Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
More recently, after the attack on the buildings in New York in 2001, and the invention of "homeland insecurity", we were advised to "be prepared" in great detail - they published booklets about what to have on hand, how to pack a "bug out bag" and such.

Reminds me of when I was a kid in elementary school being taught to squeeze up under one's desk or table in order to survive a nuclear attack (and I was ten miles from the Capitol at the time, ground zero). Those humans are so funny! You just have to laugh.
I know how you felt.I grew up in rural Suffolk UK but we were less than 10 miles from RAF Bentwaters which was,at the time,home to USAF 81st Tactical Fighter Wing.There were several other USAF facilities spread around the region and if the balloon went up we knew the outcome would be a nuclear wasteland.

05-14-2020, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Reminds me of when I was a kid in elementary school being taught to squeeze up under one's desk or table in order to survive a nuclear attack (and I was ten miles from the Capitol at the time, ground zero). Those humans are so funny! You just have to laugh.
There's that joke: "In case of a nuclear attack, cover yourself with a white sheet and orderly go towards the cemetery"
05-14-2020, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
The lesson is not to prep but vote for governments that will prep and help you out when there is a problem.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "
Ronald Reagan
05-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "
Ronald Reagan
Of course Reagan would say that .

05-15-2020, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Ronald Reagan
I think Reagan was probably paraphrasing H D Thoreau

“If I knew for certain that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good,I should run for my life”

A quote I first came across in Stephen Wright’s “Meditations in Green” about US exploits in Vietnam!
05-15-2020, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #51
Unregistered User

"Why do you hate me? I've never helped you!" -- Chinese restaurant fortune cookie

"God save me from people who want to help me!" -- Robert Lee Roosevelt
05-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #52
PDL
Pentaxian

Speaking of "The Bomb" - talk a look here and "adjust" your expectations on what would happen if one dropped on your area. Just how "prepped" are you?
NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein
Note: I live in the greater Puget Sound area, after the USSR disbanded, Yeltsin came to visit and sort of let the cat out of the bag. He said the Puget Sound region had "about" 20 warheads targeted on the area.

Obvious Targets:

Boeing - five campuses maybe six (Seattle, Renton, Everett, Kent, Auburn - maybe Bellevue (if the computer center is still there).
Navy - Bremerton (repair), Everett (aircraft carrier support group), Whidbey (Air station - F-18G -Growlers), Bangor (Attack/Boomers - submarines).
Tacoma area - JBLM (Used to be Fort Lewis and McCord AFB)
Seattle water front.
Tacoma water front.
Railroads through the passes.
Interstate Highways through the passes (I90 and I5).
Maybe - University of Washington (research) and hitting the University would take out the floating bridges.

Rough count - 16 - add in four more to shake the rubble.

Now, take this and put the North Korea bomb in the mix and see what could happen in a short period of time.
North Korea to Seattle 8,288 Km - 5,150 Miles which is closer than LA at 9,579 Km - 5,952 Miles. We are closer - we win!