Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #436
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well I've gone off and had a look myself, via Google Earth Pro, and I must say, they are a bit daft. The business is a good 5/8 of a mile (about 1 km) off of the bypass route.

Who do they think they are, anyway?
Well maybe not. Did some more street view cruising about, and they are on the bypass route, but indeed, the road is still Akura Road, not the State Route 2 Bypass.

08-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Speaking of advertising. We have a State Highway (SH2) passing through our town. There's an optional traffic route to avoid the center of town. That route is signposted as the "State Highway 2 heavy vehicle by-pass route".
It follows the following roads: Ngaumutawa Road, Akura Road and Paierau Road.

There's a business on Akura Road who advertise on local radio. They call themselves the Akura Plant Nursery as they are located on Akura Road. Their most recent radio adverts state that they are located on "State Highway two by-pass road".
Whenever I hear the advert it takes considerable effort on my part not to ring them and berate them for their poor knowledge of what road their business is located on and named after.
I have to ask why the road name changes to Paierau Road when It seems to be the same road as Akura Road?

08-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #438
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I've gone off and had a look myself, via Google Earth Pro, and I must say, they are a bit daft. The business is a good 5/8 of a mile (about 1 km) off of the bypass route.

Who do they think they are, anyway?
Nah, they're on the route, on Akura Road. Google Maps
08-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #439
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah, they're on the route, on Akura Road. Google Maps
See my second post.

Google Earth is pretty cool. I spent some time riding around your neighborhood. A lot of joinery shops over by the train station.

08-13-2020, 12:01 AM - 2 Likes   #440
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
See my second post.

Google Earth is pretty cool. I spent some time riding around your neighborhood. A lot of joinery shops over by the train station.
Oops, sorry, missed that post of yours. Yes, there's a few kitchen joinery firms, an aluminium window and door joinery firm and a builders/ timber joinery as well as a building merchant all in a few blocks there.
Further down, Victoria Street and Albert Street is the oldest part of town.
08-13-2020, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #441
Pentaxian

(Just gave your post a like Mark so I could be the 7000th)
08-13-2020, 02:51 AM   #442
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
(Just gave your post a like Mark so I could be the 7000th)
Thanks Arjay!

Now I just have to make 15 posts and it will be a cool round number there too!

08-13-2020, 03:02 AM   #443
Unregistered User

"impactful" - "impact" is not a synonym of "affect" to begin with, but adding "-ful"? What does it mean to be full of impact?

And what's up with people who pronounce a "t" that occurs in the middle of a word as a glottal stop?
08-13-2020, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #444
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I have to ask why the road name changes to Paierau Road when It seems to be the same road as Akura Road?
Sorry, missed your post earlier. Paierau Road was originally a continuation of Kibblewhite Road and Akura Road formed a junction with Kibblewhite, Paierau and Matahiwi roads. The reason Kibblewhite Road and Paierau Road have different names even though they originally ran on from each other is because, earlier yet, they did not join up. Kibblewhite Road was established around 1872 and ran from Upper Plain Road, while Paierau Road was a T-junction on the Akura / Matahiwi Road. Only later did they join up, hence the different names for what appears to be the same road. Until the 1970's, there was a crossing where these four roads met, but then they created the sweeping corner that we have today and while the road seems to be a continuation, the underlying x-junction is still visible in the property records.

Here's the 1872 survey office drawings, which shows Kibblewhite and Upper Plain roads, but Paierau, Akura and Matahiwi don't seem to exist yet. Ngaumutawa Road exists though.
Attached Images

08-13-2020, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #445
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
What does it mean to be full of impact?
It is when a person who has had too much to drink, they drive and smash into a big oak tree.

The impact leaves them full of glass, plastic and splinters.
08-13-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #446
Pentaxian

Sorry, missed your post earlier. Paierau Road was originally a continuation of Kibblewhite Road and Akura Road formed a junction with Kibblewhite, Paierau and Matahiwi roads. The reason Kibblewhite Road and Paierau Road have different names even though they originally ran on from each other is because, earlier yet, they did not join up. Kibblewhite Road was established around 1872 and ran from Upper Plain Road, while Paierau Road was a T-junction on the Akura / Matahiwi Road. Only later did they join up, hence the different names for what appears to be the same road. Until the 1970's, there was a crossing where these four roads met, but then they created the sweeping corner that we have today and while the road seems to be a continuation, the underlying x-junction is still visible in the property records.

Here's the 1872 survey office drawings, which shows Kibblewhite and Upper Plain roads, but Paierau, Akura and Matahiwi don't seem to exist yet. Ngaumutawa Road exists though.
That's a very comprehensive explanation.

08-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #447
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Having worked in civil engineering once upon a time, I developed a liking to the drawings. Many were created with an artistic flourish by the draftsman. The old linen drawings each showing a section of land, and whatever features existed on it. North arrows, scale bars, even the lettering was always a reflection of the person who created it.

One thing I could never get my head around though, was why the developers created such long, narrow parcels. I know that geographic features, and locations of existing roads and structures may dictate where property lines go, but sheesh! Some of those are so narrow it would take two, three or more to make a decent plot of land. Who wants to squeeze onto a narrow strip, and know the intimate details of the folks three doors down?
08-13-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #448
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Having worked in civil engineering once upon a time, I developed a liking to the drawings. Many were created with an artistic flourish by the draftsman. The old linen drawings each showing a section of land, and whatever features existed on it. North arrows, scale bars, even the lettering was always a reflection of the person who created it.

One thing I could never get my head around though, was why the developers created such long, narrow parcels. I know that geographic features, and locations of existing roads and structures may dictate where property lines go, but sheesh! Some of those are so narrow it would take two, three or more to make a decent plot of land. Who wants to squeeze onto a narrow strip, and know the intimate details of the folks three doors down?
I love old maps and plans too. They're often works of art.

The long narrow parcels are not that narrow. Most, running down toward the river are 674-709 links wide. So, 135m to 142m wide (467 feet). Having lots in that shape meant that each property owner had a 40 acre lot (16 hectares) which was considered a large enough farmlet to be relatively self-sufficient. And, each property had road access / frontage so that they could build their house near the road (which was the done thing in Victorian times) and each property had easy access to the river for stock water.

The Lot that our property derived from is Lot 49, listed as owned by "R Kebblewhite" which is spelt wrong, it was Richard Kibblewhite.
08-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #449
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
... "impact" is not a synonym of "affect" to begin with...
It is.
08-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #450
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
That's a very comprehensive explanation.
I try!