Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2020, 06:42 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

The Distant Drummer

The Distant Drummer

The beat of the distant drummer had always been my calling. It set me apart from the multitude that tended to keep time to the raucous din of the hackneyed rhythm in vogue at the moment. It had been and always would be the divergent aspects of life that cast its charm upon me; the idiosyncratic, the unconventional nuances of the vital flame of life that had held it’s spell over me from my earliest recollection.

It did not go unnoticed among my peers who often made sport of my eccentricities. Few took the time to dare venture into my world, thinking it not the better part of refinement, but I never bothered to notice their absence. I was too busy entertaining the steady beat of that faraway cadence – too engrossed in the intoxicating non-conformity that constantly captivated my curiosity. It was that peculiarity that drew me in – that set me apart from the card-carrying members of normalcy. I was oblivious to my diverse peculiarities to the point of frequently being absent when called upon to be in present-mindedness.

My singularity, my distant gaze and peculiar awareness was off-putting to all but the very few who also shared my eccentricities. These odd ducks provided me with what little solace I could find in life outside the box of habitual conformity. We found ourselves an entity utterly and completely incapable of harmonizing with the garden-variety bourgeois alliance. We had, on occasion, tried to meld into the banal pabulum of fashionable society but would always find ourselves even farther removed from their ingratiating orthodoxy. And so, our lives continued on, each day leading us deeper into the life of the expatriates…. refugees of traditional savoir-faire.

It’s those risks taken, those rocky trails chosen over the smooth, the danger of heartbreak when the soul is lain bare, exposing the scars that bloodied our souls.... it’s those scenes played out on life’s stage that will be found the source for countless novels.

3-18-20

03-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We all like to think we're special or different
03-19-2020, 03:30 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
We all like to think we're special or different

Not me. Everyone else is different. I'm the same...

Chris
03-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not me. Everyone else is different. I'm the same...

Chris
There's always one

03-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
The Distant Drummer

The beat of the distant drummer had always been my calling. It set me apart from the multitude that tended to keep time to the raucous din of the hackneyed rhythm in vogue at the moment. It had been and always would be the divergent aspects of life that cast its charm upon me; the idiosyncratic, the unconventional nuances of the vital flame of life that had held it’s spell over me from my earliest recollection.

It did not go unnoticed among my peers who often made sport of my eccentricities. Few took the time to dare venture into my world, thinking it not the better part of refinement, but I never bothered to notice their absence. I was too busy entertaining the steady beat of that faraway cadence – too engrossed in the intoxicating non-conformity that constantly captivated my curiosity. It was that peculiarity that drew me in – that set me apart from the card-carrying members of normalcy. I was oblivious to my diverse peculiarities to the point of frequently being absent when called upon to be in present-mindedness.

My singularity, my distant gaze and peculiar awareness was off-putting to all but the very few who also shared my eccentricities. These odd ducks provided me with what little solace I could find in life outside the box of habitual conformity. We found ourselves an entity utterly and completely incapable of harmonizing with the garden-variety bourgeois alliance. We had, on occasion, tried to meld into the banal pabulum of fashionable society but would always find ourselves even farther removed from their ingratiating orthodoxy. And so, our lives continued on, each day leading us deeper into the life of the expatriates…. refugees of traditional savoir-faire.

It’s those risks taken, those rocky trails chosen over the smooth, the danger of heartbreak when the soul is lain bare, exposing the scars that bloodied our souls.... it’s those scenes played out on life’s stage that will be found the source for countless novels.

3-18-20
I like it.. well written.
Al