Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 133 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2020, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Like most "reality" TV it's a bit silly, but there are some useful lessons to be learned.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, quite silly.
Sure, there is some unnecessary drama or acting scripting into many of these shows, but the best ones minimize that and concentrate on the details of the craft or the work. I think Forged In Fire does a pretty good job of that, and moves along through each stage quickly.

I don't watch TV at home, only during business travel, but when I do, it's usually a show like this, or an automotive show dedicated to my inner hoon. I guess I enjoy seeing the details of "How It All Comes About". I've watched BTS features on all manner of things, oftentimes the work that goes into creating something is more interesting to me than the final product.

04-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
...and finally honing an edge (on one side only).
Is that because of the type of knife or because it will look more interesting?
04-10-2020, 10:47 PM - 4 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Is that because of the type of knife or because it will look more interesting?
The Japanese nakiri (this knife is basically a miniature version) is typically sharpened on one side only. The flat side is on the left for right handed slicers, allowing greater precision.

The first knife I made (below) is cross between a nakiri and a cleaver, and I gave its very thick, heavy blade a double edge. While it is still a fantastic slicer, I find getting perfect verticals to be a challenge.

04-13-2020, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered 1 gallon starter beer brewing kit,if the virus doesn't get me liver disease may well do!

04-15-2020, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

If anyone is interesting in a quick fun 20 minute several hour project, these tensegrity structures are pretty cool. Held up by string! And, I figured that placing my beloved 21 Ltd on it was a good sign of my trust in it's engineering

04-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If anyone is interesting in a quick fun 20 minute several hour project, these tensegrity structures are pretty cool. Held up by string! And, I figured that placing my beloved 21 Ltd on it was a good sign of my trust in it's engineering
Ha, I thought that was some kind of Escher optical trickery until I noticed the small but vital string in the middle holding the whole thing up
04-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Ha, I thought that was some kind of Escher optical trickery until I noticed the small but vital string in the middle holding the whole thing up
Yep! It's a bit perplexing at first glance, but it soon makes sense. Currently it's a bit wobbly to use as a coaster, but if I could find a simple way to completely tension the corner strings and maybe a stronger centre one, it wouldn't have any problem being used as that. I'm almost considering making some nicer ones to give as gifts, or even a full sized table using cable or chains.

04-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe a stronger centre one,
Paracord??
04-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I am watching the Sopranos, sorting out my massive DVD collection and photographing events to document the changes.
04-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Paracord??
Yep, that would work, but the bits of wood are on the verge of splitting, so drilling a bigger hole would most likely do so...
04-23-2020, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

Nothing fancy, just a quick shed I built over these last two mornings.

04-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Nothing fancy, just a quick shed I built over these last two mornings.
Very impressive
04-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Very impressive
Thanks - this is just pretty simple, and we always seem to need more covered space for things. It's not like I have a lot of better things to do right now...
04-23-2020, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep! It's a bit perplexing at first glance, but it soon makes sense. Currently it's a bit wobbly to use as a coaster, but if I could find a simple way to completely tension the corner strings and maybe a stronger centre one, it wouldn't have any problem being used as that. I'm almost considering making some nicer ones to give as gifts, or even a full sized table using cable or chains.
That's a cool idea, especially if you could hide the tension mechanism so all anyone sees are the five strings.

I put in a fan for the attic space above my garage. The home builder put a vent in the gable end but never cut a hole for it on the inside. Weird, but that allowed me to cut a hole exactly the size of my fan. Some window screen to deter bugs, some 2x4s and electrical wiring, and the space might cool off faster. I had to hurry; it was getting up to 125F on sunny days when it was only 65F outside.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 04-23-2020 at 08:41 PM.
04-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Since I usually post photo update one every 2-3 days on my Instagram page. But I can not go out to take new photo, So my Coronavirus project is to add shooting location to the old photos and re-post them on my Instagram page. Check it out If you plan to go to Tokyo in the future. It can be helpful because they are pinpoint location on Google map. With Phone GPS, you waste no time search for it. I start with a series of free to enter tall building in Tokyo. It is currently at #2, and I have more than 10 places to-go for the first series.