Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2020, 02:27 PM - 4 Likes   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
The description of cameras,hi-fi equipment,etc as “sexy”, just wrong!
True, unless one self-identifies as an electrosexual (pronoun "e")

07-14-2020, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
• Substituting bring for take: "bring me to the doctor's office."
Indeed...Take means remove.
My young daughter used to enjoy tormenting Americans who came to visit... they asked to take a shower.... she would say that's good just put it back when you're finished with it.
When they asked to use the bathroom she would delight in taking them to the room where the bath was...
oh you mean the toilet she'd say.
07-14-2020, 02:41 PM - 4 Likes   #333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For a time I tried to correct the following when friends misused them, but I've since given up all hope for a return to their original meaning (especially since Webster's has accepted one of them):

• When describing someone's strong point to pronounce forte "ˈfȯr-ˌtā" (to play music strongly) instead of " ˈfȯrt" (when I pronounced it properly people corrected me, so I no longer use the word
I’m a little confused as to your meaning here, but then so is the origin and use of the word. It derived from the Latin “fortis”, but its journey into (non-musical) English seems to have come via the French language, where its pronunciation is, indeed, “fort” but only because “forte” is the feminine form (the “t” is silent in the masculine form, “fort”). If we were adhering to the French, we’d talk about his “fort” and her “forte” (pronounced “for” and “fort” respectively). Those who didn’t learn French would be even more confused now.

I suspect that the musical application of the word came via Italian, rather than French, and the “e” In “forte” is pronounced separately in the Italian. So, to further confuse matters, “proper” pronunciation depends on the context, but at least it isn’t a malapropism that’s wormed its way into common usage.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 07-14-2020 at 02:56 PM.
07-14-2020, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #334
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
the correct way to pronounce 'Porsche' is Por-shaa
There is also the Portia (Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice") which, like Porsche, is pronounced "porsh-uh" (pronunciation of the "uh" syllable may vary by region, of course). Which brings me to my story. Someone I know of had a daughter who they named Porsha. When asked why they didn't spell it the same way as in Shakespeare (thinking that was where the inspiration came from), they said "Oh, we named her after the car but we didn't think people would pronounce it right." At least Freddie Mercury knew how to spell.

07-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #335
Pentaxian

The gender of nouns makes no sense to me. We live in a time when gender is confusing and I need to assign a gender to a chair?
07-14-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #336
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
its journey into (non-musical) English seems to have come via the French language, where its pronunciation is, indeed, “fort”
DISCLAIMER: I have studied French a bit but I am nowhere near fluent, or even conversational.
Now, having said that, I have known many who have no background in French who do know one thing for certain about the language and that is that e is pronounced "ay" as in "pay". I just tell them "Yes, it is, except when it isn't."
07-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
DISCLAIMER: I have studied French a bit but I am nowhere near fluent, or even conversational.
Now, having said that, I have known many who have no background in French who do know one thing for certain about the language and that is that e is pronounced "ay" as in "pay". I just tell them "Yes, it is, except when it isn't."
Isn't that only when accompanied by an acute accent?

07-14-2020, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #338
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I don't think the accent of the person speaking, cute or otherwise has anything to do with it.
Wait. Wut? Nevermind............

Seriously, yes I believe that's correct; but, as I said, I'm far from fluent.
07-14-2020, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
There is also the Portia (Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice") which, like Porsche, is pronounced "porsh-uh" (pronunciation of the "uh" syllable may vary by region, of course). Which brings me to my story. Someone I know of had a daughter who they named Porsha. When asked why they didn't spell it the same way as in Shakespeare (thinking that was where the inspiration came from), they said "Oh, we named her after the car but we didn't think people would pronounce it right." At least Freddie Mercury knew how to spell.

We have a pet turtle .She joined our family about 20 years ago and we named her Portia, using the Shakespeare's character spelling. The story behind the name is a bit involved.

The kids chose her name as she is a Box turtle and as our son thought she looked like a Porsche Boxter....a bit of a stretch I know

Now our kids didn't want to call her 'Porsche' as in the car, but thought the similar sounding female name ...'Portia' would be more appropriate...for our nice little animal.

And then of course as she is a Box Turtle.... the derivation follows......'Boxter'.....'Box....ter'.......'.Box Tur...tle.'

---------- Post added 07-14-20 at 05:48 PM ----------

When I was a little kid in the 1950's, my family took a trip down to St. Louis one Easter to visit some American relatives. One of the men wanted to take my father and me for a ride on a new highway....that was a very impressive road for the time.

I was about 5 years old or so and sitting in the front bench seat, between the driver, our relative and my dad. The car was a newer Chevrolet and that nameplate was affixed to the dashboard.

My dad asked me to pronounce it and I gave it my best....I said Chev...ro ..let.....but the 'let' I pronounced let as in let us get together. He said well usually let is pronounced the way you have pronounced it, but Chevrolet is a French word and the French would pronounced let, like ...'lay'.

" I just tell them "Yes, it is, except when it isn't"

Exactly, just like how the word Pierre is pronounced, unless it is the capitol city of South Dakota. You probably recall our discussion on that subject from the past.

Last edited by lesmore49; 07-14-2020 at 03:50 PM.
07-14-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The gender of nouns makes no sense to me. We live in a time when gender is confusing and I need to assign a gender to a chair?
...and you live in arguably the most French city in the USA!

C’est la vie.
(and Jerry Lee Lewis knew how to pronounce that )
07-15-2020, 12:09 AM   #341
Pentaxian

• When describing someone's strong point to pronounce forte "ˈfȯr-ˌtā" (to play music strongly) instead of " ˈfȯrt" (when I pronounced it properly people corrected me, so I no longer use the word)
Charles Emerson Winchester notably got it right. Not sure who else noticed.
07-15-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And the flip-side one:

"If it's in stock, we've got it!"
Another one I've seen for people selling items:
"If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it."

Seems like an obvious outcome to me!
07-17-2020, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #343
Pentaxian

Definitely. Which reminds me how much "Definately" annoys me.
I forgot about defiantly for definitely

07-17-2020, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #344
Pentaxian

This thread certainly peaked my interest 😀
07-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #345
Pentaxian

DISCLAIMER: ...I have known many who have no background in French who do know one thing for certain about the language and that is that e is pronounced "ay" as in "pay". I just tell them "Yes, it is, except when it isn't."
It makes me want to créée with three e's and 2 accents, but I can't because I'm masculine...