Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What is up with B&H Photo ?

I know B&H is very famous many people purchase gears from them, and I placed my first ever order 10 days ago, it was a small portable solar charger panel. I used to buy in Amazon, but that particular item can't be found in there so I try B&H. The item is still 'backorder', no news when it will be available, I sent email to them but no return in 3 days, I tried live chat but it was closed ! I don't know it was the pandemic or anything stopping them, I got much better response in Amazon, only if I can find my item elsewhere I will cancel my order, but the refund may takes forever !

07-15-2020, 10:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you asked in the subforum "Ask B&H Photo!"? Ask B&H Photo! - PentaxForums.com
07-15-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tried but it kicked me out, said I can not post message in there unless I donate some money, I did buy more space for photos before but that may not enough.
07-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Tried but it kicked me out, said I can not post message in there unless I donate some money, I did buy more space for photos before but that may not enough.
You can't reply to others' threads there, but starting a new thread should work. There are no donation requirements to do so.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can't reply to others' threads there, but starting a new thread should work. There are no donation requirements to do so.
IC, simply bcoz someone asked the same question, thanks for the tip !
07-17-2020, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

A lot of stuff is sold out everywhere. There are supply chain issues around the world as factories have been closed either due to covid 19 or due to them not getting certain materials. My rule lately is that an item I'm interested in is listed as in stock, I will order and if it's backordered, I will look elsewhere.
07-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I had a return that took a long time to get replaced , but NYC has been on a tighter lockdown than up here so I know they are very shorthanded due to social distancing requirements. I also ordered a new digital music player but it is still out of stock also. It will come when it comes I guess. they are doing the best they can under trying circumstances. As someone who does wholesale and retail shipping, I know where they are coming from!

07-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
A lot of stuff is sold out everywhere. There are supply chain issues around the world as factories have been closed either due to covid 19 or due to them not getting certain materials. My rule lately is that an item I'm interested in is listed as in stock, I will order and if it's backordered, I will look elsewhere.
The situation is the same all around the world, but on the contrary Amazon still run very smooth. I ordered some air sanitizer which is one of the most wanted item these days rarely ran out of stock, the backorder max took 3 days, I don't know why the less wanted solar charger takes so long to restock, as of this writing it is still out. The main problem with B&H is the response time, my enquiry took a week to get an answer where 2 days max in Amazon.
07-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't know why the less wanted solar charger takes so long to restock, as of this writing it is still out.
I think you have answered your own question - if it is less in demand, stands to reason it will be out of stock, since retailers only stock what will sell, especially in the current climate.
07-17-2020, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #10

The situation is the same all around the world, but on the contrary Amazon still run very smooth. I ordered some air sanitizer which is one of the most wanted item these days rarely ran out of stock, the backorder max took 3 days,
Amazon ships from regional warehouses around the country. They also hold inventory and ship for various vendors. Notice how items are marked "Ships from and Sold by Amazon (or another company)" or just "Ships from Amazon". If it is out of inventory in one region they will ship from another region. Amazon will also take from the inventory of another vendor/company and replace it from another warehouse. B&H as far as I know has only one or two warehouses and only a tiny amount of the inventory that Amazon has in total.

Because Amazon ships from regional warehouses is how they can offer one-day delivery without charging premium delivery rates. You don't see B&H offering the same service.

There is a quantum level or two difference in the size of operation between B&H and Amazon.
07-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I think you have answered your own question - if it is less in demand, stands to reason it will be out of stock, since retailers only stock what will sell, especially in the current climate.
You may be right, but less in demand can also mean less chance to ran out of stock, I don't know it was my first try with B&H, I just hoped they can be little more responsive. Just when I was about to cancel the order I received their reply with estimated restocking time of the item.

---------- Post added 07-18-20 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Amazon ships from regional warehouses around the country. They also hold inventory and ship for various vendors. Notice how items are marked "Ships from and Sold by Amazon (or another company)" or just "Ships from Amazon". If it is out of inventory in one region they will ship from another region. Amazon will also take from the inventory of another vendor/company and replace it from another warehouse. B&H as far as I know has only one or two warehouses and only a tiny amount of the inventory that Amazon has in total.

Because Amazon ships from regional warehouses is how they can offer one-day delivery without charging premium delivery rates. You don't see B&H offering the same service.

There is a quantum level or two difference in the size of operation between B&H and Amazon.
Yes I can't really compare the two with great difference in operation size, and I believe B&H is more focused on photographic gears than other consumer electronics. One thing I don't know is how good the after sales service in B&H, multiple times I received items from Amazon delayed, or design problem in the item I wrote a comment but not really a complaint, then soon after that Amazon or the seller contacted me to apologise and issue refund to me without ask, that is more than I expected.
07-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

(1) just post the question directly to B&H in our forum
(2) lots of internet sites are having difficulty delivering on time either because of back order problems or delivery problems. Up my way in Canada UPS is having difficulty with 1 week deliveries taking 3 weeks. A 6X6 inch padded envelope from the US sent by USPS took 1 month to get to me. Amazon deliveries are still pretty good and accurate. The virus has messed everything up!
07-19-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
(1) just post the question directly to B&H in our forum
(2) lots of internet sites are having difficulty delivering on time either because of back order problems or delivery problems. Up my way in Canada UPS is having difficulty with 1 week deliveries taking 3 weeks. A 6X6 inch padded envelope from the US sent by USPS took 1 month to get to me. Amazon deliveries are still pretty good and accurate. The virus has messed everything up!
Amazon has been the pits for me and they should refund anyone who is paying for Amazon Prime since they are using Covid as an excuse not to ship in a timely fashion. My orders through Amazon as a reseller/ merchant go out the same or next day via USPS. Can ou tell I am not a fan of Bezos? I would rather wait for B and H or Adorama to send it if there is a choice.
07-19-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Amazon has been the pits for me and they should refund anyone who is paying for Amazon Prime since they are using Covid as an excuse not to ship in a timely fashion.
this......

I've suggested this very thing to a customer service rep not too long ago, since I am still expected to pay for my prime membership timely......
07-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Amazon has been the pits for me and they should refund anyone who is paying for Amazon Prime since they are using Covid as an excuse not to ship in a timely fashion. My orders through Amazon as a reseller/ merchant go out the same or next day via USPS. Can ou tell I am not a fan of Bezos? I would rather wait for B and H or Adorama to send it if there is a choice.
Interesting results between USA and Canada deliveries. Amazon deliveries still generally on time as promised up here, UPS almost useless, Canada Post within Canada reliable, USPS to Canada anyones guess now. It may be that Amazon can handle the amount of deliveries (especially since they use private people doing the deliveries) in Canada and are overwhelmed in the USA.