Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 04:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who is dpthoughts on dpreview? Why so full of hate?

I have tried to have some discussion with dpthoughts on dpreview but the user is so full of hate against Pentax I just cannot believe it. I have never met anybody as driven by hate against a brand as he is. He is now using a survey here on pentaxforums about failures on K-S2, K-S1, K-500, K-50, K-30 to make a claim that Ricoh/Pentax lack skills to make good product. Quoting him: So now I just learned, that Pentax is not very skilled mechanically in making cameras neither, which is in contrast to the fanb*y mythology around them. I save my above two posts, so I'll have them ready for re-use when I need to comment the expectable press release about Ricoh quitting their Pentax camera business, when every Pentaxian asks in comments "but why" and "I'm so shocked and surpised".

How do you even react to this? I mean there are people who can actually believe him and not buy Pentax because of his endless claims...

06-27-2020, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Who is dpthoughts on dpreview? Why so full of hate?
I have tried to have some discussion with dpthoughts on dpreview but the user is so full of hate against Pentax I just cannot believe it. I have never met anybody as driven by hate against a brand as he is. He is now using a survey here on pentaxforums about failures on K-S2, K-S1, K-500, K-50, K-30 to make a claim that Ricoh/Pentax lack skills to make good product. Quoting him: So now I just learned, that Pentax is not very skilled mechanically in making cameras neither, which is in contrast to the fanb*y mythology around them. I save my above two posts, so I'll have them ready for re-use when I need to comment the expectable press release about Ricoh quitting their Pentax camera business, when every Pentaxian asks in comments "but why" and "I'm so shocked and surpised".

How do you even react to this? I mean there are people who can actually believe him and not buy Pentax because of his endless claims...
I do not go to DPR so I can't comment on the individuals posting, however all individuals are motivated by something and it's usually money or jealousy/envy.

That Oly is now dead and Pentax survives is one recent source jealousy/envy.

If money is the cause then it's negative advertising / industrial sabotage which is actually illegal.
IMO of course.
06-27-2020, 04:36 AM - 3 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't - I stopped reading their website a couple of years ago, mainly because of the seemingly-unPentax bent and have never felt the need to return.....

it really simplifies life if you stop visiting websites that cause you stress...
06-27-2020, 05:16 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try the following de-stressing technique - don’t go there.

06-27-2020, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Try the following de-stressing technique - don’t go there.
But if you don't go there and don't debunk his intentions, all that people would read in the comments is dpthoughts hate talk.. Ricoh would seem like utter amateurs who cannot even build a tent and all their products either don't work or are made by others. I just don't understand why mods there do nothing about it
06-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But if you don't go there and don't debunk his intentions, all that people would read in the comments is dpthoughts hate talk.. Ricoh would seem like utter amateurs who cannot even build a tent and all their products either don't work or are made by others. I just don't understand why mods there do nothing about it
Ignoring it is the best advice. They rely on clickbait like this to generate income, and without fresh input it quickly goes stale such that any reasonable person can see through this sort of stuff.

I am reminded of The Enemy Below where the U boat crew start singing to show their morale is good. Perhaps the loss of Oly advertising is telling here?
06-27-2020, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

They are anti-Pentax. Years ago they actually banned Benjikan for saying he chose Pentax over Canon. They claimed he was paid Pentax plant. They have along history of promoting anti-Pentax rhetoric and their writers have engaged in it themselves.

So essentially you're asking why a Leopard doesn't change it's spots.

06-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I just don't understand why mods there do nothing about it
Why would we do anything about some idiot bent on disparaging Pentax on some other forum? It is outside the scope of our responsibility.

Not only that, who cares? If some moron chooses to get on a soapbox on another forum that tolerates that sort of behavior, who cares?

Should that individual come here and begin such oration, they won’t last long.

As for DP Review, I have never cared for the layout of the forum there, or the biased anti Pentax drivel. As such I have never signed up there, or spent more than a moment viewing discussions there.
06-27-2020, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why would we do anything about some idiot bent on disparaging Pentax on some other forum? It is outside the scope of our responsibility.

Not only that, who cares? If some moron chooses to get on a soapbox on another forum that tolerates that sort of behavior, who cares?

Should that individual come here and begin such oration, they won’t last long.

As for DP Review, I have never cared for the layout of the forum there, or the biased anti Pentax drivel. As such I have never signed up there, or spent more than a moment viewing discussions there.
I wasn't referring to mods here, but on dpreview.
And I only brought it up here because he is now using data from pentaxforums to prove his point.

---------- Post added 06-27-2020 at 06:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They are anti-Pentax. Years ago they actually banned Benjikan for saying he chose Pentax over Canon. They claimed he was paid Pentax plant. They have along history of promoting anti-Pentax rhetoric and their writers have engaged in it themselves.

So essentially you're asking why a Leopard doesn't change it's spots.
I got kicked out of that forum because I once mentioned that I published a photographic book and I mistakenly posted a link to it. There was no way back, wasn't even allowed to remove the link and explain, just full block
06-27-2020, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How do you even react to this?
You don't. The age old adage "don't feed the trolls" applies here.

But if you don't go there and don't debunk his intentions.........................
See above.
06-27-2020, 06:03 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I wasn't referring to mods here, but on dpreview.
Who cares what moderators of another forum do, or don't do?

And I only brought it up here because he is now using data from pentaxforums to prove his point.
If the staff at another forum choose to allow that sort of thing, again, who cares? Having a discussion about it here serves no purpose and accomplishes nothing.
06-27-2020, 06:17 AM - 7 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Mr. dpbrains wrote on May 20, 2015:

QuoteQuote:
So what could it mean for the next years?
I think that
- 2018 the Ricoh Corp Board of Directors (acting on behalf of their investors) will pull the emergency brake.
That's my prediction for Pentax within Ricoh, as of today.

What about the others?
Olympus, the other "traditionally-doomed" camera maker, will do surprisingly well, because they understood the market trends and acted accordingly.
06-27-2020, 06:32 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Especially in these days of divisive commentary on almost anything, anyone who is serious about researching any type of interchangeable lens or high end street camera, will do more research than going to just one site. If they are not serious, they wil just buy what is on sale at Best Buy or one of the online stores because "they heard it was good and so and so shoots with one."
Anyone interested in possibly getting deep into a system will buy some gear after researching, and if they happen to see the anger there at DPR after they make a choice, it either reinforces their choice or they wonder why the nastiness to certain brands. Then they hit the forums and read that there are built in biases at DPR and ignore them like almost all Pentax shooters do.

Bezos should fire the anti-Pentax folks since it still has an effect on their affiliate sales. I know he does not control them directly, but he owns them.

So idon't worry about what they post, just go outside and watch the birds and ignore the nerds.
06-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Who is dpthoughts on dpreview?
BTW he is likely an active member of this forum (different username). Probably a guy from western Hamburg, Germany.
06-27-2020, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you even react to this? I mean there are people who can actually believe him and not buy Pentax because of his endless claims..
Start with the assumption [he] is paid by someone - perhaps a competitor to tarnish Ricoh Imaging or perhaps by DPR itself to create ClickBait - and then respond accordingly. Once you’ve locked in that mental assumption it is Ricoh’s job to respond, not ours.

I only go there to read initial Pentax product annuncements, search for a few posters’ posts and to laugh at their reviews. I stopped reading Comments, which solves my anger management issues.
Closed Thread