Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 07:39 AM - 4 Likes   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One that gets my goat is "I seen" instead of "I saw"
I seen an accident yesterday............ I seen my doctor this morning.........
Argh!!!!!

07-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This is just a metaphoric expression. I imagine that every language has them, but English could very well be king in that department. It is one of the things that some people find difficult when learning English. That is, because we use such expressions frequently, a person who is not familiar with them will try to interpret them literally, and would find that they make no sense.
Quite correct, as in "take the ball and run with it."
07-10-2020, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

"We was" instead of "We were" is a regional thing in the UK.

07-10-2020, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

"...went..."

To boldly go where no man has went before...

Not.

07-10-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #155
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
"...went..."

To boldly go where no man has went before...

Not.
Yeah, that reminds me. I hear more and more "...have went" instead of "...have gone".

I really do not understand humanity. WHY is it that people latch on to incorrect grammar? How is preferable to speaking correctly?

And another one is "reversing" the meaning of e.g. and i.e. I've been seeing an increased misuse of these.

Last edited by bxf; 07-12-2020 at 11:04 PM.
07-10-2020, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #156
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

And another one is "reversing" the meaning of eg and ie. I've been seeing an increased misuse of these.
Did you mean i.e. and e.g.?

Hey, if we cant be pedantic in this thread, where can we?
07-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
One that gets my goat is "I seen" instead of "I saw"
I seen an accident yesterday............ I seen my doctor this morning.........
Argh!!!!!
They didn't seen it get eaten.

07-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #158
dbs
Pentaxian

Yeah, that reminds me. I hear more and more "...have went" instead of "...have gone".

I really do not understand humanity. WHY is it that people latch on to incorrect grammar? How is preferable to speaking correctly?

And another one is "reversing" the meaning of eg and ie. I've been seeing an increased misuse of these.
A lot of the incorrect grammar stems from on mass advertising, it just sinks into your brain.

Dave
07-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #159
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Another US/British thingie...

The team/band/Pentax IS, not ARE. The subject is singular.

But (or bt)...

Teammates/band members/managers ARE...
Yes, the British consider a composite object as plural, if it involves people. Flock on the other hand is singular, even if applied to a grouping of people. A team of racing pigs (we have those here) will still be plural, but a team of horses is plural only if they have a name.

(I just made all that up and can do that because 23 and me says I am mostly made of genes that are traceable to Britain. That allows me to make things up about people who have mostly British genes or things found in Britain; or perhaps not.)

Steve

(...are we confused yet or still just pedantic?)
07-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #160
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brisboy Quote
It's well and truly in accepted usage but using "disconnect" as a noun
Unless, of course, that is what it is.

Steve
07-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fingernails on Blackboard

whinge verb
\ ˈ(h)winj \
whinged; whinging or whingeing

Definition of whinge
intransitive verb
British
: to complain fretfully : WHINE

Note: The online Merriam-Webster correctly identifies this spelling as British, but the form is increasingly found in American usages. Editors have corrected my spelling - vociferously - recently. The proper dictionary entry is linked above

Last edited by monochrome; 07-10-2020 at 05:29 PM.
07-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #162
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I do not like "at the end of the day," as in: I will listen to all advice, but at the end of the day it is my decision.
This is just a metaphoric expression. I imagine that every language has them, but English could very well be king in that department. It is one of the things that some people find difficult when learning English. That is, because we use such expressions frequently, a person who is not familiar with them will try to interpret them literally, and would find that they make no sense.
Figures of speech help provide the glue for dialect. For example, English is spoken through much of the Caribbean, but local figures of speech as noun or verb phrases may make understanding extremely difficult even between near-neighbor islands.

Steve

(...jargon? Anyone want to comment on jargon?)
07-10-2020, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Does anyone else have a word that causes them to froth at the mouth?
Now I don't have a word that causes me to froth at the mouth, but I do have a little story that causes me to chuckle and display my somewhat crooked smile.
I hope this fits into the thread...somehow.

As you know Mark I have a SR 500 motorcycle, which I've had for around 42 years or so. I had been looking for a motorcycle back then and this particular Yamaha was the one I had my heart set on. So I got one.

Fast forward about 15 years. I was looking for a magazine road test that was about that old and was one of the first reviews of the SR 500 shortly after the bike came out. In fact I had bought the magazine originally, but lost it somewhere in the ensuing years.

I found out that our city library would do a search of libraries across Canada to see if the road test was on microfiche storage. Lucky me, it was at the Vancouver city library and they had a copy of it sent to the main library in my city.

I went to pick it up, verbally gave my name and the title of the magazine which was Cycle World, to the library clerk. The clerk came back about five minutes later and said somewhat flustered and embarrassed and said I'm sorry there is nothing here for you under the magazine title name, you gave me, Psycho World.

I said the magazine is Cycle World, not Psycho World. I spelled it out. I could see how the words ' Cycle and Psycho'...when spoken and not spelled out could be confused for each other. They sound very similar.

As it happened , I was coming home from work, dressed in a suit, tie, etc (had attended an event that required me to suit up ) and I think the library clerk might of mistakenly thought I was.... going by my suit.....an eminent medical person...rather than my true identity....which was....a rabid motorcyclist.

Words, spellings , pronunciations....can be confusing.

Les
07-10-2020, 05:26 PM - 4 Likes   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a pet peeve once, but it ran away...
07-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #165
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
"We was" instead of "We were" is a regional thing in the UK.
And here in the U.S. as well. It is thought that many of the regional variants* of English here are relics of quite proper regional speech brought here by early colonists.

Steve

* Thinking specifically of "mountain talk" in middle Appalachia where pronunciation, syntax, and conventions are different enough that until one's ears are tuned to their tongue, it sounds like anything but English.