my lesson now but will I remember it in the next 10 years? ...¯\_(ツ) _/¯

I don't think I have many options from what I read in the airline and travel agency websites. What the travel agency is offering is like waiting for the airline to cancel flights to-from Tokyo then I can claim for the refund. The airline has already canceled its flights to Tokyo until a month before my trip. So I will have to keep checking if it will be extended, and I will see over the weekend if I have an option to postpone my trip to next summer with some additional fees. I don't really feel like being in a tube full of unknown people from a variety of places for 6-7 hours right now either.

03-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am scheduled for the Texas Coast between Galveston and Houston bird watching in Mid April carpooling

we are scheduled for Yellowstone/Grand Tetons NP in early June flying

and San Francisco in late July flying

hoping things calm down by then

no trip insurance
03-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A college buddy of mine has been promoted from sales manager of a global brand IT product here in Australia to the whole Asia-Pacific region. It's expected that he relocate to Singapore to do this job. But he's been told, not until this has all quietened down, and videoconferencing is to replace many of their normal meetings.
03-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Returning to Australia from NZ in April... both countries have cases but not many- will be okay won't it?

03-12-2020, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a few international gigs on the calendar as well as stuff in the USA.
All. wiped. clean.
Not a single trip planned, the first time in like...7 years.
Dunno what I am going to do.
Stay safe!

L.
03-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have 2, one an Alaskan cruise trip in september from Vancouver, BC and one in Martinique in November. I was suppose to make one in may with my RV on east coast , but will stay here.
Will see for the first 2!!
03-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Returning to Australia from NZ in April... both countries have cases but not many- will be okay won't it?
I don't think there'll be a travel ban on entry from NZ. But the epidemic will probably hit maximum in April/May, FWIW.

03-12-2020, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Meanwhile in Fayette County Texas, La Grange, the city is NOT cancelling a huge huge huge Antiques fair, Round Top antiques fair. It has world wide participation both sellers and buyers. Their reasoning is since there are no known cases of the virus and we are appearing for now to be healthy that it’s safe for 1000’s of people from out of state to international to convene in a small little town. The hospital here has been in the paper all last year and now for continued mismanagement and the ability to misplace hospital equipment. �� If anyone ends up sick it’s going to be a nightmare. The backroad to the hospital is a dirt road, so small town. The toilet paper is non existent in the stores now. Lol, hope those attending the festival have BYOTP.
Edit: The judge just declared Local Disaster and cancelled the huge Antiques event. This is a relief as I live directly between the Event and the hospital. Having compromised health is no fun. It’s would be a doubleheader for me As I have Olfactory Lobe Abnormality and Chemical Sensitivities. The disinfectants and the perfume and EO and air fresheners would make me die faster than the virus.

Last edited by sherrvonne; 03-14-2020 at 07:40 AM. Reason: New info
03-13-2020, 02:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm supposed to travel to Florida in April to see my 101 year old grandmother -- and a couple of other family members. We are driving, but the big question is if my work is going to enforce some kind of forced furlough on employees that travel outside of the state. If they make me take two weeks off from work, I'm certainly not going to go. I do have a trip scheduled for this summer as well, beginning of July to South Carolina, but I expect the situation to be better by then.
03-13-2020, 04:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had planned to fly from Australia to stay with a friend in NZ for a week, believing that there would be small risk. Got a rude reminder of our age when the retirement village where she lives now asks people who have travelled from elsewhere to not visit the village. So no trip.

Now I'm waiting to see whether Qantas will follow Qatar in allowing for flexible flights. If not, well it's only frequent flyer points plus small tax and one non-refundable hotel night. And if toilet paper ever reappears on the market, I can start rebuilding frequent flyer points

Last edited by vrphoto; 03-13-2020 at 04:08 AM. Reason: another thought
03-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

We have tickets for the south of France in May. A week ago we thought "maybe no problem?" but now it looks very unlikely that we will travel, even though at the incredibly fast rate things are going (not a good thing at all, BTW) things might already be abating in France by then... Our airline has announced that it's loosening its rules/penalties for cancellations and date changes for trips up to April 30th. We're scheduled to leave May 2nd. Our cancellation insurance can cover us if the Canadian government puts France in the "avoid all non-essential travel" or "avoid all travel" categories, which hasn't happened yet. A friend who just left for France will, if they don't get sick over there, need to self-isolate for 14 days upon return, and that makes sense. Another friend is due to leave tomorrow, also for France, and is really sweating the decision on whether to go or not...
03-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have bus tickets to take me from Baltimore to NYC and then regional train to Connecticut a week from today. Was really hoping to hit B&H on the way back on Sunday and shop for a good backpack and grab some film chemicals. I haven't fully cancelled on this plan yet but it seems less and less smart each day. Only other trip planned was a motorcycle ride from MD to Kansas in June. That might still happen; I wouldn't want to fly there but riding alone seems relatively safe, or as safe as that sort of thing can be.

If I already had the virus, it wouldn't shock me, as I take public transit to and from work every day as well as sitting around coworkers with children at my job. Time to hit the store for more soup and rice this weekend.
03-13-2020, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Off on a trip to Scotland in our motorhome for three weeks in May.Spending time in the remote Western Isles might just be the safest place! Already bought the Island Hopping ferry ticket and booked a few of the campsites.

Have plans for a trip to Thailand in October,by which time it will hopefully have blown over. With the deals available on flight tickets it’s very tempting to buy those now.
03-13-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m changing no travel plans.

In the USA this will be at peak exponential growth in about three weeks, maybe four. Then 2 weeks of panic media while nothing changes.

Then it is essentially over before the end of April. There’s a reason most colleges have locked students out until the end of April.

H1N1 (Swine Flu, also from China) infected 16.5 million people and killed 500.000 globally in 2003-2004. We didn’t panic for that.
03-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

We had no vacation travel plans this year other than some weekend getaways. My wife was caring for her mother who was old and in poor health for much of the past year. She passed away a month ago so we are now free to go on vacations again but we have made no plans.

Right now we are in "wait and see" mode. Events are being cancelled everywhere. Any travel will be driving because I don't want to be stranded anywhere. We have talked about going to the Outer Banks, NC this summer. It's been a while and I could use some ocean time. I can't complain much as we live in the Adirondacks and thousands come here to vacation. The mountains, rivers, and lakes are my back yard.