Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Taking up knitting, me whinning about wedding disaster:(

I have had more than a few days to beat myself up over this and now decided to share with you. Lots of folks talk about great times on shoots or how great it all turned out. This is not one of those post It really could have been a lot worse but I am sure you all know when it is you it is the much, much worse.

I may have mentioned here or there that I was shooting wedding this past weekend weekend. What a disaster Well, I think it was and time will tell as I go through the 600 pictures. I would bet 475+ are crap and blurry. I had one of those days where I could not get anything to work and the harder I tried the worse it got. UGGGGGHHHH!!!.

I always said I would never be a wedding photographer and this made it a sure thing. I guess if it was in a church and was a nice sunny afternoon I would have been much better. But it was Saturday afternoon 5:30pm and they (22 year old bride and groom) had to get married outside!!. So even though no rain it was dark (cloudy no sun) and windy (like hurricane windy) the ceremony was quick and dirty (like 6 minutes tops felt like 3) so I have about 4 pictures of the ceremony that are going to take some PP work to make decent.

After was no better, the great lens I rented (DA 16-50) and loved was less than stellar while focusing in low light. It basicaly would not focus and when I tried manual it would not lock and let me take a picture. Back focus, front focus you name it, it happened. The 540 flash was giving me a headache giving various output with new batteries. It refused to spot beam focus so I switched to the Sigma 500 and it helped but again must have be taked with the 540 and said "Lets F with Pat today". I am sure I am being way to hard on myself but I can tell you they were going to pay me, but I can’t in good conscious take any money for this.

I will share the sad pictures later in the week once I go through them. I really had a plan to take some nice shots and artsy creative stuff (did my homework had a plan) but it just never happened. The wedding party of 7 had three kids under 11 the bride groom and best man under 24. The bride really was not and told me up front really not excited about pictures (we shall see if she meant it) The only good thing was the table shots and a few family shots and the cake and other usual things. But these where all in low light situations that cuased the greatest headaches. Take picture, look , blurry, try again same UGHHH!!!!! Oh the hall had NO, I mean NO decent place to take shots inside. We were stuck in a small room with nothing close for a presentable background. More like some shots a guy took while making everyone line up….

Okay I have beat myself up enough for now and my wife says I am way over reacting and have to remember they know I am not a pro and have limited gear and they will be happy no matter what. I on the other hand want to give up photography and maybe start knitting.

Sure this sounds like a rambling of a freek but it is what it is. That I can assure you will be the last wedding for a long, long, long, long, long time.

Thanks for listening.

I will stick with taking pictures at Fenway and the back yard for now. Or the knitting thing may not be a bad idea

10-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think a lot of us has been where you're at right now, as long as you got the main shots, bridle party, parents with the couple, groom+best-man tossing the garter and first dance chalk the rest up to lesson learnt.

As for focusing, it may have been something other than the lense itself, can't comment on the flash.

All said and will be said, just remember you learn from your mistakes; it's just sometimes it happens at the wrong times. The good news with all this new software and digital photography, some of those bad shots maybe recoverable
10-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pat... I feel your pain and know exactly how you feel. I can't say I ever had a wedding that seemed to go as wrong as yours did, but I have had my share of problems, which is why I rarely, and I do mean RARELY, shoot weddings these days.

You have to remember that you are responsible for the photos and the B&G are responsible for "the stage". If the stage is unsuitable for photography, you just have to do your best to work with it. HOWEVER, if the stage is as bad as yours was, even few experienced wedding photographers could get a high percentage of keepers. I really hope you pointed out the the B&G how bad "the stage" was and that it would affect the quality of the photos.

Addressing the lens. If it was giving me that much trouble I would have decoupled focus lock/shutter release and shot manual. In low light, you can judge better than the camera sometimes. Same goes for the flash. Turn it onto manual and figure things out the old fashioned way (distance and intensity).

Now, to look at things a little more positively. I'm sure you got more and better shots than you think you did, and as Clicker said, many of the marginal ones might be saved with some careful PP. Best of luck and we look forward to seeing some samples.
10-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite honestly, wedding photography is just about the most difficult way to use a camera. Unfortunately, too many people get goaded into shooting them without proper preperation.
I shot weddings full time for some 25 years, 5 years of which was working as an assistant to another wedding photographer, and every time, I had jitters, an upset stomach, a dry throat, and complete anxiety from the time I woke up on wedding day until I actually saw the proofs roll off the printer.

I suspect now it has gotten worse, as there are too many people on too many internet forums who look for a little advice before soloing a wedding with no background or training, get told a couple of things by other people who also have never shot a wedding but think they know something about it, and armed with this third hand non-knowledge, go off to self destruct on the alter of wedding photography.
They hurt themselves, they hurt the bride and groom, and they hurt the reputation of wedding photographers who are mentally prepared for the controlled chaos that a wedding can turn into.

It's not about which is the best camera, or lens, or which is the best flash.
Any camera can, and will screw up on you at the worst possible moment, it doesn't matter if it is a Holga or a D3, or anything in between.
Any venue can, and will screw up on you, any group of people can, and will, screw up on you, especially when they are embroiled in the pressure cooker that is a wedding, and anytime alcohol is involved, which it often is at weddings.
It's not really about the equipment at all.
It's about being a tough SOB who can take whatever is dished out and roll with it, and bring home salable pictures, no matter what goes wrong.
It is not a profession for the timid, the weak of mind or body, or the sensitive.
Saint Murphy is the Patron Saint of wedding photography, it sounds like he was well and truly in his best form at your wedding, and it sounds like you learned a very important lesson. Sorry to sound less than supportive, I do feel badly for you, but I've heard your story too many times over the years.

10-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Pat, I've not done a wedding yet (other than a few snapshots), but I've had similar dissapointments. I even posted about a screwed-up model shoot in the Post Your Photos section. I did it to try to show others that we all have times where we are less than impressed with the outcomes. And I had total control of the situation (in a studio) and still screwed it up.

The second time I used flash lighting, it got better. I was challenged by having to shoot indoors (it was raining out) and had to balance my single 540 flash with ambient light from the cloudy outdoors. Shooting at 1/20th of a second is not a good idea when you want sharp shots of your model :-) It was also hard to maintain a 2:1 lighting ratio.

My third time with flash the pictures are noticably better. I'm learning, improving and that'll continue. It's still not great, but it'll get there.

My point is, acknowledge what went wrong but don't take up knitting. You'll get better with practice and a positive attitude to learning from mistakes - all of which is MUCH easier said than done :-)
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

sounds like a rough time Pat
i took some wedding photos as a guest to the side during the ceremony and i too had AF problems so i can feel your pain. and the Pentax flash system isn't exactly the greatest either.
maybe next time scout out the location with your gear to make sure it all works out?
10-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If it can make you feel better, I once fell while shooting a wedding (walking backward, taking pictures of bride/bride's father walking down the aisle) and broke my wrist. That kind of threw a wrench in my day...

10-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you haven't already said no to the accepting payment; take it, it pays for your rental and effort. You can always make up for your poor preparation by offering a free portrait session with a custom framed enlargement (depends on how much they pay you). If you've already turn down payment, you can still offer a decent portrait shoot but unframed of course.

Don't let this one incident put you off shooting weddings, just be a little more prepared that's how photography works, with each shoot you become better ...just don't get down on yourself. If they are real friends i think they would understand BUT as long as you got those "key" shots, i would think your friendship would remain intact.

Personally i turn down every request from friends for wedding shoots because in my head i've already decided i can't shoot them and after i give them a few referrals, i tell them why i won't do their wedding On the flipside when i get full pay for a wedding, i have no problems...go figure LOL (mind you i haven't done one since i switched to digital either {i've always picked up my MF for those}, thankfully as i'm still in the learning process of achieving "excellent" digital images, i spend most of my time working on my photoshop and similar skills, which to me is what i think is the most important part of the digital system.
10-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you kidding.... knitting? Man, that's brutal - what size needles you gonna use, the big fat ones, skinny ones? How long do you want them? What technique you gonna use, how's your casting off? What about the wool (it's not all about the equipment I know, but it does make a difference)? Thick pure wool? Mohair? Nylon? What about the colour? Patterns or plain?

You know, back in the old days my Mum used to churn out the jerseys for us, but we always wondered if there was a better, faster way. Knitting machines came and went, they just didn't have that good feel about them, all sorts of options were tried, crikey, she even changes needle manufacturers (you know how hard it can be changing systems).

Then there's the knitting fora on the internet - don't go near them. Full of trolls, name calling, arguments. Stick to the photography.
10-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If it can make you feel better, I once fell while shooting a wedding (walking backward, taking pictures of bride/bride's father walking down the aisle) and broke my wrist. That kind of threw a wrench in my day...
The last wedding I shot, my assistant (and wife) took a tumble while walking to the location we were using for the outdoor formals. NO major injuries, but by the time we were done shooting her leg looked like she had been a little too close to a land mine that exploded.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-29-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
10-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow do I sound like a whinner or what? (don't answer that )

I typed that this morning and just feeling sorry for myself and boy it sounded like it. I will be working on the pictures tonight and wanted to check in.

Clicker - I will keep everyone posted and am sure I have some good ones I have not turned down $ yet. I will wait for thier responce first.

MrRiley - Thanks for the kind words - I tried for a better part of the later part of the evening shooting manual. Had a decent amount of keepers that way. I honestly have never had that much trouble with my 16-45. live and learn. I was so frustrated with the focusing I never switched the flash to manual (insert slap head with hand)

Wheatfields - The Truth hurts!!!!! I agree. I have done this a couple of times but buy no means a Wedding Photographer. They knew it I knew it, I hope in the end all will be well. I have always said you guys (wedding pros) are under paid

Dkittle - thanks

K100d - I did that is the sad part. I should have prepared more

ARPE - That was the best laugh I had all day. You talked me into staying here.
10-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Wow do I sound like a whinner or what? (don't answer that )

I typed that this morning and just feeling sorry for myself and boy it sounded like it. I will be working on the pictures tonight and wanted to check in.

Clicker - I will keep everyone posted and am sure I have some good ones I have not turned down $ yet. I will wait for thier responce first.

MrRiley - Thanks for the kind words - I tried for a better part of the later part of the evening shooting manual. Had a decent amount of keepers that way. I honestly have never had that much trouble with my 16-45. live and learn. I was so frustrated with the focusing I never switched the flash to manual (insert slap head with hand)

Wheatfields - The Truth hurts!!!!! I agree. I have done this a couple of times but buy no means a Wedding Photographer. They knew it I knew it, I hope in the end all will be well. I have always said you guys (wedding pros) are under paid

Dkittle - thanks

K100d - I did that is the sad part. I should have prepared more

ARPE - That was the best laugh I had all day. You talked me into staying here.
The biggie with event photography is to know your equipment. Know how to get it back to a default setting in as few dial whirlies as possible if a setting does go astray. Know the limits of the equipment. Don't presume that because it focuses OK in the good light at the rehearsal that the same will be true during the ceremony when they have turned off the overheads.
Dump the zoom lenses and get a couple of good, FAST, prime lenses. Zooms aren't worth the supposed convenience compared to what they do to things like AF, shutter speed ease of screen visibility and picture quality. They aren't as good as primes, even if they are close, and this can make a huge difference when the venue is something other than an MTF test bench.
A 50mm f/1.4 lens is a much better lens for taking pictures with than a 16-45mm f/4 lens at the long end. The screen is 8x brighter, the AF has 8x more light to work with because of the maximum aperture, and this doesn't change, no matter which f stop you are shooting at.
If you are using a "PRO ZOOM" (an oxymoron if I ever heard one), you still have 4x more light to the AF and screen.
Fast lenses let you get pictures, zoom lenses let you zoom. I've used a zoom lens exactly 3 times for wedding work in my entire career, and each time I considered it to be a mistake after reviewing the day and the pictures I brought home.
Did I mention that you should be able to run your equipment with no conscious effort? If you have to think about which button to push, or which dial to turn, you either need to practice that adjustment until it is automatic, or better still, find a way to end run around making the adjustment in the first place.

I don't trust modern flash equipment to do the job for me. Shoe-mount flash light is a nightmare looking for a child to terrify. The only good thing about it is that it is there. Even then, it should be elsewhere.

Like farther away from the lens.
And on the vertical axis rather than the horizontal axis. 95% of my weddings are shot vertical. I want my flash head above the lens, not beside it, which is where a shoe mount flash ends up being most of the time.
I don't like the flip flash gizmos that let you orient the flash either top or side. They are cumbersome and clunky, and they are another mechanism to jam or freeze or break when the maid of honor is approaching, and the bride is close in pursuit.
Because it doesn't matter how often you tell them to space themselves out at the rehearsal, they end up being a herd of cattle by the time they get to the front of the church.
A shoe mount flash is something that is easily sheared off the camera, or accessory bracket, they are big, they knock the camera off balance, the light is ugly, and they generally suck AA cells flat far too quickly, especially now that they are small computers, and pulse the flash multiple times before taking the picture.
The last may seem like a small thing, but when I push the button, I want the camera to take the d@mned picture, not light paint the subject while it figures out if it really wants to take a picture now or in a while.

Far better off to use a hammerhead style autoflash, such as an old Metz 45 or 60, or the Pentax AF400.
The flash is probably more accurate than the TTL in the camera, and the only thing to go wrong is the PC cord, several of which can easily be carried in a pocket.
They don't talk to the camera, and they don't give the camera a reason to argue about when to take the picture.
I was greatly happy when I found that they had restored the PC socket on the K20. I hope further improvements to the camera line do not remove this very important feature.

I prefer to use the camera in manual exposure mode, and I will put electrical tape over the control wheels to keep the stupid things from getting moved. Control wheels move far to easily, and are deliberately placed where they can be accidentally moved.
The marketing people call this ergonomics.
They should be forced to eat their own spleens, and then strangled with their intestines.
That may sound harsh, but I have to continuously monitor my camera settings when shooting mobile for this reason, which means I can't trust my camera to do what it is supposed to do, which is be a picture taking machine.
Hence the electrical tape over the controls.
I've gone back to manual focus lenses. AF doesn't cut it for me. The camera left to it's own devices has an astonishing ability to focus on the wrong thing, or not focus on anything at all.
I'll do it myself, thank you, and then when I push the button, I don't have to wait for the camera to decide if it is going to use the correct focus point, or for me to decide it is using the wrong one and change things.
I push the button, the camera takes the picture, and the flash fires at the right time.
When I can depend on the technology to do that for me, I'll embrace it.
If you got this far, I should give you a prize.
10-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Don't beat yourself up Pat, it happens to all of us some time or another.
I like to take pictures at friends weddings but I could never be the official photographer.
Good for you for stepping up regardless of the outcome.
I'm hoping you're going to find that things aren't so bad and that you get a decent selection of shots to pass on to the couple.
10-30-2008, 04:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Are you kidding.... knitting? Man, that's brutal - what size needles you gonna use, the big fat ones, skinny ones?
Macrame is the way to go. Nobody ever got his eye put out by tripping and falling on his macrame supplies.
10-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Brit and Mike. Wheat you have tons of great info. I have to say one thing that happened to me was in fact (I caught it more than a couple of times) the mode wheel was moved to green or in between green and Program mode.

I took about two hours to go through shots last night. I still have a few more hours to go. Anyway, it really is not as bad as I thought. The important shots look decent and the rest are not bad either. I guess I had just set myself up for the worst ( I usually do ) and now after looking all does not seem to be lost. I do not have any great shot or ones that I think WOW but my confidence is slightly restored.

BUt in case I reasearched a few things

How to Macrame (with pictures) - wikiHow
Justmommies Forums -> Macrame Techniques and Patterns
Tonia's Macrame: Marcrame Forum
Amazon.com: Knitting for Dummies: Pam Allen, Trisha Malcolm, Rich Tennant, Cheryl Fall: Books
Knitting Forums: Message Boards where knitters gather and gab

LOLOLOLOL