Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 144 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not to worry, Bill. You're not even in the running.
That make a refreshing change for me.

06-27-2020, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That make a refreshing change for me.
Stay out of jail Bill, I need my curmudgeon lessons! And you are going to let me play with the new 85 if I ever make it up there!
06-27-2020, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's a chicken and egg scenario, isn't it? It doesn't do much positive for our perception of DPR that they allow the sort of brand-bashing activity in question... so the negative perception is equally strong on both sides of the argument. It would be great if all of us here could collectively turn the other cheek, but - realistically - that's never going to happen. The divide is too wide and well-established... and there'll always be some folks who - understandably, in my view - aren't going to take what they perceive to be unfair criticism of Pentax lying down. For me, people can bash the brand and/or us, its users, all they like elsewhere. So long as they don't do it here in our brand-dedicated club house, that's fine... and if they should, we have forum rules and an effective moderating function to address that

I think the issue is it almost becomes a cancel-culture movement here of going after anything and everything perceived as a slight to the Pentax brand. And that is what DPR staff seem to pick on. But there's actually a fair amount of support for Pentax too if you go looking for the positive instead of scouring for the negative there. For instance, there is a lot of support for the new 85mm in the comments.

I think bashing others here from other sites should also be considered too for the 'clubhouse.' These threads about negative people serve no good purpose. It is just a swamp of ....negativity and it gives these dudes a larger voice with the attention.

Last edited by mee; 06-27-2020 at 07:58 PM.
06-27-2020, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably in the micro club. Micro genitals.

06-27-2020, 09:26 PM - 6 Likes   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A forum is only as positive as its users are, and we try to encourage that here. We too have had our fair share of trolls, but that's why we have a team that does the best to divert the negativity.
06-27-2020, 09:35 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The levels of civility and social restraint on the DPReview forums mirrors the depth of the knowledge base and accuracy of advice over there. Both are low, but not dead bottom. If one wants truly vicious abuse, there are some Pentax-centric sites that are much worse were trolling is the norm and public humiliation a form of sport.

Steve
06-27-2020, 10:55 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think the issue is it almost becomes a cancel-culture movement here of going after anything and everything perceived as a slight to the Pentax brand. And that is what DPR staff seem to pick on. But there's actually a fair amount of support for Pentax too if you go looking for the positive instead of scouring for the negative there. For instance, there is a lot of support for the new 85mm in the comments

I think bashing others here from other sites should also be considered too for the 'clubhouse.' These threads about negative people serve no good purpose. It is just a swamp of ....negativity and it gives these dudes a larger voice with the attention.
The comments on the 85mm post are the most balanced I’ve seen there is years. So far I haven’t seen the off-hand comment that “all ten potential buyers of the 85 are here defending it.”

Aside from the inconsistency, editorial bias against mirrors, unprofessional testing protocol and capricious scoring I agree, DPR doesn’t get a fair shale from Pentax users.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-27-2020 at 11:06 PM.
06-27-2020, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the issue is it almost becomes a cancel-culture movement here of going after anything and everything perceived as a slight to the Pentax brand. And that is what DPR staff seem to pick on. But there's actually a fair amount of support for Pentax too if you go looking for the positive instead of scouring for the negative there. For instance, there is a lot of support for the new 85mm in the comments.

My own understanding of "cancel culture" is that it typically manifests as a co-ordinated, militant, mob-like, momentum-gathering movement that actively hounds and humiliates an individual or group into conformity, acquiescence and/or silence. Here, though, the overwhelming response to the OP's reasonable question and frustration has been pretty consistent advice to simply ignore the poster over at DPR... No angry mob bearing flaming torches and baying for blood, no encouragement to hound and humiliate but - instead - practical advice leaning strongly toward passivity... born, alas, of experience and resignation. Yes, a majority view that DPR is generally negative towards Pentax is also evident - but, whilst I agree that there's some support for the brand over there if you look for it, the over-arching reputation with Pentaxians is hard-won. You don't have to scour the site to find the negativity Not a problem for me, as I don't frequent the place. I use and (mostly, with some caution) appreciate the studio scene comparison tool, but that's about it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-28-2020 at 06:16 AM.
06-27-2020, 10:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Apologies, I started the thread trying to understand the motivation of that user because to my mind his fanaticism must have something to do with a personal negative experience with the brand I love. And I wanted to put it in a perspective with my experience so I was able to communicate with him instead of the endless fighting there. Yes, I am also frustrated from negativity, but I am one of those people who prefer constructive engagement over entrenchment. Basically, I am a naive believer that every grudge can be resolved by communication rather than ignorance.

PS: Instagram too had a very robust action against negativity, all they want to see is a shiny perfect happy influencer world. So much so that, for some time, people even got blocked for saying that somebody hacked their account. And then they got blocked or deactivated because they complained that they were blocked. I am full aware that some users' negativity totally spoils the experience (hence this thread), but user blocking may actually create more enemies than a negative discussion. Ignore function is, in my opinion better.

Then again, we live in a world where social media serve us only the stuff we like and this, while useful and comfortable, sews divides in society, growth of extremism and conspiracies which go unchecked, because people who opose don't even see them.

Last edited by davidsladek; 06-28-2020 at 12:12 AM.
06-27-2020, 11:32 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd second that ^ ^ - I always try to be polite on DPR and never go in for brand-bashing - not least because it's insulting to those who use that brand - but the subject of this thread is unusual in his absolute refusal to say anything good about Ricoh Pentax and his insistence on souring every thread where the brand names come up with his long and persistent negative comments. He is exceptional in that, though I and others still usually manage to be polite in disagreeing with him, though he does make it difficult..Why they permit him to continue is another matter, but I have kown one reference to 'f*nboys* ' to be deleted, so some rules apply.

PS - I do think that the views he expresses need to be countered with facts, though, Falsehoods spread quickly through the ignorant (in the literal, not the insuting sense) - and not many people know much about Pentax these days.

Last edited by ffking; 06-28-2020 at 02:12 AM.
06-28-2020, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Closed Account

The dynamic is the same on all social media of which forums are part. As a user you can't change it directly, except to report the behaviour. Then if the owner/siteadmin doesn't want that kind of behaviour and has a decent framework set up for the mods to act with, it will be corrected and dealt with, if not it won't.

I've found the dynamic of most photography forums to be about the same. There are a lot of people invested in their particular gear and way of doing things and disagreements abound and most people dislike, to a larger or smaller degree, their own choices being questioned. The same dynamic exists here, however it's a single make forum, so much less so and the admin and mod team seem to have a handle on things and a clear focus. This currently remains the only forum I'm now a member of and that's because of the depth of reviews and knowledge on here. I don't pay attention to the disagreements, I've been a mod on a forum and recognise the patterns immediately, hence largely giving up on forums and especially giving up on willy waving contests.
06-28-2020, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A forum is only as positive as its users are, and we try to encourage that here. We too have had our fair share of trolls, but that's why we have a team that does the best to divert the negativity.
This ^^^

That's the main difference between here and other places. Ill intended people will always try to loudly impose their view, the only question is, are they allowed to?
I cannot but think dptroll's presence there is a semi-official policy, as in: they clearly allow it. Why... they might not care, they might like the added traffic, who knows. Also, their moderation policy is "don't get upset at trolls, or else!". The guys who should watch over everything are part of the problem.
06-28-2020, 05:53 AM - 7 Likes   #43
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
and especially giving up on willy waving contests.
Me too, I only managed 5th place in the last one I entered................................................................................
06-28-2020, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Exactly.

Time we all pick up our Pentax gear and make great images that speak volumes about its greatness, and show those Negative Nellies how wrong they are, eh?
06-28-2020, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's a risk that dpreview will become for some people what Pentax is for dpthoughts. It might be worth collectively keeping it in check. The green fence myth for instance. That shot shows strong loca, dismissing or not seeing it is a pretty bad look. Sigma etc may be worse but thats another discussion that would be best served with proof.
Closed Thread