Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

digital picture slabs used to help focus your camera

something thats been on my mind for awhile, and i am unaware if its out there.

a few times in the past, and lately even more so, ive started to experiment with photographs taken from odd angles and vantage points.

the biggest problem is ofcourse, focusing and framing.

with my K100D, dumb luck, manual focus guestimation and trial and error were the only ways to go about doing things, especially if you have no help.

with my K20D i am having greater success at such things, thanks to the live view, unfortunetly, a) its still a small 2.7 LCD b)still only manual focus and c) (as far as i know) only right side up.

this shot was taken with my tripod setup with the middle shaft inversed, the camera upside down at pretty much ground level, and thankfully i had my lady friend with me who posed where later i posed so i can get the focus more or less accurate, however i still had to pretty much lay down on the rails to do it all.

all this is a prelude to my idea, i'm sure i'm not the first one to think of it but..

We have 8X10 digital picture frames already, so lets take it a step further and create a tablets that connect through the USB port with its own (battery?) power supply, that project to you the "live view" image.

with the help of an assistant to do the dirty work of manipulating the tripod head (or other fixation method) you can direct where you want it, and the very large screen realestate will help with manual focusing exactly how you want it, without having to get on your knees to squint through the viewfinder or an upside down LCD.

10-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i've seen that idea floated around once in a while, with LCD screens so cheap, a small one shouldn't cost a lot to make, but you know the Manufacturers will do all they can do to gouge us.

but situations like this is what Contrast Detect Live View with Face Detection is for
it's a feature that's always mocked, but i'm all for it. I want to be in the photograph sometimes.

edit: nice photo btw