Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 447 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
"Disconnection" is much more acceptable.

Steve
Definitely. Which reminds me how much "Definately" annoys me.

07-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #272
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Definitely. Which reminds me how much "Definately" annoys me.
One word sentences annoy me. 'Nuff?

Steve
07-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Mine: "orientated" GRRR!
Interestingly, I don't really see this one as incorrect. Otherwise wouldn't "orientation" be incorrect, in favour of 'oriention'? [Legitimate question.]

I'm just being persnickety here, it's taught in British English (customary here in UK) as orientated (e.g. the object has been orientated by 90 degrees), where 'orient' is more reserved for describing something 'Eastern'.
Either can be used here, really. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who understands one and not the other in the same context.
07-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Interestingly, I don't really see this one as incorrect. Otherwise wouldn't "orientation" be incorrect, in favour of 'oriention'? [Legitimate question.]

I'm just being persnickety here, it's taught in British English (customary here in UK) as orientated (e.g. the object has been orientated by 90 degrees), where 'orient' is more reserved for describing something 'Eastern'.
Either can be used here, really. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who understands one and not the other in the same context.

This always strike my ear as odd. I like to listen to audio books, especially Craig Thomas (Firefox, Firefox Down). He uses the word orientated and it always drops me out of following the story........
He also likes the word "stertorous" which I rarely hear.

07-13-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Ask either and the response is never, "yes" or "no". These phrases are used as the command, "Bring me a...." They are both used to make it sound nice. No one goes to a food outlet hoping for permission to have food. Perhaps that is the bigger evil?
I accept, it's me being pedantic, but isn't that what this type of thread is about,personal dislikes?

The phrasing "Can I get..." just really grates with me. It's the server doing the "go getting", hence the question "What can I get you?", otherwise it's self-service
07-13-2020, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #276
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
At the bar or other food/drink outlet

“Can I get ........?”

No,no,no....it’s “May I have...” or “Could you please get me......”
Although I understand your objective, your example of "may I" is not really appropriate, as you would not really be asking permission. I'd say the second example is correct.
07-13-2020, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #277
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'd say the second example is correct.
Not necessarily, depending on where you are. The second example is still asking a question, which is unnecessary; polite, but unnecessary in a restaurant. The server or order taker in a commercial establishment has a contractual obligation to his or her employer to do a job, part of which is to serve you, take your order, etc. I'd argue also that they have an implied obligation to the customer by virtue of being there.
"I'll have the pot roast and mashed potatoes. Thank you." or, as a reply to "May I help you?" "Yes thanks, I'll have a Whopper and a small order of fries." Both examples are directive and polite.

At the home dinner table (your own of someone else's) because the person you're asking has no obligation to pass you anything. "May I have some more soup?" and "Would you pass the taters, please?" are appropriate.

07-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #278
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The second example is still asking a question, which is unnecessary; polite, but unnecessary in a restaurant
Agreed. This has become common, but as you say, there is no need to ask, as if refusal was an option. One could argue, though, that there is the chance the desired product is not available, so saying "could I have" would accommodate such a possibility .
07-13-2020, 10:24 AM - 3 Likes   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not necessarily, depending on where you are. The second example is still asking a question, which is unnecessary; polite, but unnecessary in a restaurant. The server or order taker in a commercial establishment has a contractual obligation to his or her employer to do a job, part of which is to serve you, take your order, etc. I'd argue also that they have an implied obligation to the customer by virtue of being there.
"I'll have the pot roast and mashed potatoes. Thank you." or, as a reply to "May I help you?" "Yes thanks, I'll have a Whopper and a small order of fries." Both examples are directive and polite.

At the home dinner table (your own of someone else's) because the person you're asking has no obligation to pass you anything. "May I have some more soup?" and "Would you pass the taters, please?" are appropriate.
It always comes down to taters....doesn't it .
07-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #280
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Although I understand your objective, your example of "may I" is not really appropriate, as you would not really be asking permission. I'd say the second example is correct.
I disagree. There are times when we may not because they cannot.

Steve
07-13-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #281
Veteran Member

I accept, it's me being pedantic, but isn't that what this type of thread is about,personal dislikes?

The phrasing "Can I get..." just really grates with me. It's the server doing the "go getting", hence the question "What can I get you?", otherwise it's self-service
I go with the phrasing "I'll have the... ...please." It sounds okay and isn't impolite
07-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #282
Pentaxian

Get can mean acquire, without the going.
07-13-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #283
Pentaxian

I remember my son (about 12 years old then) and I going just across the border into the USA, about two decades ago, to watch the Sprint cars in action. The races were great and just before my son and I left to make the night journey home to Canada, we stopped off at a McDonald's to get a bite to eat. We ordered our food and the serving lady asked if we were Canadian.

I replied yes we were, but how did she know ? She said....' well you paid for your burgers with that Canuck funny money and that's always a tip off. '

I'm just making that part up. We paid with American dollars.

She really said, that she could tell we were Canadian because we ordered by starting our order with 'please' and ended it with a 'thank you.'

She was right, and I know over the years many can tell a Canadian by our sometimes tendency to overdo it on politeness.

Thank you,

Les
07-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
"An SR 500..."?

...begins with a noun...
I before E except: after C; and in words that sound like a long "a", e.g., neighbor and weigh; nor in "weird science", and "caffeine".
07-13-2020, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about the use of the plural word “they”, when he or she would be appropriate?
As in, “The driver was tested for drugs, and they were found to be ...”. I mean, how many drivers were there?