Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
So that makes it no less annoying, similar to the now common annoying habit of starting every reply with "So".

Philip
Indeed. I suppose that I mean referring to lenses as pieces of glass isn't a mistranslation or wrong wording, as the original complaint of the thread.

07-09-2020, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #92
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
"belonging to" is always a contraction, unless something belongs to "it"
Huh? Belonging to is never a contraction, but "it's" always is. The word "its" is the possessive of "it".

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That one’s another English language quirk: “mathematic” should be an adjective (shortened to “math”) although “mathematical” is the more usual form, while “mathematics” is a noun (shortened to “maths”).
Surprisingly, "maths" is often misused too.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
My favourite is “irregardless”: Mrs Malaprop has many children.
That is a strange one that was recently added as a non-standard adverb to the Merriam-Webster dictionary (presumably of American English). The authors included a lengthy explanation that included over 200 years of usage across a "wide geographic range" (all in the U.S.?) along with examples of several usages of the prefix "ir-" where negation is not the intent. They also suggest that while a proper word, it may not be proper usage.

It is not part of my working vocabulary, so I guess I am safe.

Steve
07-09-2020, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone mentioned mixing up infer and imply yet?

07-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #94
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
(Key'lo): short for kilogram is kilo, with the accent on the first syllable, which is consistent with my contention that kilometer should be pronounced as ki'lometer.
Ha! Ha! Here, kilogram is "kill'-o-gram" (long "O") or "kill'-ah-gram".

Steve

07-09-2020, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

Why does flammable mean the same as inflammable?

07-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #96
Veteran Member

I often ponder the social conformity that language brings...... and at times feel a somewhat strongish desire to not conform.... whilst still wishing to be understood (to some extent)...... so “misspelling” is one way to express this bit of rebel in me. Maybe... choosing pentax over canon/nikon all those years ago was another..... so.... from this.... one may deduct that “lense" may just be the appropriate spelling by the inner pentaxian in some.

In my case though, things are somewhat more complex.... as I tend to be very efficient in my actions (wife version of this observed trait is "lazy").... so I'd never add another letter to a word to misspell it intentionally.... unless I was really wanting to annoy.... so "lens" for me.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-09-2020 at 04:36 PM.
07-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I often ponder the social conformity that language brings...... and at times feel a somewhat strongish desire to not conform.... whilst still wishing to be understood (to some extent)...... so “misspelling” is one way to express this bit of rebel in me. Maybe... choosing pentax over canon/nikon all those years ago was another..... so.... from this.... one may deduct that “lense" may just be the appropriate spelling by the inner pentaxian in some.

In my case though, things are somewhat more complex.... as I tend to be very efficient in my actions (wife version of this observed trait is "lazy").... so I'd never add another letter to a word to misspell it intentionally.... unless I was really wanting to annoy.... so "lens" for me.
Is "deduct" another example of not conforming?

07-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #98
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
It raises my hackles when someone adds an extra syllable to the word "preventive," as in "preventative."
I think you opened a can or worms with that one. I used to work for a company that created custom corporate wellness programs, among other things. Both terms were used interchangeably by the company founder and sometimes in the same pamphlet or guide. If corrected, he would respond that "we can accomplish either by healthy living" or was it healthful living.

Steve
07-09-2020, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #99
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

One may deduce. You appear to have achieved your rebel objective
07-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

According toMerriam-Webster:
First Known Use of preventative

meanings is same as "preventive".

1602 for "preventive" (also from Merriam-Webster, LINK).

Steve
07-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ooh, that's a good one.
A battery, in the DC electrical context, is a group of cells. A "lens" (lense ) in the photographic context, is a group of lenses.
Thank you! (He bows deeply at the waist.)

Steve
07-09-2020, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #102
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Is "deduct" another example of not conforming?
Nothing to do with conforming.

deduct is where the warm air from my furnace flows.
07-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #103
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh? Belonging to is never a contraction
You're right. I stand corrected.
07-09-2020, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In the examples you provide, I don't view "well" and "so" as having quite the same use.
"So" is used to preface a logical conclusion, often as an interjection. Well, might also be used that way, but often as not as an indication of resignation and sometimes exhasperation.

Steve
07-09-2020, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #105
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
So it would be better to avoid using either "So" or "Well" to start a sentence. Well both are unnecessary and annoying habits, adding nothing to the meaning of the sentence.
So what's your point.