Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 112 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 09:36 PM - 3 Likes   #106
Veteran Member

I'm obviously a little late to the party so my apologies.

British common types would always refer to a "cuppa char", the word "char" comes from a Chinese word "tcha" meaning tea but is mostly associated with the British in India where they had a "char wallah" who was a local who sold freshly brewed tea. The British military appears to have kept that word alive in some cases, where "a cuppa char and a wad" is a cup of tea served with a slice of cake.

Again with the British miitary "NATO standard" is a term used to describe tea and coffee, white with two sugars. Variations on that are described by referring to celebrities of different ethnic backgrounds, for example after the sound of music because popular a "Julie Andrews" was used to describe tea with milk and no sugar (Ms Andrews Character was a White Nun). Likewise, when Whoopi Goldberg starred in "Sister Act", a cup of tea without milk or sugar (Black, Nun) was "A Whoopi". Tea with one sugar was either a "Linford Christie" (Black with one lump) or a "Steve Redgrave" (White with one lump). I do not know of an example where a "brew" or a "wet" (alternative military terms for tea, depending on the branch of the military you were a member of) with more than two sugars had a nickname.

Sir Terry Pratchett referred to the preferred tea of Sir Samual Vimes as "boiled orange in a builders boot with two sugars and yesterdays milk"., which anyone who has worked shifts in work place will appreciate. There is a class of beverage in the UK known as "builders tea" which tends to be very strong and sweet and fits that description, and again the British military had perfected the method of providing tea for the troops in that manner. Days out at the shooting range or on exercise meant you were issued with a packed lunch each and an urn of tea for the group which was prepared before you left. By lunchtime it was literally an orange colour but still tasted great.

For me I start the day with a pint mug of tea. I boil the kettle when I get up, put the boiled water and teabag (English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast, Tetleys is expensive here...) in the mug and then it sits there and infuses while I feed the dog and make my breakfast. By the time I have everything made I remove the tea bag, pour in some milk and off I go. Through the day I will have three of four cups of tea, definitely one with my lunch, and have been known to use tea making as an excuse to avoid people or delay my answer (which gives me time to think of a response or alibi...).

Finally, I give you a short clip from a feature film that epitomises the British military and tea drinking....

11-07-2020, 04:23 AM - 2 Likes   #107
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Again with the British miitary "NATO standard" is a term used to describe tea and coffee, white with two sugars. Variations on that are described by referring to celebrities of different ethnic backgrounds, for example after the sound of music because popular a "Julie Andrews" was used to describe tea with milk and no sugar (Ms Andrews Character was a White Nun). Likewise, when Whoopi Goldberg starred in "Sister Act", a cup of tea without milk or sugar (Black, Nun) was "A Whoopi". Tea with one sugar was either a "Linford Christie" (Black with one lump) or a "Steve Redgrave" (White with one lump). I do not know of an example where a "brew" or a "wet" (alternative military terms for tea, depending on the branch of the military you were a member of) with more than two sugars had a nickname.
Excellent post!

I'd heard of "NATO Standard", but not the others. I assume the reason for two sugars is the energy boost it provides (along with the caffeine, of course)?

Absolute heresy for "real tea" drinkers, I know, but I've recently discovered Typhoo QT - an instant powdered black tea with whitener. You just put a good teaspoon of it into a mug, pour on boiling water and stir. It's rather like vending machine tea from the 1980s / 90s, but a little nicer. Anyway, for some strange reason I really like it... perhaps because I drank so much of the vending machine stuff during my office working days What it's especially good for, though, is making up a flask. Because it's powdered, you don't have to fish out the tea-bags, and since it contains whitener, there's no need for milk. Result - steaming hot tea. When I want a "real" cup of tea, I still prefer Twinings or PG Tips from a bag, with real milk... but this QT stuff is extremely convenient and useful, and makes a serviceable drink. I imagine it would taste even better in "NATO Standard" form, but I'm more your "Julie Andrews" type

EDIT: For those in the UK, I heartily recommend trying Aldi's "Diplomat Gold Blend" tea-bags. They make a really lovely cuppa, they're "Rainforest Alliance" certified, and cheap at 95p for 80 bags!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-07-2020 at 01:43 PM.
11-07-2020, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Absolute heresy for "real tea" drinkers, I know, but I've recently discovered Typhoo QT - an instant powdered black tea with whitener.

Last edited by Des; 11-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.
11-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #109
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
on a less smoky note:

QuoteQuote:
A Story of an Empire, Told Through Tea

By Theresa Machemer
SMITHSONIANMAG.COM
MARCH 12, 2020

The Met has revamped its British Galleries, drawing on luxurious artifacts to highlight the country’s history of exploitation

A diverse display of 100 teapots is among the most thought-provoking elements in the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s reimagined British Galleries, which offer a critical assessment of the relationship between imperial luxury and the system of exploitation that made this lifestyle possible.

“Tucked away in each teapot, tapestry, and table is a richer story than you might imagine,” reads the New York museum’s exhibition primer. “… Taken together, they remind us that design is never just about what we see—it’s also about people, politics, and power.” . . .
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/story-empire-told-tea-180974401/

11-07-2020, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
instant powdered black tea with whitener.
What blasphemy is this?
11-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #111
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to get some more tea. All I have left is the Lipton tea my wife uses for iced tea.
11-08-2020, 04:20 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . .?

Absolute heresy for "real tea" drinkers . . .
QuoteQuote:
A riot is an ugly thing and I think it is just about time that we had one

11-08-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Surely you need a disaster/mishap/accident so you can utter the immortal words "sit down and I will put kettle on for a cup of tea" - the classic British response to any emergency.
11-08-2020, 06:14 AM - 6 Likes   #114
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Surely you need a disaster/mishap/accident so you can utter the immortal words "sit down and I will put kettle on for a cup of tea" - the classic British response to any emergency.
A mild upset might justify a cup of tea. For a disaster or serious mishap / accident, a pot of tea is essential. One cup per person simply isn't enough.

Example:
Neighbour 1: "What's wrong, dear?"

Neighbour 2 (crying): "Bob left me last night and took the kids with him. Then a meteor hit the house, destroying it... and I had a winning lottery ticket on the bed-side table. It's gone. Everything's gone! I'm ruined!"

Neighbour 1: "Oh, my... Sit down... I'll make a pot of tea."
11-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
What blasphemy is this?
My thoughts exactly!
11-09-2020, 03:28 AM - 2 Likes   #116
Veteran Member

The British civil service were always portrayed in black and white films as being very well dressed (pinstripe suit, bowler hat and rolled umbrella for the gentlemen, twinset and pearls, tweed skirt and sensible shoes for the women), very proper, and unflappable in any situation (google "Richard Wattis" for a perfect example).

Their first port of call for anything unexpected was a nice cup of tea, the cat has been run over - put the kettle on. There are riots outside - get the best china. All out Nuclear warfare - find yourself enough wood to make a fire and put the kettle on. You get the picture...

Many years ago I saw a cartoon which summed up the civil service views on tea drinking. There were two very well dressed gentlemen siting behind a table, above which was a large banner saying "Civil Service Job Interviews". A third gentleman was seen leaving the room, he had just opened the door so all you actually saw was the leg of the interviewee as he walked out.

First civil servant turned to second civil servant and said "I really don't think he is the person we are looking for, Yes he was the qualifications and the experience, but he doesn't look the type who would warm the pot...."
11-09-2020, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #117
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam:
instant powdered black tea with whitener.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
What blasphemy is this?
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My thoughts exactly!
I know, I know... It's not real tea, I'll be the first to admit; but - just as I don't consider freeze-dried Nescafe granules to be "real" coffee yet still enjoy a cup when the mood takes me - I like Typhoo QT on its own merits. I survived many a late night at the office on small plastic cups of vending machine tea, so maybe that's why I'm OK with it
11-09-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I need to get some more tea. All I have left is the Lipton tea my wife uses for iced tea.
Liptons! - the absolute total pits of an apology for tea, as found in many (probably MOST!) "foreign" tourist resorts and hotels!

We always have, and always will when we get the opportunity to go on foreign holidays ( if ever again?) take a load of YORKSHIRE TEA (that is an actual brand!) teabags to see us through (we have a lot! - I buy them in large bags of 1200 at MAKRO, and still have a couple of those large bags in the attic, so we're well-stocked for the "immediate future"??!)
11-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #119
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Liptons! - the absolute total pits of an apology for tea, as found in many (probably MOST!) "foreign" tourist resorts and hotels!

We always have, and always will when we get the opportunity to go on foreign holidays ( if ever again?) take a load of YORKSHIRE TEA (that is an actual brand!) teabags to see us through (we have a lot! - I buy them in large bags of 1200 at MAKRO, and still have a couple of those large bags in the attic, so we're well-stocked for the "immediate future"??!)
To be fair, it's better than the ... I forget the name exactly, Crystal Lite or some such?

Personally, while I used to enjoy the sweet tea that she makes, I've lost my taste for it. I usually have my own selection of various teas in the cupboard. For a cool beverage, I actually find myself preferring the monstrosity that is mixing lemonade with iced tea. It doesn't sound like it should work what-so-ever, but I oddly like it. And drink way too much of it.
11-09-2020, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know, I know... It's not real tea, I'll be the first to admit; but - just as I don't consider freeze-dried Nescafe granules to be "real" coffee yet still enjoy a cup when the mood takes me....
You're a very sick man Mike!