Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera bag assistance

The forum has never steered me wrong before, so I come to you again asking for help.

I am in search of a new, smaller, camera bag for light travel. I currently have a K1 and a K3 with the grip in my LowePro AW500 bag. While I love the bag, it is getting extremely heavy for those quick weekend jaunts that only require one camera. The smallest lenses that are routinely in there are the FA 50/1.4 and my DA 40. The rest are FA 28-70, DFA 15-30, DA 16-50, DA 60-250, DA 55/1.4 and sometimes the A 35-105. While your first suggestion is to carry less gear, I absolutely concur, but why carry such a large pack if it is not being fully utilized.

At the risk of sounding like an arse, thereís a certain asthetic I would like. Because this bag wonít be for long hikes, the protection isnít as paramount. As such, Iíd like something made of tan canvas with leather. Backpack-style is preferable to sling. My first camera bag was a sling, and it was terrible for long hikes/bike rides because it kept sliding around. Which brings me to my next point: my first ďgoodĒ lens was the DA 16-50 and that lens frequently collapsed the dividers inside my old sling bag, so ideally Iíd be bringing two or three lenses tops, and it needs to withstand the weight.

Any suggestions of bags would be great.

03-28-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the AW400. Actually two of them. It is a nice bag, and not that heavy. You probably know about it already, since you have the 500. I can fit my Sigma 500 or Pentax 70-200 in it with a Pentax dslr on it also, plus some other things. I also carry my 16-85 in it sometimes, with a dslr on it, plus flashes, batteries, triggers, and other accessories. It also fits under the seat in front of me on most planes (good for most air travel). Some of the small commuter planes do not have the same amount of space under the seats.
03-28-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Aesthetically, thatís not what Iím looking for, but honestly? The 400 might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
03-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a good bag. It holds quite a bit, is well padded, and accommodates travel quite well. I found that the prices on ebay for a brand new one may vary from other dealer offers and Amazon. I bought my second one on ebay.

Good luck with your decision.