Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the Postal Service, UPS, Fed Ex stop delivering?

As the virus continues to worsen, I would not be surprised to see the Postal Service, UPS, and Fed Ex modify how they deliver (or possibly even stop delivering all together).

What do you think will be the likely changes in our delivery systems? How will it affect you as a photographer?

I'm glad that I'm pretty set right now with my current photo gear. If anything, I have a glut of excess gear that I'm concerned I might not be able to sell because of unavailability of shipping. And please don't suggest Craig's List, because that involves face-to-face interactions with sometimes "nasty hombres".

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-15-2020 at 04:40 PM.
03-15-2020, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
As the virus continues to worsen, I would not be surprised to see the Postal Service, UPS, and Fed Ex modify how they deliver (or possibly even stop delivering all together).

What do you think will be the likely changes in our delivery systems? How will it affect you as a photographer?

I'm glad that I'm pretty set right now with my current photo gear. If anything, I have a glut of excess gear that I'm concerned I might not be able to sell because of lack of shipping ability.
Postal / courier delivery will probably be the last thing to stop as most medicines are delivered via postal / courier delivery.
03-15-2020, 04:49 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deliveries better not stop until my order of a gross of toilet paper rolls gets here...
03-16-2020, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I doubt it.

If things get bad enough they might space out deliveries to say, three days a week, but I can't imagine them ceasing operations.

03-16-2020, 06:23 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

USPS currently does not plan for any system wide shutdown.

If any facilities in our distribution network must be closed
mail and parcels will be rerouted which might entail delays.

Chris,
USPS employee
03-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
USPS currently does not plan for any system wide shutdown.

If any facilities in our distribution network must be closed
mail and parcels will be rerouted which might entail delays.

Chris,
USPS employee
Thanks Chris, that's reassuring!
03-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The places that have shut down are usually ones that have groups of people interacting, like movie theatres, open-office workplaces, schools, and universities.

03-16-2020, 12:20 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was emailed this:

US Postal Service

The US Postal Service (USPS) is not currently "experiencing operational impacts" because of the coronavirus pandemic.
However, the USPS enforced a temporary suspension of the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International destined for China and Hong Kong "due to widespread airline cancellations and restrictions into this area."
Residential customers and small businesses can find out if their mail is being delivered of if their local Post Offices are open here.

FedEx

FedEx is continuing to deliver packages. The company is also sanitizing delivery equipment regularly.
Customers living in regions severely impacted by the coronavirus may experience delays.
"We are operating to and within impacted areas as local conditions and restrictions allow. We are adhering to all regulations and guidelines from government authorities related to containment of the virus," FedEx said.
"These work and travel restrictions may affect shipments to and from impacted areas, as well as shipments moving within those areas. We have adjusted delivery commitments for certain impacted areas."
Customers can visit fedex.com or tnt.com to check the status of their shipments.
Since January 10, FedEx also sent 10 humanitarian aid shipments of medical supplies, including surgical caps, medical gowns, masks, gloves and coveralls to China.

Amazon

Amazon is continuing to deliver packages. As the spread of coronavirus increases worldwide, the company leaders say they've seen "an increase in people shopping online" which has resulted in "longer than usual" delivery promises.
"In particular, you will notice that we are currently out of stock on some popular brands and items, especially in household staples categories," Amazon said.
"We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability on all of our products, and bring on additional capacity to deliver all of your orders."
Amazon has also removed more than 530,000 listings from its marketplace and suspended 2,500 US sellers for coronavirus-related price gouging, the company told a US senator.

UPS

UPS is continuing to deliver packages. Countries which have declared a state of public health emergency may see potential delays in services.
UPS has also resumed services for the majority of China Mainland except Wuhan City.

Can coronavirus spread through mail?

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, spoke about the likelihood of the coronavirus being transmitted through things like mail or money during CNN's coronavirus town hall.
Fauci said if the disease were to transfer onto something like mail, it would likely be a low concentration.
"Even if it is on there, would it be high enough of a concentration to actually be transmitted? Although it is important, I don't want to downplay the recommendations of wiping down the kinds of things you can easily wipe down," Fauci said.
"Doorknobs, screens, things like that. I think if you start thinking about money and mail and things like that, you can almost sort of immobilize yourself, which I don't think is a good idea."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also said there is very low risk of coronavirus spreading from products and packages, even if they were shipped from China, because of the "poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces."
As packages go through multiple days -- or weeks -- of delivery, they face various temperatures that coronaviruses aren't likely to survive.
03-16-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
I don't think they would stop delivering altogether as they could certainly be deemed 'essential services' (especially the Postal Service) as people rely on them for delivery of medications, food, goods related to continuation of domestic services (think auto parts, household items, etc.), and of course the fact that businesses rely on them for their business (perhaps now more than ever that people are physically going out less). There may be alterations to their schedules if they need to adopt some sort of sanitation processes for packages and mail, so perhaps things may get delayed, but likely not suspended outright.

I think we should be pretty safe!
03-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Amazon is seeking to hire Possibly 10,000 new folks to meet the increase in demand, here in Seattle area. Many will likely be temporary, but I don’t see them ceasing delivery...
03-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't think there will be problems with delivery unless there is so much sickness that there aren't enough drivers to work and selectors to pick orders. The point of all the closures is to prevent that. Lets pray that doesn't happen. Amazon is hiring and as busy as the Christmas season but I just read they had to shut down a warehouse due to workers testing positive and getting sick. I have a friend who works at the Postal Service and there are no plans to cut back at this time.
03-19-2020, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Postal / courier delivery will probably be the last thing to stop as most medicines are delivered via postal / courier delivery.
Oh so true. If you don’t receive medication via the big three delivery services here in Pennsylvania, you are the exception rather than the rule. Even if you don’t, your pharmacy does. Not to mention all the other really necessary items delivered to the home. Not likely these services will stop.
03-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Assuming we actually do manage to get our act together and flatten the curve I would be surprised if any of the major postal providers shut down. I'd go as far to say it'd be almost impossible to shut down the USPS.

Delays? Sure. But I think your package will still get there.
03-23-2020, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only package delivery I’m concerned about is package store delivery.
03-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

I'm glad that I'm pretty set right now with my current photo gear. If anything, I have a glut of excess gear that I'm concerned I might not be able to sell because of unavailability of shipping. And please don't suggest Craig's List, because that involves face-to-face interactions with sometimes "nasty hombres".
This will be entirely dependant on how many people get sick. It's all well and good for a business to intend to stay in operation, and it is all fine and dandy to say that the mail must get through because it is an essential service, but let's face it, if enough people doing the work are quarantined, the business will shut down.
I also have quite a few items to sell as well, but I am not even going to bother trying until this blows over.
Too many people are affected, too many people are afraid of losing their incomes temporarily to do anything other than take a bunker mentality with their bank balances.
To me, not being able to sell some luxury items for a while seems very much a First World problem.
Do what you need to do to not catch this thing, and worry about selling your camera gear when the world returns to normal. If it doesn't return to normal, you aren't going to need the money you would have made from used equipment sales anyway.

For myself, I'm stocking up on good Scotch, French and Spanish red wines and some of the seriously good cannabis that our government is now letting us grow.

Stay healthy my friends.