Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #121
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This is a slight detour from the purpose of this thread, but I'll include it for entertainment, if nothing else.

I learned my English in Canada, where a TV that is not B&W is a "colour TV", and a house with five bedrooms is a five bedroom house. Once in the land of OZ, I got more exposure to UK English, so that the TV is now a "coloured TV", and the house is a "five bedroomed house".

I always find myself asking "did someone colour the TV", and "who bedroomed the house?". Oh well...
I guess all bedrooms are not the same .... i must have been cheated I've only got 4, but there is a tv / monitor in each

07-09-2020, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
According to Merriam-Webster, "inflammable" is the older word and is derived directly from the Latin "inflammare", a verb meaning "to cause to catch fire". A few hundred years later, in the early 1800's, someone figured out that derivation from "flammare" (also a verb, "to catch fire") was more correct, hence the birth of "flammable" in English. The dictionary folk say they are synonyms. I tend to use "flammable".

Your reference to the medical "inflammation" is an interesting extension that I will have to ponder. I have never seen "inflammable" used in a medical sense (prone or capable of inflammation).

Steve
I don’t know about other parts of the world, but where I am tanker trucks carrying a non combustible load generally are marked “ininflammable”

---------- Post added Jul 9th, 2020 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Might it be because that is how they spell it? (Aluminium everywhere except U.S. and Canada)

Steve
I believe we spell it “aluminium”. It’s you Yankees that like to cut out superfluous letters.

---------- Post added Jul 9th, 2020 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ooh, that's a good one.
A battery, in the DC electrical context, is a group of cells. A "lens" (lense ) in the photographic context, is a group of lenses.
I may be mistaken, but it’s several lens elements arranged in groups.

---------- Post added Jul 9th, 2020 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Just one in ten, eh?
Yup. It is often used in place of annihilate.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-09-2020 at 06:19 PM.
07-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Is "deduct" another example of not conforming?
Yes.... but not so much the spelling... more a case of just how much one feels compelled by societies norms to correct typos, auto correct things etc.
07-09-2020, 06:28 PM - 3 Likes   #124
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If we were all just given a babel fish then none of this would happen

07-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #125
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don’t know about other parts of the world, but where I am tanker trucks carrying a non combustible load generally are marked “ininflammable”
As with most terms, it is Greek and Latin, in Latin it is ignifer, but the difference in translation from English is inflammable (UK) and flammable (US).
Flammable is relative to the material or structure of the object while fireproof is the exact opposite e.g. Asbestos.
07-09-2020, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #126
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The proper pronunciation is tater.
" Spud " in Australia..................

Roast/baked spuds.
Mashed spuds.
Boiled spuds.................................hungry now....
07-09-2020, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
flameon Nucular

Last edited by monochrome; 07-09-2020 at 08:00 PM.
07-09-2020, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #128
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Spud " in Australia.................
That is used here, as well.
07-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #129
maw
Pentaxian

Miss Pell .vs. misspells
07-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #130
Veteran Member

"Lense" annoys me too.

One of my least favourite language trends involves the use of the word "but" to negate the first part of a sentence.
eg.
“I love you, but I can’t be with you.”

Found a nice article which explains this concisely: Using the word ‘but’: a brief guide to sincerity & clarity
07-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
"Lense" annoys me too.

One of my least favourite language trends involves the use of the word "but" to negate the first part of a sentence.
eg.
“I love you, but I can’t be with you.”

Found a nice article which explains this concisely: Using the word ‘but’: a brief guide to sincerity & clarity
No offence but....
07-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Originally posted by SSGGeezer*
Just one in ten, eh?
Yup. It is often used in place of annihilate.
Decimate used to get me riled up as well. It means 1 in 10 elimination by ballot. But it now has the usage of annhilate as mentioned above. So I looked it up so I could prove my point to someone I was trying to reform. But, shock, horror, the meaning annhilate is now an accepted meaning of the word. The usage from the original Latin has changed just as most people will accept dexterous and its variations as implying able handed instead of the old right handedness and sinister as meaning shady intentedness instead of the old left handedness.

I no longer get upset.

In some dictionaries the spelling of 'lense' is an accepted variant. As in all life if we all become accepting of outliers and varience then we can all get along a lot better.
07-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This is a slight detour from the purpose of this thread, but I'll include it for entertainment, if nothing else.

I learned my English in Canada, where a TV that is not B&W is a "colour TV", and a house with five bedrooms is a five bedroom house. Once in the land of OZ, I got more exposure to UK English, so that the TV is now a "coloured TV", and the house is a "five bedroomed house".

I always find myself asking "did someone colour the TV", and "who bedroomed the house?". Oh well...
I must say I have never heard a colour TV referred to as a coloured TV in the UK and can't remember ever hearing bedroomed either. Which part of the UK where you exposed to?

07-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No offence but....
hahaha good example!
07-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
As with most terms, it is Greek and Latin, in Latin it is ignifer, but the difference in translation from English is inflammable (UK) and flammable (US).
Flammable is relative to the material or structure of the object while fireproof is the exact opposite e.g. Asbestos.
Non-flammable also presents itself as an option for “something which isn’t flammable”.