Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2020, 01:24 AM   #316
Pentaxian

How about 'Spychologist' for 'Psychologist' (spoken rather than written) ? Or is this a Freudian slip ?

07-14-2020, 04:06 AM   #317
bxf
Veteran Member

My ears are not that good, so perhaps I'm not hearing reality, but even looking at the speakers' lips, I could swear that more and more people are saying "fith" instead of "fifth". Am I imagining things?
07-14-2020, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #318
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
For exceptionally aggravating things, may I add the Grrrrrrr practice of verbifying nouns (beyond the 'disconnect' already discussed). An IBM ad on the tube recently has been talking about "This is how we science". ARGHHHHHH
The one that irritates me the most pertains to woodworking. "I'm going to router the edge". No, you're not. Just as you're going to use a sander to sand the surface and a sprayer to spray the finish, and a mower to mow the lawn when you're done, you're going to use a router to rout the edge.

Maybe youse vs yous is a North Jersey vs South Jersey thing?
07-14-2020, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
How about 'Spychologist' for 'Psychologist' (spoken rather than written) ? Or is this a Freudian slip ?
How did Freud's undergarments get into this thread?

07-14-2020, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #320
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How did Freud's undergarments get into this thread?
did he borrow them from his mother?
07-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
did he borrow them from his mother?
while she was smoking a cigar?
07-14-2020, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #322
Veteran Member

Despised sales pitch:
"when they're gone, they're gone!"

07-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #323
Veteran Member

Youse guys is commonly used around here.
07-14-2020, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Despised sales pitch:
"when they're gone, they're gone!"
And the flip-side one:

"If it's in stock, we've got it!"
07-14-2020, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And the flip-side one:

"If it's in stock, we've got it!"

A buddy who used to work part time (1960's) in an old fashioned gas station/ auto repair shop would say if the shop didn't have a particular auto part... " If we don't have it, you don't need it".
07-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #326
Veteran Member

For a time I tried to correct the following when friends misused them, but I've since given up all hope for a return to their original meaning (especially since Webster's has accepted one of them):

• When describing someone's strong point to pronounce forte "ˈfȯr-ˌtā" (to play music strongly) instead of " ˈfȯrt" (when I pronounced it properly people corrected me, so I no longer use the word)

• When something needs to be known, probed, asked about to say "it begs the question . . ." which is a logic fallacy meaning to assume the truth of a conclusion aka circular reasoning, e.g. Happiness is the highest good for a human being, since all other values are inferior to it.

• Substituting bring for take: "bring me to the doctor's office."
07-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #327
Pentaxian

The description of cameras,hi-fi equipment,etc as “sexy”, just wrong!
07-14-2020, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #328
Pentaxian

I'm a car/motorcycle/truck enthusiast. If it has wheels and an engine....than chances are I like it.

One thing that bugs me, especially on car shows where the expert is doing the narration....is about the Porsche car. I like the Porsche car.

But the correct way to pronounce 'Porsche' is Por-shaa.

Now I must add, there is only exception to the rule.

I have a buddy who I've known for 50 + years and he is also a car enthusiast. He mispronounces Pors-shaa continually but that is ok in his case. He does it to bug me and I do things to bug him. It is all about a guy sense of humour.

07-14-2020, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

A buddy who used to work part time (1960's) in an old fashioned gas station/ auto repair shop would say if the shop didn't have a particular auto part... " If we don't have it, you don't need it".
In the early 1970's I managed a full service Texaco service station across the road form the Buffalo, NY airport. The previous owner had a set up with the guys who worked nights at the valet parking lot behind the gas station. Their pet term was "Midnight Auto Parts". If a car came in and needed a new starter, the guys would scan the lot for a similar vehicle, secure the needed part and sell it to the gas station. When the owner of the car whose starter had evaporated, the lot personnel referred him the the gas station for help. Car would get towed in and a rebuilt starter from an legit auto parts store would be installed.

Crooked owner finally had his lease terminated. Right after I started managing the station the IRS came in with a 4 inch thick seizure notice slammed it on the counter and started locking the place down. I looked it over and pointed out that they were after the previous owner. The station was under new management. They apologized, unlocked everything and left. A few days later a black Cadillac pulls up. Back window goes down and a guy in a suit asked to see Mr. Crooked. I told him that he had lost his lease and was no longer around. The guy thanks me and the window starts to go up. I say "You guys too?" He just smiles as the car drives off.

I never did find out what happened to the guy. He owed a lot of money to a lot of people.
07-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #330
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two to too