Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have a copy of her book, and the sequel (I'm an English/grammar nerd)....

I settled on the Oxford comma late in life...
The Oxford comma normally catches me off-guard. I was never taught it so it's foreign to me, whereas the rest of my punctuation/grammar teachings came largely from my older brother. He's, like yourself, a grammar nerd and is has just passed his teaching degree, following his English Literature degree and looking at a MA in Education also. He never hesitated to let me know when I was wrong with respect to spelling, grammar, etc.

07-09-2020, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There ae so many people who express hopes about my well, but none of them ever go on to say what they are - am I missing something?.
07-09-2020, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
There's a good book called 'Eats, shoots & leaves' by Lynne Truss which (apparently) takes quite a good look into punctuation. I ought to read it actually.

Random commas tends to get me or incorrect use of bracketing commas.
"Woe is I" by Patricia O'Conner is a fun book from a grammar standpoint.

---------- Post added 07-09-20 at 08:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
"Normalcy" (shudder)
Either "normal", without any suffix is proper, or "normality" will cover it.
Given the state of affairs in today's world, it has seen a resurgence in popularity.

Kirk B.
Well, the word was used a slogan in a presidential campaign, a bit before my time... Return to normalcy - Wikipedia.
07-09-2020, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about You're and Your. People who use those two words incorrectly drive me crazy.

07-09-2020, 05:54 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

[/COLOR]

Well, the word was used a slogan in a presidential campaign, a bit before my time... Return to normalcy - Wikipedia.
Oh, I know.
It was wrong then, too.

Kirk B.
07-09-2020, 06:07 AM - 5 Likes   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here! Here! instead of Hear! Hear!

Supposably instead of supposedly

And, of course, the big one - Everything that has a superfluous u stuffed in after an o (colour, flavour, behaviour, harbour, honour, humour, labour, etc.)
07-09-2020, 06:54 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
How about You're and Your. People who use those two words incorrectly drive me crazy.
I, to, should of known it would get you're goat.

07-09-2020, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Defiantly, definately, definatly, etc. instead of definitely.
Defiantly is by far the worst.
07-09-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #39
bxf
Veteran Member

"Definitive" instead of "definite" is becoming increasingly widespread, as is the use of "literally" when it definitely is not.
07-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May eye borrow you're lense to photograph this potatoe?

Many delis have signs offering a breakfast special of "Butter Roll & Coffee".
I presume that includes a buttered roll.

My local spelling pet peeve:

The primary north-south thoroughfare into Rockaway Beach is Cross Bay Boulevard,
so named because its bridges cross several bays to reach The Rockaway Peninsula.
Many businesses along its length have merged Cross Bay into one word, "Crossbay".
How long before it morphs into "Crosby"?

Chris
07-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone once told me that there is no such word as lenses. It's "Lens" for both plural and singular ?
07-09-2020, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Here! Here! instead of Hear! Hear!

Supposably instead of supposedly

And, of course, the big one - Everything that has a superfluous u stuffed in after an o (colour, flavour, behaviour, harbour, honour, humour, labour, etc.)
To 'U' or not to "U'...that is the question.

That is the British spelling of course and I confess I generally use the British spelling rather than the American spelling of some words.

When (1950's) I was in elementary school in Canada our teachers taught us to use the Brit spelling. No surprise Canada is part of the Commonwealth. When it came to getting school supplies, etc...we were told to get the Oxford Dictionary and not the Webster's Dictionary...again primarily due to spelling issues.

As to which spelling is correct...as far as U goes, that is a good question, one open for debate. However the British do have one strong point in their favour...favor......it is the English language.

On the other hand the USA has had a huge influence on the evolution and the spread of the language and any healthy language does undergo and should IMHO change. You make the point about the 'u' being superfluous and I can't deny that point. It is a good one.

As an aside, years ago a relative (American from Chattanooga) showed me a family heirloom. It was a Webster's Dictionary...printed from what I recall in the mid 1840's. I looked through it and it was fascinating to see some of the words and their meaning...and spelling from so long ago. I do remember looking up Passenger Pigeon and it said something about a plentiful pest....and a good use was to use the bodies for filling potholes in roads.

But as we know, things change and so do word definitions, uses, spellings....
07-09-2020, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My pet peeve (and there are MANY):

[flame shields]Americans who say "I could care less", when it should be "I could not care less"[/flame shields]
Translation to text is often approximate with slang expressions.. The low level of "care" is implied and in actual speech is accompanied by a rolling of eyes. FWIW, Canadians say it too. (slings and arrows coming from the north and aimed at my house)

Steve

(...there is no accounting for slang...)
07-09-2020, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
To 'U' or not to "U'...that is the question.
A larger question may be whether to pronounce those words broadly and include (subtly) the "u". Doing so is one of the things that differentiates Canadian from U.S. speech, at least in the western part of the continent.* I lived for a year in Vancouver, BC, Canada and returned with a fairly pronounced Western Canada accent. Despite that being almost 40 years ago, I still retain the broad pronunciation of words like "about" as well as the occasional injection of "eh".

Steve

* You know that, of course. Another might be use of the word "huh", something proper Canadians never say.
07-09-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #45
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

"Mix and match" instead of "mix or match".
Mix is the opposite of match. You can't mix AND match. You mix things, or you match things.