Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 112 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, who enjoys a good " cuppa " and what makes a good " cuppa " [ of tea ] any way ?

there is a thread already discussing the important issue of

What your favorite coffee brand and coffee machine - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

and from time to time I have enjoyed ( what I considered ) a good " cuppa " [ tea ]

but what do I know, I'm a bloke from across the pond

so what makes a good " cuppa "

just hot water and a pour thru bag with some dry stuff inside

or is there more to the secret

any body want to talk about it ?

procedure ?

what is the " good stuff " ?

anything necessary to add to the experience of a " good cuppa " ?

benefits if any

downside if any

and even more if there is more

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2020 at 04:16 AM.
03-24-2020, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so... this is about tea?
03-24-2020, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
so... this is about tea?
that's is what the slang word
QuoteQuote:
cuppa
means as far as I know

I even checked

https://www.google.com/search?q=cuppa&oq=cuppa&aqs=chrome..69i57.3775j0j8&so...hrome&ie=UTF-8
QuoteQuote:
If someone asks for a “cuppa”, they want tea. If someone asks for a “brew”, they want tea. if someone says “Are you putting the kettle on?”, they want tea. If they want a cup of coffee, then they ask for a coffee.
QuoteQuote:
Search Results
Dictionary
Search for a word
cup·pa
/ˈkəpə/
Learn to pronounce
INFORMAL•BRITISH
noun
a cup of tea.
"a good strong cuppa"
QuoteQuote:
Tea Consumption Second Only to Packaged Water
By Dan Bolton May 1, 2018
https://worldteanews.com/tea-industry-news-and-features/tea-consumption-seco...packaged-water

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2020 at 04:03 AM.
03-24-2020, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For some, a perfectly decent cuppa is simply freeze-dried coffee or tea made from a tea-bag (each with or without milk / cream and sugar). I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoy a mug of Nescafe freeze-dried coffee or Twinnings English Breakfast tea from a bag, with milk but no sugar.

In fact, for tea, I almost always use a bag. However... I'm more of a coffee guy, and I prefer freshly ground. My favourite beans are from a "Limini Coffee", a UK company in West Yorkshire. They produce various blends, but their standard "Limini Blend" is my favourite. It's a blend of ethically-sourced Arabica from Brazil, El Savador and India. It's very smooth, nutty, chocolatey and robust. I buy the beans pre-roasted in vacuum-sealed bags, and freeze them until needed. I grind them in a simple Krups electric grinder, then brew using an AeroPress (inverted method). I like mine with or without milk, but usually with.

Oh, so it's about tea. OK, then. Twinnings English Breakfast tea in a bag, brewed for 4 - 5 minutes in a mug of hot water (boiled in a kettle and allowed to cool for a few moments), adding a splash of milk so it's pink-ish red in colour.

My own view is "cuppa" refers to a "cup of" tea or coffee... That's certainly how my family, friends and past colleagues use the term

03-24-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For some, a perfectly decent cuppa is simply freeze-dried coffee or tea made from a tea-bag (each with or without milk / cream and sugar). I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoy a mug of Nescafe freeze-dried coffee or Twinnings English Breakfast tea from a bag, with milk but no sugar.

In fact, for tea, I almost always use a bag. However... I'm more of a coffee guy, and I prefer freshly ground. My favourite beans are from a "Limini Coffee", a UK company in West Yorkshire. They produce various blends, but their standard "Limini Blend" is my favourite. It's a blend of ethically-sourced Arabica from Brazil, El Savador and India. It's very smooth, nutty, chocolatey and robust. I buy the beans pre-roasted in vacuum-sealed bags, and freeze them until needed. I grind them in a simple Krups electric grinder, then brew using an AeroPress (inverted method). I like mine with or without milk, but usually with.

Oh, so it's about tea. OK, then. Twinnings English Breakfast tea in a bag, brewed for 4 - 5 minutes in a mug of hot water, splash of milk so it's red in colour.

My own view is "cuppa" refers to a "cup of" tea or coffee... That's certainly how my family, friends and past colleagues use the term
you may want to add those thoughts about coffee to this thread then:

What your favorite coffee brand and coffee machine - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

if you haven't already

I do enjoy Twinning English Breakfast tea and wondered whether it was what was available in England or just advertising " fluff "

I only add sweetener to my tea
03-24-2020, 04:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I enjoy a strong brew, not too milky, not weak. What can often be referred to as a 'builder's' cup (strong) but without sugar.

Happy enough with PG Tips, but Twinings English Breakfast is good. For green tea, not that I have it often, I recently enjoyed 'Pure Leaf's Gunpowder Green Tea (without milk).

I also enjoy Pukka Chai, it's spicy enough for me and fantastic without milk, though adding milk gives it a creamy spicy feel.
03-24-2020, 05:03 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Being a life member of the North Norfolk Railway, I always enjoy a mug of 'Engine Driver's Tea' when in their buffet - hot, strong and slightly acrid. At home, I use Tetley's Tea Bags, having tried many others - again I like it strong, made in a mug as above, with a splash of milk and no sugar, with a few Rich Tea biscuits dunked in it.

When Tea Bags first came on the market, my aunt bought some, but did not understand the principle - when she made tea (in a large brown china Tea Pot), she would carefully cut the bag open with scissors, then tip the contents into the pot.

03-24-2020, 05:10 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
with a few Rich Tea biscuits dunked in it
I haven't had a Rich Tea biscuit in years. I agree, though - they're the perfect accompaniment to a brew... and they absolutely must be dunked
03-24-2020, 05:55 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so the perfect cup of tea:

To begin with you'll need a proper teapot, pre-warmed, and bone china teacups. Now take the tea of your choice, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Lapsang Souchong or whatever, and throw it in the kitchen bin, followed by the teapot and cups. Finish by firing up your espresso machine and making a proper drink.
03-24-2020, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
. . .making a proper drink.
a proper drink being a good single malt scotch whisky
03-24-2020, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, Dave, I fear you have gone down in my estimation! Tea is a fine thing, just as coffee is, and well worth savouring. Preheat a big mug with boiling water, then pour boiling water over your teabag of choice and brew to taste. Add sugar and/or milk as you please and go back to bed. Weekend mornings are just not right without a proper start. In my case it’s strong Lapsang Souchong, two sugars and a splosh of full cream milk. Ahhhhh!
03-24-2020, 06:23 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I haven't had a Rich Tea biscuit in years. I agree, though - they're the perfect accompaniment to a brew... and they absolutely must be dunked
Trouble is, modern biscuits absorb too much liquid too rapidly, and tend to collapse between cup and lip - leading to a charge of dunk and disorderly.
03-24-2020, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

One of South Africa's favorite brands, also my usual choice.

03-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
benefit of tea leaf vs. tea bag

Tea bags vs loose leaf tea: Top 5 reasons to ditch the tea bags and take the loose-leaf plunge - Tea Sparrow

hype or real
03-24-2020, 07:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since last year, I've reduced my caffeine intake, and now have only one mug of coffee daily, at breakfast. I'll have a second cup if I'm meeting occasionally with friends for mid-morning coffee (of course, not now).

On the other hand, I'm now enjoying a tea routine, usually mid-afternoon or early evening. My brands include Twinings and Stash (an Oregon company). Earl Grey, Green, Lemon & Ginger, or Chai.

My preparation is not fancy -- boil water in the microwave in a measuring cup (I know, I know...), preheat a plain ol' tea mug with hot water, seep the individual tea bag for 5 minutes. Sip, Enjoy.

- Craig