Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well done sir!

Coronavirus: Army veteran, 99, 'smashes' £500k NHS target - BBC News

04-14-2020, 01:25 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Positive vibes from an old hippie (that's George not me!)

04-15-2020, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mennonite women in Georgia making and donating masks: Montezuma Mennonite community making masks for COVID-19 relief | 13wmaz.com

Making art in a time of covid: Art in a time of COVID-19: a round-up of creative voices
04-15-2020, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mobile internet " hot spots " set up:

QuoteQuote:
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library is helping to fill a gap in internet access by repurposing two of its bookmobiles as Wi-Fi hotspots. Both buses are set up in southeast Topeka, with one located in the Topeka Correctional Facility parking lot, 815 S.E. Rice Road, and the other at Coachlight Village East Mobile Home Park, 3637 S.E. 6th Ave.

The buses will alternate days, with the correctional facility location being operational from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the one at the mobile home park available from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The buses are placed in areas that lack internet access as a way to support Shawnee Heights school district students. Those utilizing the internet access are asked to park near the bus and connect to the Wi-Fi service “TSCPL-Public.”

“One issue that has become apparent in light of our current circumstances is the lack of fast and affordable community broadband,” library CEO Gina Millsap said Monday in a news release. “These days having internet access is as important as electricity and other utilities and with so many students and parents working from home, the library is making this need a priority.”

Millsap said she communicated last week with school officials to determine what needs schools might have as students, teachers and families transition to at-home classes and working from home. The two Wi-Fi locations were suggested by USD 450 superintendent Martin Stessman, according to the news release. Stessman identified the Eastgate neighborhood and mobile home park as areas that lack broadband access for students. The library plans to consider additional Wi-Fi sites if the initiative proves successful. Free Wi-Fi is also being provided in the library’s west parking lot every day from 7 a.m. to 9:15 p.m.

Shawnee County Parks and Recreation also has free Wi-Fi set up at various locations:

‒ Central Park Community Center, 1534 S.W. Clay St.
‒ Oakland Community Center, 801 N.E. Poplar St.
‒ Garfield Community Center, 1600 N.E. Quincy St.
‒ Crestview Community Center, 4801 S.W. Shunga Drive
‒ Rice Community Center, 432 S.E. Norwood St.
Topeka library provides free Wi-Fi in East Topeka - News - The Topeka Capital-Journal - Topeka, KS

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-15-2020 at 03:49 AM.
04-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update from Post #31, what a star and true gent!

Coronavirus: Capt Tom Moore finishes NHS fundraiser as it tops £13m - BBC News
04-16-2020, 04:47 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it would be nice if the Queen could send him a message

" well done "

would do

I loved the Honour Guard from the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment awaiting his arrival at the finish line

and well done to the donors who gave to the cause as well
04-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #37
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Spreadin' some thankyous

04-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it would be nice if the Queen could send him a message

" well done "

would do

I loved the Honour Guard from the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment awaiting his arrival at the finish line

and well done to the donors who gave to the cause as well
There's a big campaign to get him knighted.
04-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
There's a big campaign to get him knighted.
They should make him a Duke. Not many of them left so they need to make a few more.
04-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
They should make him a Duke. Not many of them left so they need to make a few more.
If only it was based on merit
04-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My good news has nothing to do with any that's been posted. But it made me give a sigh of relief. I got a letter today that the government is going to stop harassing me about my owed student loans. In fact they've erased them, along with any interest owed. I don't know if it had anything to do with my age or the COVID-19. But either way, it made me a happy stuck at home camper.
04-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My good news has nothing to do with any that's been posted. But it made me give a sigh of relief. I got a letter today that the government is going to stop harassing me about my owed student loans. In fact they've erased them, along with any interest owed. I don't know if it had anything to do with my age or the COVID-19. But either way, it made me a happy stuck at home camper.
Great news not to have debt hanging over you.
04-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Reading the whole letter, I found it was related to COVID=19. President Trump s.igned a law, called CARES. Unfortunately, it's only temporary, until September 30, 2020.
They didn't take it away only are stopping the harassment and erased the interest for that period of time.
But I'm happy with what Trump decided to do for those of us who have problems enough without having to worry about school/college loans.
04-16-2020, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Veteran Member

10 Pioneer-Era Apple Types Thought Extinct Found In US West . News | OPB

I consider these kinds of things good news. Food species and varieties of them are just so critical to our long term food needs.Any one of these 10 varieties may hold some kind of genetic advantage that helps us deal with the next fruit tree blight .

Not just that but its just really cool these guys spend their time doing something like this.

AL
04-18-2020, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anything that helps alleviate the misery of homelessness/rough sleeping must be regarded as good news

Hotel scheme 'will cut rough sleeping after virus' - BBC News