Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have any Firefox users upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
If so was your Windows 7 Firefox installation fully functional after OS upgrade?
Any special hints or precautions?

TIA,
Chris

07-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firefox works fine on Windows 10.
07-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I'm guessing that since everybody is switching to Windows 10 the Hackers will also switch over...
And then Windows7 will no longer be a target of hackers and virus purveyors.
07-22-2020, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Time to go back to Windows 95!

07-23-2020, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Win ? DOS !

Bring back the command line.
07-23-2020, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Win ? DOS !

Far too complex,bring back punch cards!
07-23-2020, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Win ? DOS !

What do you mean 'bring back' the command line? I use it all the time

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Time to go back to Windows 95!
You joke, but a bit of software I use nearly every day is from the Win 95 era, I had troubles getting it running, so I was pretty close to installing a Win 95 VM to run it in

07-23-2020, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Win ? DOS !

One word.

Linux.
07-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What do you mean 'bring back' the command line? I use it all the time
Same here!

Steve
07-23-2020, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You joke, but a bit of software I use nearly every day is from the Win 95 era, I had troubles getting it running, so I was pretty close to installing a Win 95 VM to run it in
I am almost ashamed to say it, but I use Quicken 8.0 for DOS for my personal finances. I purchased it in 1994 and continued to use it, courtesy of a desktop shortcut to DOS until I migrated to Win 7 in 2014. Since then, I run it through the DOSBox x86 emulator. Getting hard copy print-out is a bit complicated (print to text file first and output that to the printer), but it still works fine. In theory, I might still run Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS too and a few other products (Turbo Pascal, anyone?), since I still have the software.

Steve
07-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
NO chance! Those still using W7 will be an even BIGGER target but they are (generally, I hasten to add - and thus you are obviously not! ) "less that IT savvy" and therefore likely to be very vulnerable!

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 09:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Same here!

Steve
Don't use the Command line often, but occasionally I do need to!
People who started at W95 are "late comers" - I started with Win 2.0 (a terrible system!) and then rapidly went to 3.0 and everything thereafter (apart from 2000, ME & VISTA which were also abysmal)

OTOH, W10 needs a lot of "taming" - there are "ways"

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-23-2020 at 01:34 PM.
07-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd also upgrade to win10 and agree it's the best one yet in terms of speed and stability. I've been in IT and software engineering since the 1980s so I have used all the other versions.

IMO your best course of action is to put a SSD in your computer and then save your old hard drive. A SSD will speed up any computer without one quite a bit and they are not very expensive these days. Then you could take your old harddrive and convert it to a virtual machine using the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter. That way you can have your Windows 7 system running in a window on Windows 10 in case you need to use anything from it.

Windows 10 or of any era runs best as a clean install rather than an upgrade if you can go that route. But if that is too painful the upgrade route is usually fine. But maybe if you do the virtual machine route you won't need the upgrade as much.

If possible a little more RAM would be the grease that keeps things running extra-smoothly. The older RAM you would need might be inexpensive. If so, put whatever the max is for that motherboard in and that should get you quite a bit more time from that system.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
NO chance! Those still using W7 will be an even BIGGER target but they are (generally, I hasten to add - and thus you are obviously not! ) "less that IT savvy" and therefore likely to be very vulnerable!

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 09:29 PM ----------

Don't use the Command line often, but occasionally I do need to!
People who started at W95 are "late comers" - I started with Win 2.0 (a terrible system!) and then rapidly went to 3.0 and everything thereafter (apart from 2000, ME & VISTA which were also abysmal)

OTOH, W10 needs a lot of "taming" - there are "ways"
This old timer got started on DOS 3.0 working at a computer store when I was in middle school. Windows 1.0 was a novelty and desperate attempt to be Mac-like (which is wasn't). It ran under DOS so it was basically a glorified launcher but still with all the restrictions of DOS (like the 640k RAM limit).
Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) was the first version I ever took seriously from an IT standpoint.
07-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I...Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) was the first version I ever took seriously from an IT standpoint.
Ditto; first time that any form of networking seemed to work well (for the time).

OTOH, time to get back to the purpose of the thread, i.e. W10 - to which I have updated 5-6 m/c's f.o.c. over the last few years (including very recently!).

OTOH2 - in the UK we are now seeing quite a few "opportunities" to buy a W10 licence for £30 for "Home" or a bit more for the "Pro" version.

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-23-2020 at 01:57 PM.
07-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't tried lately but as recently as April you can still get a legitimate Windows 10 upgrade license for free!
07-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am almost ashamed to say it, but I use Quicken 8.0 for DOS for my personal finances. I purchased it in 1994 and continued to use it, courtesy of a desktop shortcut to DOS until I migrated to Win 7 in 2014. Since then, I run it through the DOSBox x86 emulator. Getting hard copy print-out is a bit complicated (print to text file first and output that to the printer), but it still works fine. In theory, I might still run Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS too and a few other products (Turbo Pascal, anyone?), since I still have the software.
Steve
I retired nearly 5 years ago, but at that time for business (and still occasionally for private use), I used a DOS accounting package and spreadsheet program under WinXP. I never needed to use the method in practice, but I did test out the software under Win7(the accounts program worked, the spreadsheet did not) and in an XP virtual machine which I also tested under Win10 just in case I had to continue working. I still have a machine running XP just in case I need to go back to old client records until they go "out of time". I have one machine running Win7 for similar reasons.

I have upgraded 4 machines from Win7 to Win10 using the upgrade assistant. The most recent was at the end of 2019 and the upgrade was free. The youngest machine was about 6 years old and the oldest getting on for about 10 years old - that one was the quickest upgrade, I think.

I have found some problems with Win10 :-
- built in SD card reader does not read cards although it knows when a card is inserted
- some large USB drives not recognised that worked on XP and 7
- Win7 to Win10 upgrade and later feature updates (not security or interim updates) require me to uninstall, and then re install after the upgrade/update, encryption software I use. I used to have to do the same with my antivirus software.

Otherwise, Win10 is fine although the updates were a pain early on, now much better.