03-26-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thanks

I have to confess I haven't been to the local mall for years

________

as of today, Thursday 03/26/ 20, this AM at 00:01 we are under a " safer at home " order with non essential businesses closed but " grocery stores " are suppose to stay open, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they are open

we now have 4 confirmed cases ( an increase of one from yesterday ) in Shawnee County where I live

and our 2 local hospitals have announced that they are running into financial problems due to the complete elimination of elective procedures and the resulting loss of income from such activities

and I did place an order with Amazon for

Twinings Earl Grey Tea, Loose Tea Tin

Twinings of London Irish Breakfast Loose Tea Tin

Twinings English Breakfast Tea Tin

and

House Again Tea Ball Infuser & Cooking Infuser, Extra Fine Mesh Tea Infuser Threaded Connection, for Single Cup
Best to stay out of the mall until this mess blows over.

03-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #92
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
My personal favourite is Yunnan or Darjeeling, Darjeeling used to be considered the King of teas.
I haven't had a cup of good Darjeeling in a long time.
03-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #93
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've always thought of a "cuppa" as being cup of coffee not tea. And the word "cuppa" came from my adventure of moving close to Canada/Ontario for four years. So a cuppa can be tea too, eh? I used to like Earl Grey but it's hard to find here, on the store shelves at any rate. I've ordered it from Amazon a few times but lost interest when I went back to drinking Folger's Black Silk coffee. Tea just doesn't have the amount of caffeine in it as coffee does and from what I understand tea's caffeine is called Teen.
03-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Chinese take their tea seriously.
See, for instance List of Chinese teas - Wikipedia and Gongfu tea ceremony - Wikipedia

03-28-2020, 01:16 AM - 6 Likes   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dunkin a yoyo in a cuppa..... just a part of everyday this way (South Australia)

You'd think I'd be a bit better at it by now.... yes... a biscuit was harmed in the taking of this shot.... should have warned you.... sorry.

Oh shit.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

More on south australias yoyo... https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/yo-yo-biscuits/

And.... for real Australian tea.....place some water in the 'billy" and bring to the boil. Add tea and gum leaves .....remove from heat and stand for a bit . Swing the billy in big around the world loops a few times.... then serve with damper or bush biscuits whilst waving the flies away.

Should you do the billy swing wrong and spill it over yourself..... refill billy and start again.... and apologise to those waiting on their cuppa for the delay. Should people show concern for your burns.... just say, "shell be right, no worries".

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-28-2020 at 01:48 AM.
03-28-2020, 03:33 AM   #96
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, so far I haven't ordered a " brown betty "

but I have ordered

loose leaf teas:

Darjeeling,

Irish Breakfast,

Earl Grey,

English Breakfast and

a House Again Tea Ball Infuser & Cooking Infuser, Extra Fine Mesh Tea Infuser Threaded Connection, for Single Cup

[ and an Official Glencairn Scottish Whisky Glass Engraved with 'My Heart is in the Highland's' Robert Burns Quote | Made in Scotland as well ]

I have swung a larger bucket of water, like that [ but it was cool water, not boiling ]

and I was waiting to hear " Waltzing Matilda "

but I am confused

is the gum leaf for thickening purposes, to cause the tea leaves to stick to the bottom or what ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2020 at 04:48 AM.
03-28-2020, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #97
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say it's mostly real. There are bags out there with "real" tea (i.e. whole leaves), but most of them I don't really consider to be tea at all. I know, very snobbish of me.

03-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #98
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My British wife learned how to make tea from her even more British mother, a lady who truly believed that the WOGS started in Calais.
Here are the necessities for a great cup of tea:
1) A real Brown Betty teapot. These are heavy earthenware pots that are an excellent thermal mass.
2) Quality loose tea leaves. Right now we are drinking Yorkshire Gold black tea.
3) Use whole milk (3.25% MF) poured into the cup to taste prior to pouring the hot tea in if you prefer milk. If you add milk to tea at the strength we make it at, the milk will probably curdle. Cream (10% MF or heavier) tends to make a rather heavy brew, it's fine for coffee, not so much for tea.
4) Pour the tea through a small strainer to remove any leaves that may come out. We have found that Brown Betty teapots have the spout mounted high enough on the pot that very few leaves pour out

We make a robust beverage best served in an equally robust earthenware mug rather than a China teacup.

Because of their mass, Brown Betty posts should be prewarmed with hot but not boiling water. They can (and will) crack if the preheat water is too hot.
Use one teaspoon of loose leaves per cup of tea being made, plus a teaspoon for the pot. To make two cups of tea, we use a tablespoon of leaves.
Let the tea steep in the pot covered by a tea cozy for 7 minutes. This is individual taste, we prefer a longer steep time. If you don't use sweetener or milk, you will want a shorter steep.
Lightweight ceramic pots are not as good as a Brown Betty because they lack sufficient thermal mass to keep the tea hot enough to steep properly, the metal teapots that restaurants tend to use are really bad as they don't have the mass to keep heat in. Same with an open top mug.
I'm with you in most of this - except that I don't use milk nor any sweetener so I definitely want a shorter steep, say 4-5 minutes, depending on the size of the leaves. And I use an infuser for the tea so I can get it all out and avoid having it growing too bitter. Of course, green (unfermented) tea can handle 7 minutes or more without problems. Not my favourite, though.

I drink all sorts of flavoured black tea. There are some good tea shops here with a wide selection to choose from.
03-28-2020, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #99
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
In my (obviously correct) opinion, sugar should not be added to tea.
You are correct.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Just a wee splash of milk.
Tea - or coffee - with milk... Thanks, but I'll pass
03-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another song about tea
03-29-2020, 02:46 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

[ and an Official Glencairn Scottish Whisky Glass Engraved with 'My Heart is in the Highland's' Robert Burns Quote | Made in Scotland as well ]
This prompted me to order a Glencairn glass from Amazon. It was available on Prime so I thought it should be here on Monday. The estimated delivery was 25th April!! Apparently Amazon are now delaying deliveries of non essential items and this includes a Glencairn glass. But Dadi oil for nail treatment must be considered essential as that was available for delivery this Tuesday. They don't seem to have their priorities right

03-29-2020, 02:58 AM   #102
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
This prompted me to order a Glencairn glass from Amazon. It was available on Prime so I thought it should be here on Monday. The estimated delivery was 25th April!! Apparently Amazon are now delaying deliveries of non essential items and this includes a Glencairn glass. But Dadi oil for nail treatment must be considered essential as that was available for delivery this Tuesday. They don't seem to have their priorities right
well good things come to those who wait

and waiting is a time honored tradition:

03-29-2020, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Pour boiling water over the tea
How simple and clear can the instructions be?

They bring you a cup with a lemon slice
And an unopened tea bag beside it (how nice)
And a pot of water and it may be hot
But boiling it isn't so tea you have not"

03-29-2020, 06:29 AM   #104
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
exactly

which is why I order coffee to drink instead of tea if I am eating out
11-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #105
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
out of this world coffee

literally

QuoteQuote:
The need for caffeine was the mother of invention.

Nov. 2, 2020, 10:58 a.m. ETNov. 2, 2020
Nov. 2, 2020
By Mary Robinette Kowal

The first patented invention made in space was a coffee cup.

In November 2008, Donald Pettit wanted to drink his tea and coffee from an open vessel. While aboard the I.S.S., he tore out a plastic divider from his Flight Data File and used the magic of fluid dynamics to create an open cup. . . .

When Samantha Cristoforetti, the first Italian woman in space, went to the I.S.S., the Italian Space Agency in collaboration with Lavazza and Argotec, built a zero-g espresso machine, the ISSpresso. To save her from drinking espresso in a bag, Mark Weislogel, an engineer at Portland State university, designed a true ‘zero-g cup’ based on Dr. Pettit’s invention. . . .

In 2015, as Dr. Kjell Lindgren was preparing to launch for NASA, he had concerns about coffee.

“I love coffee and I was worried that our standard freeze-dried brew wasn’t going to cut it,” he said.

So he worked with Dr. Weislogel and Drew Wollman on a further iteration to study fluid dynamics on the station. Together, they created a brewing system that would combine some of the charm of an open cup with the essential chemistry of a good Earth-based pour-over. . . .
The need for caffeine was the mother of invention. - The New York Times