Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stupid question. Looking for stupid answer.

Heck I'll even take serious answers.

I know that this is a Pentax forum. but what is it so wrong to say the names Canon and Nikon. I see post after post with people censoring those words. Will the sky fall? Will our computers explode? Are we afraid that out Pentax products my think that we are cheating one them and get jealous? Did I miss where is says someplace that as a condition of forum membership that we not say/type those words? It's a fact. Those other cameras are out there. Am I weird for not feeling dirty when I type Canon or Nikon?

Now, to be fair I've never seen any post where someone was called out or punched in a kidney for typing those words.

Have fun with this, or not. Your choice.

10-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no idea. Perhaps to prevent search engines from picking up on the post? But that serves no purpose. It would only be good if canikon people browsed this forum and learned that there's a (better, of course(!)) world outside of theirs!
10-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's because they are 2 of the words the Knight Who Say Nee! cannot bear to hear!

You have no idea how much pain you caused them with your post!

Pat
10-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
It's because they are 2 of the words the Knight Who Say Nee! cannot bear to hear!

You have no idea how much pain you caused them with your post!

Pat
ROFLM*O <self-edited>

It's i suppose the civil way to identify them unlike how Pentax is described on some other forums i've read

10-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

^ You mean like how Ken Rockwell tests and brands the best cameras with Nikon, and the second best are Canon. Everything else isn't up to Ken's standards...that's how Pentax was created?
11-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

what Ole said.
11-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Canon make great cameras!
Nikon make great cameras!
Pentax make great cameras!
Olympus make great cameras!
Sony I'm not so convinced about, but I'm sure their cameras good in some way too!
Leica grasp onto an outdated system but their cameras are great!

There you go. I've told you my honest opinion.

Matter of choice much?

11-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Those other cameras are out there. Am I weird for not feeling dirty when I type Canon or Nikon?
Nope. Brand loyalty that runs to the exclusion of other brands is a form of self-imposed ignorance. I don't know how anyone can say Brand A is better than B or C if they have never really used one. Yet it happens all the time. How do you know? "I just do." or worse "The undernagomometer has kerflooie kerplopoflops per frame... it MUST be better!"

Oh, OK. Must be true for me too. (Not!)

I collect old cameras. I love my old Pentaxes and use them quite a lot. But I also have a collection of Nikon F cameras. I use them and their (very nice) glass as well. It actually gives me a platform from which to confirm that the old Takumar glass truly is world-class. It also gives me a platform from which to understand well why Nikon was embraced early on as a professional standard. They both have their wonderful points and I just love using all of them.

I suspect that people who engage in feeling superior based upon their camera equipment are quite the opposite. I am guessing, that is, that they are getting all they need WITHOUT using their equipment. As for me, I'll let others argue the merits and I'll use the camera that best suits the task, or better yet use the camera I happen to have and do the best possible job I can with the tool in hand.

woof!
11-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I suspect that people who engage in feeling superior based upon their camera equipment are quite the opposite. I am guessing, that is, that they are getting all they need WITHOUT using their equipment. As for me, I'll let others argue the merits and I'll use the camera that best suits the task, or better yet use the camera I happen to have and do the best possible job I can with the tool in hand.
Just thought this exceptionally astute observation deserves a loud "hear, hear".
11-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteQuote:
It also gives me a platform from which to understand well why Nikon was embraced early on as a professional standard.
I had the same realization the first time I held a Nikon F Photomic T. that damn camera oozes proffesionalism in every way possible. brilliantly rugged piece of engineering, despite the fact that the add on lightmeter looks horribly goofy and destroys the lines of the camera. brilliant though...
11-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
mfc

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Canon make great cameras!
Nikon make great cameras!
Pentax make great cameras!
Olympus make great cameras!
Sony I'm not so convinced about, but I'm sure their cameras good in some way too!
Leica grasp onto an outdated system but their cameras are great!

There you go. I've told you my honest opinion.

Matter of choice much?
they dont like those words cause theve chosen pentax
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Heck I'll even take serious answers.

I know that this is a Pentax forum. but what is it so wrong to say the names Canon and Nikon. I see post after post with people censoring those words. Will the sky fall? Will our computers explode? Are we afraid that out Pentax products my think that we are cheating one them and get jealous? Did I miss where is says someplace that as a condition of forum membership that we not say/type those words? It's a fact. Those other cameras are out there. Am I weird for not feeling dirty when I type Canon or Nikon?

Now, to be fair I've never seen any post where someone was called out or punched in a kidney for typing those words.

Have fun with this, or not. Your choice.
It is an old joke and/or we don't want to legitimize them by mentioning their name.
11-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beats me. I have Canon printers and a Canon digital camcorder and I am happy with them. I have never owned a Canon SLR so I can't really comment. I needed a weather sealed camera and the Canon and Nikon models cost twice as much. I am also very happy with my K10D as I have been with Pentax film cameras. I had a Nikon film SLR that broke a lot so that left a bad taste in my mouth for Nikon. Many pros use Nikon and i'm sure if they were unreliable they would not use them so my experience was probably a fluke. Just about every DSLR out there is quite capable. The PHOTOGRAPHER takes the picture. If he/she uses the camera right it will be a good picture.
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hey! HEY!!!

He asked for STUPID answers! I don't see stupid answers up there... come on folks, lets get stupid here!

Pat
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Hey! HEY!!!

He asked for STUPID answers! I don't see stupid answers up there... come on folks, lets get stupid here!

Pat
I did ask for both, but I really did expect more sarcasm and smart *** comments from this bunch!