The Tea Song - by Yorkshire Tea - YouTube
I've seen [ and participated in ] worse hijacking of threads here at the forums

that one is an advertisement isn't it

03-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
that one is an advertisement isn't it
It is. But funny.

I have now fallen down a Youtube rabbit hole of tea songs...

03-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
. . . I have now fallen down a Youtube rabbit hole of tea songs...

english tea - paul mccartney - YouTube

[ just kidding ]
03-25-2020, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #52
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
the tea-bag MUST be removed before adding the milk.
No, the tea bag should be removed before making the tea. Real tea is loose tea, not the powdered stuff in paper bags.

I have been through the whole Twinings catalogue and many others and have returned to the lineage of my childhood. My parents used Lan-choo. My variation on that was to seek out a looseleaf black tea that is naturally low in caffeine (not decaffeinated) but still full flavoured. I have settled on a fabulous tea from Sri Lanka: Organic Tea Australia | Nature's Cuppa I drink it black with no sugar, but I'm sure that those who prefer lemon or milk and sugar would enjoy it too.

I spoke to the Australian boss of the company once. He is a passionate tea-lover. He spoke lyrically of the seasonal variation as the tea plants are in various stages of flowering. I can taste the difference - seriously. It's like a wine, where every harvest produces slight variation. Their tea is sourced from plantations that don't use herbicides or pesticides and they seem committed to fair trade.

The other key ingredient of good tea is water without chlorine or fluoride. (No I'm not opposed to the addition of these thing to municipal water supplies, I just don't want them in my tea.) If you don't have filtered rainwater, as we do, filter the tap water.

The classic formula for tea in a pot is one spoon of tea for each person and one for the pot. But this is generally too strong for my taste. I use 3 heaped teaspoons in a (pre-heated) standard ceramic pot. Allow it to draw for 3-5 minutes before pouring (through a strainer). The ratio of tea to water is a matter of personal preference, so experiment. Better to make it a little strong and pour sooner than to make it too weak and let it stew. Tea that stews for too long becomes too bitter.

For a single mug, I use loose tea in a metal infuser. It's only marginally more fuss than using a tea bag and the results are way better.

Coronavirus restrictions aside, I have found it hard to get decent tea in a cafe now, even in foodie-obsessed Melbourne in recent times. Coffee is now king. While I love my coffee, it's a pity that the quiet joy of tea-drinking isn't more widely appreciated.

(The tea was nothing special and rather weak, and the water wasn't filtered, but at least they tried.)

Last edited by Des; 03-25-2020 at 03:03 PM.
03-25-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
" Led Zepplin "

Tea For One - YouTube

No no no no! They are not singing about a brew, cuppa, mug of char..... Not in that song!
03-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I/we are "with" StiffLegged (Post #10) on Yorkshire Tea because it's "strong" (we are "old", so we need "strong"!) - and have at least a year's (probably nearly two!) supply (courtesy of the Makro trade supermarket branch in East London a year ago!), and so have 3 VERY large bags (1200 teabags each) of single-cup teabags in the attic!
03-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
"The release of this album, a millstone in popular music..."
03-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
No no no no! They are not singing about a brew, cuppa, mug of char..... Not in that song!
hmm

one commentator
QuoteQuote:
. . . Tea is usually a social thing - you drink tea with you spouse in the morning, you meet someone for tea, etc. etc. 'Tea for One' refers to to a guy drinking tea by himself. Alone. It's like going to Starbucks and drinking a cup of coffee by yourself next to the window... who does that?

This song is about a guy reflecting on being away from his girl. It is evident they used to drink tea together. Judging from this line:

[To sing a song for you, I recall you used to say
"Oh baby this one's for we two", Which in the end is you anyway]

It seems like his girl didn't really like him that much.

[How come twenty four hours, Baby sometimes slip into days?
A minute seems like a lifetime, baby when I feel this way. ]

In the above line, he is talking about how lonely he is without her. "Hours slipping into days" could refer to the girl promising to get in touch with the guy, but not fulfilling it.

[There was a time that I stood tall, In the eyes of other men
But by my own choice I left you woman, And now I can't get back again]

To me, it just seems that this guy and girl liked each other. She was probably a babe, because "in the eye's of other men" he "stood tall" which probably means they respected him for having a good looking girl. In the next part, I think it means he tried to play it cool with her to the point where she got bored and left.
Led Zeppelin - Tea for One Lyrics | SongMeanings
03-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I've heard that before. I've also heard those with more experience of "the scene" describe a different sort of stimulant. Just like "Mr Tambourine Man" isn't about a percussionist, not really.
03-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Didn't George Orwell write an essay on how to brew a good cup of tea?

I'm not a great fan of tea and rarely drink it but I've had a Yorkshireman refuse to make me one after he found out that I drink it very weak (ie basically pour the water in, let the water and tea bag get acquainted with each other and then take the tea bag out).
"Wimp"!
STRONG is what you need!

Last edited by jeallen01; 03-25-2020 at 04:09 PM.
03-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Yeah I've heard that before. I've also heard those with more experience of "the scene" describe a different sort of stimulant.
are we talking about " Candy Man " type of controversy ?

in any case, it is all in fun and further discussion would be an extreme hijacking of the thread
03-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
. . . I'm not a great fan of tea and rarely drink it . . . I drink it very weak (ie basically pour the water in, let the water and tea bag get acquainted with each other and then take the tea bag out).
sounds similar to one way of making a very very dry martini

just show the mixture a photo of a bottle of dry vermouth