OK you win
no

we won, nice little diversion I hope
03-26-2020, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
The bags are filled with the floor sweepings. If you want a proper cup of tea, you need to use loose leaf tea. Whether one of the black teas, or others, you need to start with good tea. Of course, when I'm in a hurry, I do use tea bags, but when I want a 'good' cup of tea, I start with the right ingredients. Same for a good espresso. You have to start with the good beans, perfectly roasted, perfectly ground, pushed through the machine at just the right pressure and temperature.

With tea, it's much the same. Consider the blend, or single origin if you wish, the amount of fermenting and drying of the leaf, the heat of the water and whether it's a tea that benefits from the first brew or from subsequent brews of the leaves. It' a science and not for rushing.
03-26-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I generally can't drink tea or coffee with sugar, honey or sweetener. I want to taste the tannins in the tea, and the slight bitterness in the coffee. Then again, I can't stand most dessert wines, either, unless they're very carefully paired with certain desserts - but then, I'm not really one for sweet desserts... usually, I go for the cheese board I could gulp down a sweet tea after a long walk in rough weather, if I was tired and needed perking up - but it would be for the restorative effect rather than enjoyment. Otherwise, give me a well-brewed tea with a splash of (ideally full-fat) milk, and absolutely no sugar...
No milk, no sugar. Not in espresso or in tea. Milk just ruins it in my view. Don't mind me. I get as cranky with red wine.

03-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #80
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the missus' favorite, steeping

03-26-2020, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
No, the tea bag should be removed before making the tea. Real tea is loose tea, not the powdered stuff in paper bags.

I have been through the whole Twinings catalogue and many others and have returned to the lineage of my childhood. My parents used Lan-choo. My variation on that was to seek out a looseleaf black tea that is naturally low in caffeine (not decaffeinated) but still full flavoured. I have settled on a fabulous tea from Sri Lanka: Organic Tea Australia | Nature's Cuppa I drink it black with no sugar, but I'm sure that those who prefer lemon or milk and sugar would enjoy it too.

I spoke to the Australian boss of the company once. He is a passionate tea-lover. He spoke lyrically of the seasonal variation as the tea plants are in various stages of flowering. I can taste the difference - seriously. It's like a wine, where every harvest produces slight variation. Their tea is sourced from plantations that don't use herbicides or pesticides and they seem committed to fair trade.

The other key ingredient of good tea is water without chlorine or fluoride. (No I'm not opposed to the addition of these thing to municipal water supplies, I just don't want them in my tea.) If you don't have filtered rainwater, as we do, filter the tap water.

The classic formula for tea in a pot is one spoon of tea for each person and one for the pot. But this is generally too strong for my taste. I use 3 heaped teaspoons in a (pre-heated) standard ceramic pot. Allow it to draw for 3-5 minutes before pouring (through a strainer). The ratio of tea to water is a matter of personal preference, so experiment. Better to make it a little strong and pour sooner than to make it too weak and let it stew. Tea that stews for too long becomes too bitter.

For a single mug, I use loose tea in a metal infuser. It's only marginally more fuss than using a tea bag and the results are way better.

Coronavirus restrictions aside, I have found it hard to get decent tea in a cafe now, even in foodie-obsessed Melbourne in recent times. Coffee is now king. While I love my coffee, it's a pity that the quiet joy of tea-drinking isn't more widely appreciated.

(The tea was nothing special and rather weak, and the water wasn't filtered, but at least they tried.)
Here's a man who knows what he's talking about!
03-26-2020, 04:09 AM   #82
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The bags are filled with the floor sweepings. If you want a proper cup of tea, you need to use loose leaf tea. Whether one of the black teas, or others, you need to start with good tea. Of course, when I'm in a hurry, I do use tea bags, but when I want a 'good' cup of tea, I start with the right ingredients. . . .
With tea, it's much the same. Consider the blend, or single origin if you wish, the amount of fermenting and drying of the leaf, the heat of the water and whether it's a tea that benefits from the first brew or from subsequent brews of the leaves. It' a science and not for rushing.
at least so far, I have found little loose tea available to buy in my local stores

I have not checked any specialty stores or on line yet

problem is that I just loaded up with Earl Grey, English Breakfast Tea, Constant Comment ( c ), Darjeeling all tea bags

and I don't want those to go to waste

having rarely, if any time, had " real " tea ( loose tea ) I really don't know what I am missing

and I also don't know what is good to get as opposed to what is advertised

any suggestions on what type to look for and an on line source ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-26-2020 at 04:17 AM.
03-26-2020, 05:16 AM   #83
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

all the teas the missus drinks, she buys at Amazon...

she has several Brown Betty's, in single and large sizes, also purchased through Amazon...
03-26-2020, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No milk, no sugar. Not in espresso or in tea. Milk just ruins it in my view. Don't mind me. I get as cranky with red wine.
Yeah, you should never put milk in red wine...
03-26-2020, 06:34 AM - 4 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The bags are filled with the floor sweepings.
I’ve heard this since childhood, but considering the quantity of teabag tea sold versus leaf tea nowadays, these floors must be chest deep in it.
03-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #86
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
T2 Tea - This is the US site of T2, a company that originated in Australia. Try their Melbourne breakfast loose tea for a start if you are not sure. If you don't have a decent teapot, strainer or infuser you can order one from them too.

One cultural phenomenon we haven't mentioned so far is the tea cosy - a cover to keep the teapot warm while the tea steeps. There is a whole craft associated with the tea cosy. Many artful ones are knitted from wool. There is a local festival around here devoted to them: Fish Creek Tea Cosy Festival (This year's festival has been cancelled because of coronavirus.)
03-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

at least so far, I have found little loose tea available to buy in my local stores

I have not checked any specialty stores or on line yet

problem is that I just loaded up with Earl Grey, English Breakfast Tea, Constant Comment ( c ), Darjeeling all tea bags

and I don't want those to go to waste

having rarely, if any time, had " real " tea ( loose tea ) I really don't know what I am missing

and I also don't know what is good to get as opposed to what is advertised

It seems, Allen, that a very good tea shop is right there by you in Topeka, Kansas. When not in lock-down anymore, head over there: Topeka's Best Exclusively Tea Focused CAFE
Isn't google wonderful?
03-26-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yeah, you should never put milk in red wine...
Well, if you're Spanish, you can have a calimocho. In South Africa, in the Portuguese community, it's known as a katemba. Not milk. Red wine and coke. Possibly best not to use Chateau Lafite Rothschild.
03-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #89
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It seems, Allen, that a very good tea shop is right there by you in Topeka, Kansas. When not in lock-down anymore, head over there: Topeka's Best Exclusively Tea Focused CAFE
Isn't google wonderful?
thanks

I have to confess I haven't been to the local mall for years

________

as of today, Thursday 03/26/ 20, this AM at 00:01 we are under a " safer at home " order with non essential businesses closed but " grocery stores " are suppose to stay open, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they are open

we now have 4 confirmed cases ( an increase of one from yesterday ) in Shawnee County where I live

and our 2 local hospitals have announced that they are running into financial problems due to the complete elimination of elective procedures and the resulting loss of income from such activities

and I did place an order with Amazon for

Twinings Earl Grey Tea, Loose Tea Tin

Twinings of London Irish Breakfast Loose Tea Tin

Twinings English Breakfast Tea Tin

and

House Again Tea Ball Infuser & Cooking Infuser, Extra Fine Mesh Tea Infuser Threaded Connection, for Single Cup

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.
03-26-2020, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
One cultural phenomenon we haven't mentioned so far is the tea cosy - a cover to keep the teapot warm while the tea steeps. There is a whole craft associated with the tea cosy. Many artful ones are knitted from wool.
... and are worn by outdoor photographers.