Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Be patient.

Drinking green beer will make you I’ll.
Negative sir. I speak from experience since none of my batches never made it to 30 days

05-27-2020, 05:21 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my projects was to build a stationary trainer for my bicycle.
Had all the materials on hand except for the two bearings, McMaster-Carr is your friend!
Attached Images

05-27-2020, 05:45 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
One of my projects was to build a stationary trainer for my bicycle.
Had all the materials on hand except for the two bearings, McMaster-Carr is your friend!
You should connect it to an alternator, charge a battery and use that to power stuff with an inverter.
05-27-2020, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You should connect it to an alternator, charge a battery and use that to power stuff with an inverter.
I would have but had just thrown out two permanent magnet starter motors.
They would have been perfect for a variable load and/or battery charging with rectifiers and a regulator.

05-28-2020, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest lockdown project,upcycling an old pallet into seed trays for Mrs B and yes,I was going for the “rustic” look

Last edited by timb64; 05-28-2020 at 07:16 AM.
05-28-2020, 01:12 PM - 3 Likes   #81
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pizza oven footing making progress.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
05-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I couldn't wait that long. I managed to purchase beer today in a low-risk way, so the anxiety of watching the beer supply dwindle is gone.

I got caught up in restoring more of my antique woodworking tools to working condition, an on-and-off project for the last six months. This is today's success, a wood-bodied rabbet plane (rebate in UK, but US terms diverged after our Revolution). These look simple but small details have evolved over time to make them work better. For example, the shavings produced by the plane would quickly jam up if they didn't have an escape path. So the hole in the middle has a complex shape to bend, curl and eject the shavings.

A previous user screwed a metal guide plate to the side which stained them. It would look really nice refinished but I'm trying to resist doing that until they all work.
Nice. I love old tools.

05-28-2020, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At work the deadline for submitting our vacation requests was prior to the pandemic.
I assume we will still be in lockdown when mine starts the second week of June.

I had planned to spend some time organizing my mess and getting rid of some stuff.
During the process it will likely get even messier here, which really upsets my wife.

She usually visits her mother in Florida during my "working vacations".
That is unlikely this time around, so it's possible nothing will get done.

Chris
05-29-2020, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i finally bust out of isolation and took off for a week in the motorhome to the Nevada desert. I'd planned to go in late march, but better late than never. I think we were more isolated than at home. In a whole week, I got within a hundred yards of one person (Camp ground check in).

---------- Post added 05-29-20 at 10:54 PM ----------

That looks to be at least seismic zone 4.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-02-2020, 09:21 PM - 3 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife picked up some black walnuts from a backyard tree at her childhood home, last fall. She planted it temporarily in the garden but eventually it'll get huge so it needed to be moved to its own hole. She said the hole needed to be 3 feet deep and 3 feet in diameter, partly because it's a tree and partly because our "soil" is solid clay with a sprinkling of construction debris. (We hired some guys to put in a fence and they broke two augurs doing it.) So after three days of chiseling a hole a bit at a time, I took this photo for fun. The tree is all of an inch high right now.

Walnut tree tip: they poison the soil around them to outcompete other plants and grow faster.
06-07-2020, 12:34 AM - 4 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Walnut tree tip: they poison the soil around them to outcompete other plants and grow faster.
I did not know that!

In other news, pizza oven base making progress.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
06-29-2020, 03:52 PM - 3 Likes   #87
Pentaxian

I got to really work on my small front yard lawn due to the stay home orders. Everyone in my block (but me and another fellah) has a landscaping company doing their yards. I learned about fertilizing, 3-in-1, burning my lawn, watering, Kelp, Humic Acid...

In the end, I am very proud of my results thus far (PS - photo looks waaaay better than in-person)

At 28mm w my favorite M 28/2.8:

At 35mm w the Rikenon 35/2.8:

Both shots at 10:30sh at night, long exposure. Wife saw my through the window and almost had a meltdown - she do not want the neighbors to know that I'm crazy yet (her words).
06-29-2020, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Wife saw my through the window and almost had a meltdown - she do not want the neighbors to know that I'm crazy yet (her words).
Brilliant!

Might I add that your lawn looks much better than mine!
06-29-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

Trying to get into some boos that were recommended to me by a member. They took a bit longer to arrive than I wanted due to mail slowdowns but the three I could afford made it as of this morning. Ansel Adams Book Two, The Negative was the first shipped and the last to arrive but it looks nearly new although I bought it used. Big pricing difference! I need to spend a bit less time on the computer after work and study like I planned. Since it is raining here, (finally,) I have no excuses
06-29-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Brilliant!

Might I add that your lawn looks much better than mine!
LOL - thanks... might I add, I saw my wife words as compliments... might have even blushed there for a minute.