Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2020, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
All my power tools are corded, probably because I bought them many years ago and cordless battery tools were not that common back then.

Your comments are interesting to me, as our son is looking for his first house. I've been thinking of buying him some power tools...drill, sander, possibly skil type saw and I've been wondering if I go for battery or corded.

He wouldn't use them much, so I was thinking of corded and of course a long 50 feet, 12 gauge extension cord.So for tools that wouldn't be used much, I'm thinking corded is the way to go

My concern with battery powered power tools is is battery durability. For stuff that will sit around much of the time....I'm not sure this is good for battery durability. It would have to stay on the charger much of the time, with little use.

I've recently been thinking of replacing our old 2 stroke Lawn Boy mower (still runs great) with a battery, self propelled mower (shoulder arthritis) ...but I've checked on the cost of battery replacement and in some cases the cost is significant . .

In comparison, my 2 stroke Lawn Boy mower is 31 years old, has cost me about $ 12 CAD in repairs in those years and still runs like a top. A new spark plug every other year, a couple gallons of gas and she's ready for another year of work. It's the pull start that medics tell me I have to avoid with my shoulder is the reason for replacement.

Yep, there is no free lunch in anything, always pros and cons.
Modern cordless tools are great as long as the batteries keep going. For home I have a Dewalt drill. It's a pretty good tool quality wise. This kit came with a charger and 2 batteries. They are doing very good with getting maximum torque out of modern cordless tools. Still, I agree that corded or air tools last a long time if cared for. In my line of work, I am often working inside over the road trailers and cordless tools are really handy. Also, you can work away from electricity. Some of the newer cordless impact wrenches can put out 400 ft/lbs of torque and cheap ones now can put out 300.

For cordless tools, look for lithium ion batteries. They hold a lot of power and can be recharged hundreds of times. The older Ni-Cad batteries don't last long and sometimes, even with 2 batteries, I run out of usable power on the second battery before the first one is finished charging. You always need multiple batteries. Cordless impact wrenches work much better than drills just by the nature of the tool. While I have cordless drills, I also have power drills. I have passed on any electric or cordless electric lawn mowers. Give me gas for that job. However, cordless weed whackers are great.

Being a mechanic for trucking fleets for so many years, I have accumulated a ton of tools. There are advantages and disadvantages for all of the available types of power tools. I have small drills, big drills, right angle drills, hammer drills, all in corded, cordless and also pneumatic. They all are superior for certain jobs and inferior for others. As a professional, it's necessary to have this stuff. For a homeowner, a high quality standard sized drill with a 1/2 inch chuck should be able to handle most chores. The chuck is important. Cheap drills come with crappy chucks. If you do need a big drill or hammer drill, rent one from you local hardware store.

04-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Modern cordless tools are great as long as the batteries keep going. For home I have a Dewalt drill. It's a pretty good tool quality wise. This kit came with a charger and 2 batteries. They are doing very good with getting maximum torque out of modern cordless tools. Still, I agree that corded or air tools last a long time if cared for. In my line of work, I am often working inside over the road trailers and cordless tools are really handy. Also, you can work away from electricity. Some of the newer cordless impact wrenches can put out 400 ft/lbs of torque and cheap ones now can put out 300.

For cordless tools, look for lithium ion batteries. They hold a lot of power and can be recharged hundreds of times. The older Ni-Cad batteries don't last long and sometimes, even with 2 batteries, I run out of usable power on the second battery before the first one is finished charging. You always need multiple batteries. Cordless impact wrenches work much better than drills just by the nature of the tool. While I have cordless drills, I also have power drills. I have passed on any electric or cordless electric lawn mowers. Give me gas for that job. However, cordless weed whackers are great.

Being a mechanic for trucking fleets for so many years, I have accumulated a ton of tools. There are advantages and disadvantages for all of the available types of power tools. I have small drills, big drills, right angle drills, hammer drills, all in corded, cordless and also pneumatic. They all are superior for certain jobs and inferior for others. As a professional, it's necessary to have this stuff. For a homeowner, a high quality standard sized drill with a 1/2 inch chuck should be able to handle most chores. The chuck is important. Cheap drills come with crappy chucks. If you do need a big drill or hammer drill, rent one from you local hardware store.
Great advice and thank you very much. You've given me the info that I need to be able to make an informed decision.

Much appreciated.

Les
04-22-2020, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
For cordless tools, look for lithium ion batteries.
Absolutely.
They have a much slower self discharge rate so for a tool that's used infrequently, as mine are, there's a much greater chance that it will work when you need it without first having to put the battery on the charger.
04-30-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For a long time I bought whatever I wanted.
A few decades on, I'm wondering why I bought so much cr@p, and drug it halfway around the world on multiple moves.

04-30-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
A few decades on, I'm wondering why I bought so much cr@p, and drug it halfway around the world on multiple moves.
Hahahaha.
I feel your pain. I like old stuff and my wife just rolls her eyes as why anyone (that would be me) would want to drag a 1938 General Electric refrigerator and a reasonable collection of 1930's HMV radios halfway around the world.
04-30-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The worst part is when they tell you how much it weighs each time, and you can calculate the annual accumulation rate.

I just bought this, which is an important lesson in buying tools. Buy quality items but make sure you get a good warranty.

04-30-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I cobbled together my WFH Office out of disused small tables and desk lamps pulled from the storage room.

05-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of wants and needs.... I like both of these, but my wife just frowns and shakes her head.

ECM Technika V Profi PID Espresso Coffee Machine - Espresso Road - Coffee Machines

BEZZERA Mitica PID e61 Lever 2.0 litre Rotary Pump Tank and/or Plumbed - ESPRESSO MACHINE COMPANY

I thought I have been a great help doing my research and narrowing it down to one of these two models.
05-03-2020, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have an absolute life or death need for the latest model Corvette. I could even pay cash for one. Sadly my wife does not find that a reasonable way to spend our retirement funds. When we went to purchase out first house we drove by a Chevrolet dealer with a new Corvette for sale out front. I tried to divert those funds but was not successful then either. Something about not being able to live in a Corvette.

We must stimulate the economy and this would be a big help to the GNP. The more I think about it I have a patriotic duty to purchase that Corvette. Our country depends upon it.

Should I invoke the "obey" clause she took as part of her wedding vows over 43 years ago? Has any husband here ever successfully invoked the "obey" clause?
05-03-2020, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgiveness trumps permission.
05-03-2020, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I thought I have been a great help doing my research and narrowing it down to one of these two models.
Perhaps you need to develop a solid business case for selling espressos from your kitchen window. I'd suggest that you make a Powerpoint pitch. Rehearse well.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Has any husband here ever successfully invoked the "obey" clause?
I don't think that's ever been achieved in modern times. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes. Is it possible to do the "shelter in place" thing in a doghouse?

- Craig
05-03-2020, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Should I invoke the "obey" clause she took as part of her wedding vows over 43 years ago? Has any husband here ever successfully invoked the "obey" clause?
You are an uncommonly brave man. My advice is to not invoke the 'obey clause' ...as you may find afterwards, discretion would of been the better part of valor.

BTW, I came close to buying a '62 Corvette, many years ago . I didn't have to deal with the conundrum you find yourself in.

The secret....buy one before you get married. That's how I successfully got my vintage Leica.
05-03-2020, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The secret....buy one before you get married. That's how I successfully got my vintage Leica.
I did something like that.

My MGB became part of the down payment on our first house
05-03-2020, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting married saved me from ever having to decide what color Corvette to buy...

Chris
05-03-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Sold my motorbike to buy the first Mrs B an engagement ring,wish I’d kept the bike!