Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 144 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 07:04 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The other day in a Facebook group there was a post asserting PentaxForums is a nasty place. One of the commenters said PentaxForums was as bad as DPReview...

My reply was that until a user builds an entire web forum because they were banned from PentaxForums it is not as bad as DPReview...

06-27-2020, 07:17 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
BTW he is likely an active member of this forum (different username). Probably a guy from western Hamburg, Germany.
Interesting. I was thinking perhaps a former member from Netherlands who was once sponsored by Pentax.
06-27-2020, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had a number of 'conversations' with dptroll - I Ithink that if he were paid to do what he does he'd have been asked to tone it down a bit by now because he's so obsessive (even seeking out Pentax references on non-Pentax threads) that most people ignore him.To me he seems like somebody with a real grievance (incidentally, his profile say's he's based in Switzerland, IIRC) and he did reply to me once that it was Pentax users he really hated, so maybe somebody with a fragile ego who got short shrift here once? who knows?

Last edited by ffking; 06-27-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: oops
06-27-2020, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is what I do. The moment I read anyone's post with a highly polarized view of the world on any forum, I just block them and I never read their posts again. Makes life very peaceful.

06-27-2020, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I've had a number of 'conversations' with dptroll - I Ithink that if he were apud to do what he does he'd have been asked to tone it down a bit by now because he's so obsessive (even seeking out Pentax references on non-Pentax threads) that most people ignore him.To me he seems like somebody with a real grievance (incidentally, his profile say's he's based in Switzerland, IIRC) and he did reply to me once tat it was Pentax users he really hated, so maybe somebody with a fragile ego who go short shrift here once? who knows?
The description sounds really familiar.
Are you sure his profile wasn't Netherlands?

EDIT: I just realized that I need to clarify something. The person from Netherlands I've referred to is not a current member of the forums.
He is one who was banned about 9 months back for constant brand bashing and trolling.
(Hint: He was, at one time, sponsored by Pentax and liked to take action sports shots, the majority of which were from very, um, uh, let's just say "unusual" perspectives.)

Last edited by Parallax; 06-27-2020 at 02:49 PM.
06-27-2020, 09:00 AM - 7 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There are some good suggestions as to the individual's motives already. Additionally, it could be someone who had a bad experience with Pentax - equipment failure and/or poor service, or his/her own inability to get good results with Pentax gear. Or it could even be a disgruntled ex- (or existing) PentaxForums user... perhaps someone who was received poorly here, or banned for persistent bad behaviour. It's amazing how much some folks can lose their hold on perspective and carry a grudge for a whole variety of really rather inconsequential reasons. Whatever their background, the negativity in their posts is usually intended to cause a stir, rile others and invite argument. You'll never convince them to become more positive - they feed off the reactions they're getting. Arguing against their rantings with facts and logic won't work. The only reasonable option is to ignore them...
06-27-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I can't think of anyone here who could be this dptroll. Not even the Netherland guy.
That's because I can't think even those guys would post literally hundreds of anti-Pentax comments.

What is amazing, though, is that he's well tolerated there, left to continue what he's doing despite breaking the rule against bashing literally hundreds of times.
While my posts are censored, and I don't mean those who would break a rule... yeah, a "mod" trying to drive me away, while encouraging trolling.

P.S. I know what literally means. If someone tells me "I'm literally on fire" I'll run to the fire extinguisher, or getting a wet blanket...

06-27-2020, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They are anti-Pentax. Years ago they actually banned Benjikan for saying he chose Pentax over Canon. They claimed he was paid Pentax plant. They have along history of promoting anti-Pentax rhetoric and their writers have engaged in it themselves.

So essentially you're asking why a Leopard doesn't change it's spots.
That was 13 YEARS ago and AFAIK there was no direct reason provided by the mods. Phil Askey (long thread over there are complaining at him directly) hasn't been associated with DPR for at least a decade now.

I have seen some subtle (bad/unfair) jokes in DPR reviews, but I think it is because they know the Pentaxian stereotype of being really reactive and sensitive. Forming a virtual mob in this thread to get after someone on another forum isn't really doing much positive for the perception.

Just ignore the jokers and don't give them a platform.
06-27-2020, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There are some good suggestions as to the individual's motives already.
This is a hint:

QuoteQuote:
My personal experience backs that up.
The times where Pentax had an advantage in value-for-money were, when I decided to enter Pentax (2008 with the K20D).
Today, Pentax is too expensive. ...
But more importantly, all Pentax lenses are overpriced...
Now compare that to the 5 Pentax lenses he owned. The most expensive lenses were around 300 EUR new I think. The lowliest of the low (not saying you can't make nice images with cheap lenses). For his Nikon he went for a 18-300.

Some people are like you can't get it, you begin to hate it and turn into an armchair expert on the net.

We probably all should start bashing the deficiencies of Lamborghini cars, experts that we are.
06-27-2020, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
This is a hint:

Now compare that to the 5 Pentax lenses he owned. The most expensive lenses were around 300 EUR new I think. The lowliest of the low (not saying you can't make nice images with cheap lenses). For his Nikon he went for a 18-300.

Some people are like you can't get it, you begin to hate it and turn into an armchair expert on the net.

We probably all should start bashing the deficiencies of Lamborghini cars, experts that we are.
I touched a Lamborghini at a car show one day. I didn't actually bash it.
06-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
But if you don't go there and don't debunk his intentions, all that people would read in the comments is dpthoughts hate talk.. Ricoh would seem like utter amateurs who cannot even build a tent and all their products either don't work or are made by others. I just don't understand why mods there do nothing about it
Not all forums try to be even-handed and fair; tribal warfare can generate more clicks and advertisers need fed or they go elsewhere. Leave the trolls to eat themselves.
06-27-2020, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I have seen some subtle (bad/unfair) jokes in DPR reviews, but I think it is because they know the Pentaxian stereotype of being really reactive and sensitive. Forming a virtual mob in this thread to get after someone on another forum isn't really doing much positive for the perception.
It's a chicken and egg scenario, isn't it? It doesn't do much positive for our perception of DPR that they allow the sort of brand-bashing activity in question... so the negative perception is equally strong on both sides of the argument. It would be great if all of us here could collectively turn the other cheek, but - realistically - that's never going to happen. The divide is too wide and well-established... and there'll always be some folks who - understandably, in my view - aren't going to take what they perceive to be unfair criticism of Pentax lying down. For me, people can bash the brand and/or us, its users, all they like elsewhere. So long as they don't do it here in our brand-dedicated club house, that's fine... and if they should, we have forum rules and an effective moderating function to address that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-27-2020 at 03:50 PM.
06-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So long as they don't do it here in our brand-dedicated club house, that's fine... and if they should, we have forum rules and and an effective moderating function to address that
Right.
Not to put too fine a point on this, but there are a few who, in the not too distant future, are going to become more aware of this (if they haven't already).
06-27-2020, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The other day in a Facebook group there was a post asserting PentaxForums is a nasty place. One of the commenters said PentaxForums was as bad as DPReview...

My reply was that until a user builds an entire web forum because they were banned from PentaxForums it is not as bad as DPReview...
I almost did that a few years ago.

---------- Post added Jun 27th, 2020 at 05:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right.
Not to put too fine a point on this, but there are a few who, in the not too distant future, are going to become more aware of this (if they haven't already).
Ooops.
06-27-2020, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Ooops.
Not to worry, Bill. You're not even in the running.
Closed Thread