Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
"An SR 500..."?

Steve

It is a 500 cc single cylinder motorcycle and has no electric starter, only a kick start and about 5 pages of starting instructions as big singles can be notoriously difficult to start, until you get the 'knack' which took me two weeks to get. It is one of those motorcycles which you have to jump up a bit and push the kick start lever down hard....with a certain amount of oomph.

Great handling, very good brakes, vibrates a lot, torquey, but not a of horsepower for a 500cc, but it moves out ok. Styled with a retro theme...to look similar to '50's/'60's British sporting, big single cylinder motorcycles. It is a lot of fun to ride through the twisties.

I like it. A lot. Had it for 42 years. It is an acquired taste and I have acquired that taste .

This link is not my particular motorcycle, but mine is the same colour, identical in looks and model year to the bike featured. In the article they say the SR 500 was inexpensive in it's time.

It was not, pricey actually, compared to other motorcycles in the 400-500cc range.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...NeYC_Dh9SL0ZLl

07-10-2020, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #182
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
As an American, I once had a discussion with a British fellow about elevators
For the British is Elevator or Lift, in Italian elevator derived from the Latin ascendĕre 'ascen-sore' or even less used elevatore in the sense of freight elevator.
07-10-2020, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
In Thailand a man from North Dakota asked a friend where she was from. She was from Birmingham England and she said so. He became enraged at how she said it. He gave her a lecture on how she has to pronounce the name of her town. Our entire group chuckled while she smiled silently at him.
My wife and I went to a German restaurant in Canada and we were served by a German waitress. I asked her where she was from and she said..."Haam- bourg. "

I didn't correct her (Canadian politeness and all) and tell her the word is pronounced Hamburg...as in hamburger.

However I thought it sad, that this young German waitress could not properly pronounce the city where she was from.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...How do they pronounce Minot in England?
BTW, the city of Minot in North Dakota is pronounced...My- Not....by Americans and Canadians. Not sure how those from England pronounce it. Nice place, BTW.
07-10-2020, 07:55 PM - 4 Likes   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
WHINE The way it is LINKED in my post. (TEARING HAIR OUT)

But here’s the entry.
Well, so it is linked, sorry there

The thing is, whinging and whining are different things.

Whinging is complaining. Whining is more associated with sound - it's the noise one makes while whinging.

Hope that clears it up

Now quit whinging and whining about me not fully reading your posts

07-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Have you heard pet peeve in Australia? It seems to be a US phrase.
It's been around in Australia as long as I can recall (which gets less the longer I live), but its origin is US: Pet peeve - Wikipedia

There are more pet peeves in Australia than there are pet kangaroos in Austria.
07-10-2020, 11:08 PM - 2 Likes   #186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
WHINE The way it is LINKED in my post. (TEARING HAIR OUT)

But here’s the entry.

whine verb

\ ˈ(h)wīn \
whined; whining
Definition of whine (Entry 1 of 2)
intransitive verb
1a : to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry
b : to make a sound similar to such a cry
the wind whined in the chimney
2 : to complain with or as if with a whine
always whining about the weather
3 : to move or proceed with the sound of a whine
the bullet whined … across the ice
— Berton Roueché
transitive verb
: to utter or express with or as if with a whine

whine noun
Definition of whine (Entry 2 of 2)
1a : a prolonged high-pitched cry usually expressive of distress or pain
b : a sound resembling such a cry
2 : a complaint uttered with or as if with a whine
I still don't see your issue with whinge and whine. One isn't a misspelling of the other.

"Whinge*isn't just a spelling variant of "whine." "Whinge" and "whine" are actually entirely different words with separate histories. "Whine" traces to an Old English verb, "hwinan," which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When "hwinan" became "whinen" in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; "whine" didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. "Whinge," on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, "hwinsian," which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." "Whinge" retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint."

07-10-2020, 11:27 PM - 2 Likes   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Does anyone else have a word that causes them to froth at the mouth?
The word I often see misused is 'loose' when what is meant is 'lose'.
It seems to be so common that I suspect it isn't simply a typo.

Cheers,
Terry

07-10-2020, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #188
Closed Account

Whether my wether wears a coat or not depends on the weather.........................English is silly.............
07-11-2020, 12:00 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
The word I often see misused is 'loose' when what is meant is 'lose'.
It seems to be so common that I suspect it isn't simply a typo.

Cheers,
Terry
Typically found in political threads which brands the other guy as a looser.
07-11-2020, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Word play

Word play is good fun in many regions and many countries. Back in Texas on the farm we fed ourselves from the garden during the growing season and regularly preserved garden produce for the off-seasons by a steam pressure cooking method called canning. My mom always said that "We eat all we can and what we can't we can."
07-11-2020, 12:54 AM   #191
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
How about the phrase "degree of doneness" just what does that mean?
I would have thought that is clear enough. Obviously, it is the temperature at which something can be considered to be sufficiently done, no?
07-11-2020, 12:59 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I would have thought that is clear enough. Obviously, it is the temperature at which something can be considered to be sufficiently done, no?
Makes sense to me. Rare, Medium Rare etc

07-11-2020, 01:08 AM   #193
Pentaxian

Makes sense to me. Rare, Medium Rare etc
Yes but the usage is now expanded to completion of a labourious task. Have you completed the job to a sufficient degree of doneness, such as painted a fence.

How do you feel about the frequent substitution of the word 'quiet' for 'quite'. The movie was quiet good - that is okay if you suffer from over sensitive ears.
07-11-2020, 01:20 AM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Yes but the usage is now expanded to completion of a labourious task. Have you completed the job to a sufficient degree of doneness, such as painted a fence.

How do you feel about the frequent substitution of the word 'quiet' for 'quite'. The movie was quiet good - that is okay if you suffer from over sensitive ears.
Being generous you could put quiet and quite down to autocorrect but you would also expect it to be noticed by the writer

07-11-2020, 04:54 AM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still don't see your issue with whinge and whine. One isn't a misspelling of the other.

"Whinge*isn't just a spelling variant of "whine." "Whinge" and "whine" are actually entirely different words with separate histories. "Whine" traces to an Old English verb, "hwinan," which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When "hwinan" became "whinen" in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; "whine" didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. "Whinge," on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, "hwinsian," which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." "Whinge" retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint."
People who spell whine whinge make me crazy..