Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikek200d's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 74
Marketplace Decorum, or there isn't any?

Serious question; what's the deal with Forum members making upfront offers on gear... and then immediately withdrawing it as soon as it's been accepted, without question or further negotiation? Without naming names, this has happened three times now, twice in the last week; is this a thing around here that I don't know about? It is NOT cool, guys.

03-27-2020, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
There are Marketplace rules that should be followed. The rest is down to clarity of communication and folks being honourable in their business dealings.

It's very poor show for anyone to rescind an offer if a clear agreement to transact was reached. I stress that in bold, because it's easy to make assumptions. If someone says "Would you accept an offer of $100 for the lens?", that's not an agreement - it's just an enquiry. But if there's an explicit agreement that the deal is going ahead, then either side pulling out is poor show unless there are very good reasons ("I changed my mind" or "I bought something else" doesn't really qualify, IMHO).

I'd encourage any members who experience this behaviour to let the moderators know the parties concerned, and provide evidence of the explicit agreement. If we see it happening by the same folks time and again, we'll take action.
03-27-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikek200d's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 74
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There are Marketplace rules that should be followed. The rest is down to clarity of communication and folks being honourable in their business dealings.

It's very poor show for anyone to rescind an offer if a clear agreement to transact was reached. I stress that in bold, because it's easy to make assumptions. If someone says "Would you accept an offer of $100 for the lens?", that's not an agreement - it's just an enquiry. But if there's an explicit agreement that the deal is going ahead, then either side pulling out is poor show unless there are very good reasons ("I changed my mind" or "I bought something else" doesn't really qualify, IMHO).

I'd encourage any members who experience this behaviour to let the moderators know the parties concerned, and provide evidence of the explicit agreement. If we see it happening by the same folks time and again, we'll take action.
I agree with EVERY word of this. In the last transaction, which the offer was almost immediately accepted in (within an hour or two, no counter-offer), the first PM was "Sorry, I bought something else" (there was NO expiration time on the offer, BTW), and his second, immediate PM, before I even responded was "Sorry, but my wife says ...".

I'll be forwarding this last round of PM's to the moderators.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary closing words - please keep things friendly
03-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,654
Some people just aren't very polite, that's a fact.

There's been a lot of discussion on this topic...

See this recent thread, for example:
Marketplace manners and protocol - PentaxForums.com

03-27-2020, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikek200d's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 74
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Some people just aren't very polite, that's a fact.

There's been a lot of discussion on this topic...

See this recent thread, for example:
Marketplace manners and protocol - PentaxForums.com
I guess so.

Here's the thing, guys; it's simple.

If you make an offer, be prepared to have it accepted and have the money ready to go.
If you accept an offer, send the thing.

If you need a permission slip to do either one, get THAT first.
03-27-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,654
QuoteOriginally posted by mikek200d Quote
I guess so.

Here's the thing, guys; it's simple.

If you make an offer, be prepared to have it accepted and have the money ready to go.
If you accept an offer, send the thing.

If you need a permission slip to do either one, get THAT first.

I don't disagree with you here and it's common sense, but unfortunately not everyone has the same mind set.

Remember, common sense isn't that common...
03-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian
johnyates's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,318
These are, for many of us, times of fear and uncertainty--that may play a small part.
03-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikek200d's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 74
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
These are, for many of us, times of fear and uncertainty--that may play a small part.
So that explains responding to a listing, making an offer, going dark for 12 hours after it's been accepted and then withdrawing it?

Ummmmmm, how about NO.

03-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian
johnyates's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,318
QuoteOriginally posted by mikek200d Quote
So that explains responding to a listing, making an offer, going dark for 12 hours after it's been accepted and then withdrawing it?
Well yes Mike, it would. Buyer's remorse is a thing. It happens enough that there's a name for it. I appreciate your frustration, but people will be human.

Sales 101: You need to get a commitment before you accept the offer.

Last edited by johnyates; 03-27-2020 at 02:17 PM.
03-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,266
While I agree that backing out of a sale is poor form, I think it's important to realise that we live in unique times. The buyer may have realised that, with COVID-19, his income stream is down the drain or he needs to ensure he has reserves for whatever reason.
It's like the good ol' days of newspaper for sale adverts: The sale stays up until the seller has money in hand and the item is en route to the seller.
03-27-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,269
I think there will be many disappointments and many kindnesses over the next six months.

My son had six customers the last day his store was open. Normally he does $10,000 a day in March Five were returns because the athletic season was canceled. One bought $1,000 worth of merchandise at the advertised 40% discount, then bought a $400 Gift Card. On the way out the door he said, “I hope I don’t lose this,” and winked.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-27-2020 at 08:23 PM.
03-28-2020, 04:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikek200d's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 74
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Well yes Mike, it would. Buyer's remorse is a thing. It happens enough that there's a name for it. I appreciate your frustration, but people will be human.

Sales 101: You need to get a commitment before you accept the offer.
Well, no, John, actually, it doesn't, and people will be impolite to the point of making excuses for it as well.

Sales 101, my eye. "Buyer's remorse", where there is no pressure, they extended the offer and then lied about why they backed out of the deal THREE times is barely an excuse, and not anywhere near an explanation. BTW, the BUYER bears the burden of buyer's remorse, not anyone else.

There was a sale I made on this forum last year to a really great guy; big lens, lots of money involved. He purchased my lens to replace one he sold because that one was WAY too big for him to handle with his disability. When he got mine, he realized that it, too, was too heavy for him and immediately re-listed it. I contacted him that same day through the forum, on his listing and bought it back from him, no harm, no foul. The thread is is still up somewhere if you need to check. He didn't ask, I offered and I didn't change my mind, as much as I would have liked to have had it sold and done. That's how people, who are supposedly in the same place for the same common interest, do business and conduct themselves.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-28-2020 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly and respectful
03-28-2020, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
Folks - the OP's point has been amply made, and I don't feel further discussion will be beneficial. As such, I'm closing the thread.

If you're a potential buyer, please only make an offer to buy if you intend to follow through with the transaction. If it's absolutely unavoidable that you back out, please communicate properly with the seller and demonstrate good reason.

If you're a seller who has received and accepted an offer, it's safest to assume the deal is done only when you've received funds.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-28-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
question
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why isn't any PK-Nex with autofocus yet ? redcat Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 03-05-2020 02:43 PM
Are there any geriatric Camera bag solutions out there? I turned 50 and.... lazarustx Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 30 02-17-2020 03:50 AM
Question Decorum Question Dukeatoakland Site Suggestions and Help 1 07-07-2014 11:12 AM
Why GoProís Success Isnít Really Isn't about the Cameras interested_observer General Photography 16 07-01-2014 05:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top