Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2020, 04:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Zeiss Victory Binoculars

So, stuck at home, with nothing better to do (today anyway) . . . why not review new binoculars!

I’ve kept a pair of binoculars on hand for the last 45 years, from Bushnell and other mid to full size bins to $100 pocket Nikons. Living where lots of birds frequent inspired me a few years ago to upgrade to midsized Nikon Monarch 7 bins for myself, and Zeiss Terra Pocket binoculars for my wife. The mid-sized Monarchs were more comfortable to use, but I found myself often grabbing the Zeiss binoculars because of how easy it was to carry them. Another plus for the Zeiss was being slightly brighter and more contrasty than the Monarchs. Both binoculars are great, however.

The biggest problem I had with the Terras was the narrow field of view (357ft at 1000yds vs 420ft for the Monarchs); it felt like looking down a tube at times. Also, the way the Zeiss fit my eye sockets was less comfortable than the Monarchs whose eye cups were larger and immediately situated themselves for a full view, whereas the Terras require more careful positioning to avoid blacking out one’s view. Lastly, the location of the Zeiss focusing knob was awkward because my finger had to bend to use it (the knob was stiff too), which contributed to the Zeiss not feeling all that secure in my somewhat large hands.

When I decided to upgrade again, and after much research, the choice came down to Nikon and Zeiss once more, this time between the new Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 and the Zeiss Victory 8x25 pocket binoculars (wife wanted to keep her Terra bins). I bought both to try, the Monarch HG bins came first, and all I could say was “wow.” They had an even bigger FOV (430@1000yds), were incredibly comfortable in the hands, and their clarity made me feel I was right at the spot I was looking. Can’t recommend them enough.

However, when the Zeiss Victory bins came a few days later I was in for another “wow” moment. They’d improved their FOV to 390yds (remarkable for pocket binoculars)—just enough to make me feel like I wasn’t missing much using them instead of the HG’s impressive 430yds. Zeiss brightness and contrast were clearly upped from the Terras, but nearly as extraordinary as their improved FOV was how much more comfortably they fit in the hand than the Terras, or any pocket binoculars I’ve ever used. Zeiss has moved the focus knob to the left so that one’s finger can fully extend, and that in turn helps users grip the bins better overall (see pic), plus the focus knob is really easy to turn—all work together to make for true one-handed use without fatigue. The icing on the cake is how the new single hinge design allows for super compact folding.

So I returned the Monarch HGs and kept the Zeiss Victory pocket bins. If I had more discretionary income I’d definitely keep them both, but for those who must live with one pair and prefer compactness, the Victory’s great FOV, clarity and ease of use (not to mention all the high-end features you’d expect from the top Zeiss compact despite the eye cups, like all compact bins, still requiring careful placement) make the Victory binoculars an easy choice.

Specs

Exit Pupil Diameter - 3.1mm (0.12")
Twilight Factor - 14.1
Field of view at 1.000 yds - 390' (118.87m)
Apparent Field of View - 52 deg
Close Focus in FT - 6.2' (1.89m)
Diopter Adjustment Range - +3/-3 dpt
Exit Pupil Distance - 16.5mm (0.65")
Pupil Distance - 35 - 72mm (1.38 - 2.83")
Lens Type - FL
PrismSystem - Schmidt-Pechan
LotuTec /Nitrogen filling - Yes/Yes
Water Resistance - 100 mbar
Operating Temperature - 4 to +145 deg. F (-16 to 63 deg. C)
Length - 4.4" (11.18cm)
Interpupillary Distance Width - 4.5" (11.43cm)
Weight - 10.9 oz (309.01g)

Last edited by les3547; 05-26-2020 at 04:37 PM.
05-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You left out the most important part. $$$$? or just $$$? That name brand generally is not to inexpensive.
05-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You left out the most important part. $$$$? or just $$$? That name brand generally is not to inexpensive.
If I'm not mistaken, they're the Zeiss Victory 8x25 binoculars, which could be yours for the low price of $819.99:

ZEISS 8x25 Victory Pocket Binocular 522038-9901-000 B&H Photo
05-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If I'm not mistaken, they're the Zeiss Victory 8x25 binoculars, which could be yours for the low price of $819.99:

Ouch! Or maybe OUCH!!!! That is a fairly pricy set of binos! I suspect the Monarchs were not much cheaper if the choice was this easy though.

05-26-2020, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With binoculars brightness is the key to non-fatigued viewing.
Among brands I have tried out the German brands are superior in this respect.
FWIW there are some premium-priced Japanese brands as well.

I got lucky and got a good deal from Jon Goodman on a nice use Leitz Trinovid model.

Chris
05-26-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Ouch! Or maybe OUCH!!!! That is a fairly pricy set of binos! I suspect the Monarchs were not much cheaper if the choice was this easy though.
The Monarch HG bins were indeed more expensive, especially after I found an "open" box" of the Zeiss Victorys on Ebay for $673 (I think there is yet another pair there).

---------- Post added 05-26-20 at 07:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

Less than a lot of lenses however!

---------- Post added 05-26-20 at 07:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
With binoculars brightness is the key to non-fatigued viewing.
Among brands I have tried out the German brands are superior in this respect.
FWIW there are some premium-priced Japanese brands as well.

I got lucky and got a good deal from Jon Goodman on a nice use Leitz Trinovid model.

Chris
I would just add that if you'd never tried the Zeiss you would be very impressed by the new Monarch HG bins. They lost the brightness contest by a very, very small amount, although contrast difference was a bit more noticeable between the two. The Monarchs gave a sort of soft, comforting image yet with lots of detail that made them really enjoyable (and relatively compact too). I wish I could afford both binoculars.

Last edited by les3547; 05-26-2020 at 07:17 PM.
05-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Zeiss glass is very good though. I have one piece of Zeiss equipment...a Super Ikonta B medium format from the '40's with a Carl Zeiss lens. Binocs I have two, a 36 year old Pentax...still excellent and a less ancient Bushnell, not as excellent.

A few years ago I was thinking of getting new Binocs and I looked at the Nikon Monarch, as recommended by a birder friend. I didn't get, but if I ever do get another, I would look seriously at the Nikon Monarch binocs.

I'm sure the Zeiss are wonderful, but they are out of my budget and there's nothing quite like that little Zeiss blue logo...very sharp looking.

05-26-2020, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Zeiss glass is very good though. I have one piece of Zeiss equipment...a Super Ikonta B medium format from the '40's with a Carl Zeiss lens. Binocs I have two, a 36 year old Pentax...still excellent and a less ancient Bushnell, not as excellent.

A few years ago I was thinking of getting new Binocs and I looked at the Nikon Monarch, as recommended by a birder friend. I didn't get, but if I ever do get another, I would look seriously at the Nikon Monarch binocs.

I'm sure the Zeiss are wonderful, but they are out of my budget and there's nothing quite like that little Zeiss blue logo...very sharp looking.
Actually, I liked the Monarch's rendering a little better than Zeiss because it gives you high resolution with a warmer feel (I have the same taste in lenses). If I didn't have more use for compacts I'd take the Monarch bins which are pretty compact anyway (I'm talking about the Monarch 7 HG, not the Monarch 7 ATB). The HGs fit the face and hands really well, much better than any compact.

There was one other thing I meant to compliment but forgot, which is how well both the Victory and the HG bins separated foreground objects from the background and so did a superb job of creating a 3D effect. The Monarchs were better at it (possibly due to its wider FOV) but both did it noticeably better than the older Monarchs and Zeiss Terra.
05-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Actually, I liked the Monarch's rendering a little better than Zeiss because it gives you high resolution with a warmer feel (I have the same taste in lenses). If I didn't have more use for compacts I'd take the Monarch bins which are pretty compact anyway (I'm talking about the Monarch 7 HG, not the Monarch 7 ATB). The HGs fit the face and hands really well, much better than any compact.

There was one other thing I meant to compliment but forgot, which is how well both the Victory and the HG bins separated foreground objects from the background and so did a superb job of creating a 3D effect. The Monarchs were better at it (possibly due to its wider FOV) but both did it noticeably better than the older Monarchs and Zeiss Terra.

Ever since I had my Bushnell binocs I realized the importance of having good binoculars ...as they a poor example can be very fatiguing to use for any period of time. I'm not a birder, or an individual that uses binocular for long periods of time, but if I was, unquestionably I would look at getting top notch binoculars.

You post sparked an interest and I checked out a Canadian supplier of fine binoculars, monocular, etc. This small Zeiss monocular has quite an appeal for me.

http://media.cameracanada.com/BC/productimage/Zeiss/Zeiss_1025_BDST.jpg

Features
The Zeiss 10x25 B Design Selection Monocular is Zeiss' biggest, brightest monocular magnifies your view 10 times. This compact 10x Zeiss pocket spotting scope is a smart option whether the task is orienting yourself to distant landmarks, or simple close-up viewing. Zeiss 10x25mm B Design Selection Monoculars weigh just 3.1 oz., and comes with a handy lanyard.
Features:
•Zeiss monoculars come with lanyard strap
•Backed by our 1 year warranty
Additional Specifications:

•Brightness: 6.25
•Twilight rating: 15.81
What's in the Box:

•Zeiss 10x25 B Design Selection Monocular
05-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This small Zeiss monocular has quite an appeal for me
I own the Zeiss T*8X20 Model and I find it very useful and compact, though difficult to focus one-handed as the rear eyepiece rotates and keeping a grip on the whole thing while focusing is tricky.

Optically it is decent for an achromat, the plastic construction is a bit disappointing considering the price point.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.
05-27-2020, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While waiting on line at the CVS pharmacy counter last week I noticed they sell Zeiss lens cleaning cloths.
These might be affordable, but I didn't buy them; I didn't want to carry another 2-foot long cash register receipt!

Chris
05-28-2020, 02:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity, Pentax binoculars were not interesting?
05-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Just out of curiosity, Pentax binoculars were not interesting?
My full-size Pentax PCF binoculars were sent once again for repair today.
Precision Camera also handles the warranty repairs for Pentax sports optics.

Precision Camera repaired them less than one year ago for the same problem.
Not only that, but when my wife sent them back they were returned unrepaired.

This is at least the third time they failed. Next time they will be put in the bin.
I am not impressed with Pentax full-sized binoculars nor with Precision Camera.

Chris
05-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My full-size Pentax PCF binoculars were sent once again for repair today.
Precision Camera also handles the warranty repairs for Pentax sports optics.

Precision Camera repaired them less than one year ago for the same problem.
Not only that, but when my wife sent them back they were returned unrepaired.

This is at least the third time they failed. Next time they will be put in the bin.
I am not impressed with Pentax full-sized binoculars nor with Precision Camera.

Chris
Sorry to hear about your problems. A couple of years ago I got a pair of Pentax 10 x 43 Z-Series ZD ED Binoculars. Very happy with them. Great glass. B&H had a ridiculous sale on them. Back in 1991 I got my wife a pair of Pentax 10 x 23 UCF III binoculars. They are still going strong. Of course she babies everything and still keeps them in their original box.

06-01-2020, 02:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have Pentax Papilio and another more compact model which have not failed.
But if I were to buy another full-size binocular it would definitely not be Pentax.

I recall a NPS Ranger at Jamaica Bay let us try out her Minox binoculars.
They were brighter than my Trinovids yet lighter and more compact.
Both Leitz and Minox binoculars are manufactured in Wetzlar Germany.

Chris