07-17-2020, 05:14 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Twitter Security Breach

Just received this email from LifeLock:

Security Breach

A highly coordinated attack impacts verified Twitter accounts of the world’s most famous people and companies.

What is Happening?

On July 15, 2020, several verified Twitter accounts of famous people and companies were taken over in a security breach, including Apple, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Barack Obama and others. Hackers then published tweets from these accounts soliciting donations via Bitcoin. For example, one tweet read: “We are giving back to our community. We support Bitcoin and we believe you should too. All Bitcoin sent to our address below will be sent back to you doubled.”

Within the first three hours of the attack, people were deceived into sending more than $118,000 to the scammers. Bitcoin is a popular cryptocurrency used by scammers because it is virtually impossible to recover the lost funds.

Twitter has stated that verified accounts will be unable to tweet until the issue is resolved and have also disabled some account features such as password reset requests.

07-17-2020, 05:58 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I can't feel very sorry for Twitter or those scammed, due to the absolute poop that people write about there, which is why I stay clear of Twitter...
07-17-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

In a way, it is fortunate that this hacking attack was only a money scam Jim,......................but it have been only a rehearsal.
From the news reports I am seeing from America, the FBI is very worried about what words could be put into certain accounts in the future.
Truly scary stuff..............................
07-17-2020, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
which is why I stay clear of Twitter...
Me too Robert. When people ask me why, I say that " I don't swim in sewers."

07-17-2020, 06:52 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't do Twit-er, Facaplant, Instascam, none of them.
I'm not so vain as to think the rest of humanity is interested in my every thought and action.
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Historians have debated for centuries what exactly was responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire. I don't think there will be any debate centuries from now what was responsible for taking down present day society.
07-17-2020, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto !
07-17-2020, 07:17 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm not so vain as to think the rest of humanity is interested in my every thought and action.
Jim,
I only came to this thread because you started it.
07-17-2020, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Bob.

07-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I can't feel very sorry for Twitter or those scammed, due to the absolute poop that people write about there, which is why I stay clear of Twitter...
I feel the same way regarding all the popular "social media" sites, PF and Flickr are my time wasters. I stay off of them and don't pay attention to them and I have a great life without them.
07-17-2020, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a way, it is fortunate that this hacking attack was only a money scam Jim,......................but it have been only a rehearsal.
From the news reports I am seeing from America, the FBI is very worried about what words could be put into certain accounts in the future.
Truly scary stuff..............................
I for one hope the hacking continues, so tripe like this will fade away, way too much weight is given to Twitter and other junk sites by the news media nowadays.
07-17-2020, 11:09 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Being a dedicated curmudgeon, I'm waiting for someone to invent antisocial media. I'd suggest assbook and Instagroin for website names.
07-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do Twitter so none of this really affects me at all. I do use Facebook but I'm on it less than I used to be. It seems to be mostly BS news and rumors these days. I've got better things to do with my time.

---------- Post added 07-17-20 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Being a dedicated curmudgeon, I'm waiting for someone to invent antisocial media. I'd suggest assbook and Instagroin for website names.
But people who are truly anti social don't bother with with the internet at all of if they do, would reply to everything with DILLIGAF.
07-17-2020, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel like saying that if you're on social media, you are complicit in society's ills.
07-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I feel the same way regarding all the popular "social media" sites, PF and Flickr are my time wasters. I stay off of them and don't pay attention to them and I have a great life without them.
But you are missing friend requests! And Farmville!
07-17-2020, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

It does annoy me when Local and National Government, to say nothing of the Police, attempt to 'communicate' with us by using 'Social Media'. Why do they assume that everyone not only uses Twitface and these other anti-social sites, but also have nothing better to do ? How many accidents, of various kinds, have been caused by the bleep (or other annoying sound) of an update causing the recipient to lose concentration ? When I first moved to my current address, there was a large Council noticeboard nearby, on which were placed notices of interest to the community. First it was vandalised, then removed. Progress ? Keep it.