Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 144 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2020, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #46
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My own understanding of "cancel culture" is that it typically manifests as a co-ordinated, militant, mob-like, momentum-gathering movement that actively hounds and humiliates an individual or group into conformity, acquiescence and/or silence.
Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. The bitterness underneath all this is obvious. So far this has been an angry outcry against a single man who had negative views on Pentax gear on DPR that has morphed into accusations that DPR having negative views of Pentax that has morphed further into DPR as a whole as being anti-Pentax or having anti-Pentax bias. So it clearly isn't just about one man saying something against the grain of the core defenders of the lady Pentax's honor here.

I like Racer's idea of taking the high road in the future. I hope our Pentax group here come along too instead of trying to defend or excuse bad behavior as a result of others bad behavior. "Living well is the best revenge" -- George Herbert

06-28-2020, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
There's a risk that dpreview will...
There is no risk. People are not morons here and few will tolerate that utterly skillfree tabloid with haters and liars as paid writers.
I bet some less intelligent ones will come to the defense of the honor of lady tabloid in shiny plate armor.
06-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. The bitterness underneath all this is obvious. So far this has been an angry outcry against a single man who had negative views on Pentax gear on DPR that has morphed into accusations that DPR having negative views of Pentax that has morphed further into DPR as a whole as being anti-Pentax or having anti-Pentax bias. So it clearly isn't just about one man saying something against the grain of the core defenders of the lady Pentax's honor here.

I like Racer's idea of taking the high road in the future. I hope our Pentax group here come along too instead of trying to defend or excuse bad behavior as a result of others bad behavior. "Living well is the best revenge" -- George Herbert
All of which is accurate and justified. Nonetheless I don’t need the bile here as well as there so I’ll just be moving along now.
06-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The quality of Mods in Pentax section of DiPstikReview.

This is a joke,2 Nikon users and an Olympus user.

Adjudicating on Pentax?

I won't be taking my Toyota to the Mazda/Subaru workshop for repairs!

06-28-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #50
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Not for the first time, the contrast in our appreciation of a situation is remarkable... We'll have to agree to disagree, as usual

If you see truly see bad behaviour in this thread, I implore you - never go walking through Newcastle-upon-Tyne after the pubs and clubs close on a Friday night. It'd make your head spin more than most, I fear

@davidsladek - I got where you were coming from. Just ignore the troll
06-28-2020, 12:36 PM - 6 Likes   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I think we've given the guy more oxygen than he deserves.
06-28-2020, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Personally, I think we've given the guy more oxygen than he deserves.
As this is an electronic forum it's electrons

06-28-2020, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

That's more than a bit inaccurate.
This is not "a single man who had negative views on Pentax gear on DPR". This is a guy who's bashing Pentax with literally hundreds of anti-Pentax comments (most untrue).
And there's no good explanation why the mods are allowing it to continue, after all their own rule is:
"Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product orcompany. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it."

The only thing I couldn't establish, is if someone would do the same for other brands - would the mods still allow it?
But no Pentaxian is so low.
06-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #54
Pentaxian

The MODS don't know what a Pentax is.
06-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This is not "a single man who had negative views on Pentax gear on DPR". This is a guy who's bashing Pentax with literally hundreds of anti-Pentax comments (most untrue).
And there's no good explanation why the mods are allowing it to continue, after all their own rule is:
"Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product orcompany. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it."

The only thing I couldn't establish, is if someone would do the same for other brands - would the mods still allow it?
I've mentioned a few times over there that friends don't let friends buy Sony cameras.......
06-28-2020, 03:51 PM - 4 Likes   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
...The same dynamic exists here, however it's a single make forum, so much less so and the admin and mod team seem to have a handle on things and a clear focus.
Kudos to the site owners and the mod team for diligence in maintaining decorum. That said, the characterization of this site as narrowly focused is only sort of true. Our most experienced members have a huge experiential knowledge and appreciation of the industry as a whole across multiple brands going back over a half-century. It is also not unusual for our members to be active users of more than one brand of digital camera and/or film gear. It is that breadth and depth that gives this place its strength. A common thread here is that it is fairly hard to find a knowledgeable member who is brand or model-bound to the point of dogmatism.

Steve
06-28-2020, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Me too, I only managed 5th place in the last one I entered................................................................................
Pity...

My trophy shelf is, in simple descriptive terms, ample...

Steve
06-28-2020, 04:05 PM - 4 Likes   #58
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was going to ask if you spend much time polishing your trophy, Steve - but that's a tad off-topic, so I won't
06-28-2020, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pity...

Steve
All shelf, no trophies.
06-28-2020, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #60
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

What? He has a total of 118 posts so he can't possibly have 'literally hundreds of anti-Pentax comments.' Stop exaggerating. This guy is a small squeaky wheel.

Maybe they allow what he says because they don't have such thin skins. Or maybe it would be difficult to police considering how tribal people can be. I see Sony tribe saying negative things about Canon users, Canon saying negative things about Nikon, Nikon users saying negative things about Canon. There isn't some conspiracy to bash Pentax. We should probably all lighten up a little and just accept our favorite products aren't at the center of the universe.

As example, I clicked the first random link on the DPR front page (happened to be for an Olympus m4/3rds body) and went to the comments, then sorted by 'Most popular.' Behold (in the screenshot). Every tribe thinks they're the victim.

Last edited by mee; 06-14-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Closed Thread