Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2020, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
UPS Sure Post has to be the least efficient shipping in the world

I bought a Lenovo Chromebook Duet from Best Buy to replace my old no longer supported Samsung Chromebook. Best Buy said I could pick it up on July 8th or have it delivered by July 3rd. It wasn't until after I ordered that I saw that it was "Sure Post"...

Ordered June 30th, Shipping Label printed July 1st after 4 PM. Picked up by UPS after 9 PM July 1st less than 3 miles from where I live and scanned. Scanned again at 5 AM July 2nd, still 3 miles from where I live. Handed off to the USPS after being driven past my house 6 hours later. The main post office is 1.2 miles in the opposite direction from UPS.

Name:  Annotation 2020-07-02 114618.png
Views: 103
Size:  19.3 KB

07-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had similar experiences and the routing logic seems bizarre in the extreme when you look at it after the fact. I think it adds at least two days over priority mail shipping.
07-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

All shippers have the same stories. It does not matter where you live. It is nothing to write home about...
07-02-2020, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

My wife got a Surepost package delivered today that appeared to come with another normal UPS delivery. It honestly looks like the UPS system had an ultraefficient glitch - "hey, why send this to the post office when it could be delivered with this other box?" I don't expect it to happen again.

07-02-2020, 09:00 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Economy shipping

UPS Surepost is by design turned over to USPS for the last mile delivery to your door.
It is a less expensive option for seller but usually adds several extra days to shipping time.

Chris
07-02-2020, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
UPS Surepost is by design turned over to USPS for the last mile delivery to your door.
It is a less expensive option for seller but usually adds several extra days to shipping time.

Chris

every bit of that is true..... and the route to my house is sometimes bizarre....
07-03-2020, 04:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The USPS didn't report recieving the package until 3 AM July 3rd. My letter carrier usually doesn't deliver to my street until after 2 Pam. When FedEx uses the USPS for last mile it seems to be more efficient. Last time I got a package that way it was delivered on Sunday by the carrier who delivers Amazon orders.
07-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Major carriers use roll-on containers to transfer packages between transfer centers. Once loaded and scanned into a container, as the container moves in and out of intermediate transfer points a “Container Scan” is logged as a “Package Scan” for all packages in the container.

It is likely a container including your package passed near your home before being unloaded and sorted for delivery at your local Post Office.

07-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Major carriers use roll-on containers to transfer packages between transfer centers. Once loaded and scanned into a container, as the container moves in and out of intermediate transfer points a “Container Scan” is logged as a “Package Scan” for all packages in the container.

It is likely a container including your package passed near your home before being unloaded and sorted for delivery at your local Post Office.
The street I live on intersects with a main east/west road and is between entrance/exits to I81 and I481. The UPS freight terminal is 3 miles east of my house near 481 and the main post office is 1 2 miles west of my house.just the other side of 81. So the package had to pass my street on the way to the post office. I don't know where the local Best Buy warehouse is, but it's probably close by. I live directly across the road from the airport and the big train yard is about 15 minutes away.
07-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Out where we live, in the middle of nowhere, there's a rural Canada Post postbox not too far from home (just a couple kilometres away), so anything that's not a big parcel gets delivered to there. But recently a lot of companies and such have been insisting on couriering packages saying that they'll get here quicker. We always try to tell them how they won't, but they're always insistent "no no, it'll go straight to your door". Well, it ends up at a place in town, over 20 kilometres away, and if their isn't a phone number on the parcel, then we never know they got it!
07-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The USPS didn't report recieving the package until 3 AM July 3rd. My letter carrier usually doesn't deliver to my street until after 2 Pam. When FedEx uses the USPS for last mile it seems to be more efficient. Last time I got a package that way it was delivered on Sunday by the carrier who delivers Amazon orders.
Makes sense. As near as I can tell, Sure Post is UPS's lowest level of service and one can be sure they will not deliver with any speed that will compete with the more expensive options.

Steve