Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows 7/Windows 10

As you know Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7. They recommend that everybody go out an buy a new computer with the Windows 10 upgrade. Failing to do so can open you up to all sorts of malicious Virus/Malware and other problems. I have Windows 7 on my computer and have been reluctant to upgrade. The reason is, my printer and scanner are based on Windows 7 plus I have a bunch of other software that I'm not sure would work on the Windows 10 platform.

I think I read somewhere that Microsoft Essentials the Free Anti-Virus Software that comes with Windows 7 will also not be supported. I have been using my computer since January with no major issues. Once in a while I get those messages from Microsoft urging me to upgrade. However who has $500-$1500 lying around ? My computer was state-of-the-art back in 2010 when I bought it and except for a few minor issues I really hate to get rid of it. Then again if something happens like a major hardware/software failure then I'm going to need to upgrade regardless. Is anybody else grappling with this issue ?

07-21-2020, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

You have a couple of options here...

1. Keep running Windows 7, though not recommended, as security patches are no longer supported. ie, it's less secure and more likely to suffer an attack.

2. Buy a Windows 10 license and use it on your computer. At one point they were doing free upgrades from Windows 7 to 10, but I don't believe so any more. All your software should work fine on Windows 10.
*EDIT* Just did some searching, it looks like there still is a way to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free, it may be worth a try.

3. Install a different operating system, or Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint, lots of choices here, though you may run into trouble with software not available within Linux and needing to find alternatives.
07-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You have a couple of options here...

1. Keep running Windows 7, though not recommended, as security patches are no longer supported. ie, it's less secure and more likely to suffer an attack.

2. Buy a Windows 10 license and use it on your computer. At one point they were doing free upgrades from Windows 7 to 10, but I don't believe so any more. All your software should work fine on Windows 10.
*EDIT* Just did some searching, it looks like there still is a way to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free, it may be worth a try.

3. Install a different operating system, or Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint, lots of choices here, though you may run into trouble with software not available within Linux and needing to find alternatives.
I'm guessing that since everybody is switching to Windows 10 the Hackers will also switch over...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-21-2020 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo
07-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it looks like there still is a way to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free, it may be worth a try.
It is worth a try, I upgraded two machines to Win 10 during lockdown in April. You need a valid Win 7 licence and you may have to do the telephone activation (automated) for Win 10 if your licence is fairly old – I had to with one PC – but you end up with an activated, valid Win 10 installation and no money changes hands. If you want Win 10, what's not to like? Mind you, I did try a machine about as old as yours with Win10 and it wasn't a happy experience. Waiting. For. The. Program. To. Start. On second thoughts, just build yourself a new rig.

Hackers go where the numbers are, which is why Linux doesn't make many virus headlines. Same goes for Mac. With Windows you don't look to prevent the hackers getting in, they're already ...

07-21-2020, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
They recommend that everybody go out an buy a new computer with the Windows 10 upgrade.
Since you already own windows 7, you should be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free. You can go to the windows website to start this process manually.

The reason is, my printer and scanner are based on Windows 7 plus I have a bunch of other software that I'm not sure would work on the Windows 10 platform.

Windows 7 and 10 are still very similar under the hood. Everything currently installed on your system should continue working after the upgrade, with only a few exceptions. In many cases, you can even get really old software to run. For example, I'm still able to play games originally released for Windows 98...

I think I read somewhere that Microsoft Essentials the Free Anti-Virus Software that comes with Windows 7 will also not be supported. I have been using my computer since January with no major issues.
Everything that came with Microsoft Essentials is now built into Windows 10. The anti-virus is now called Windows Defender, and it's enabled by default.

My computer was state-of-the-art back in 2010
In that case, you probably won't experience any performance degradation when upgrading. Windows 10 is actually faster than Windows 7 on the same hardware, even though the latter was quite good already.

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend using an SSD for the OS, as this will greatly increase performance.

There are a few things you can do to harden your system against security threats. A lot of threats actually rely on exploiting the user (phishing and malware), so the best thing to do is to think twice before clicking on links or calling phone numbers in suspicious-looking or unexpected e-mails. And definitely don't open any exe files from untrusted sources. Second, make sure the account you normally use on your computer isn't an administrator account. Contrary to popular belief, this doesn't get in the way of normal use. If you need to install something new or make changes to system settings, you can always authenticate as the administrator and apply that change. All it takes is setting up a separate account and a few clicks in the control panel.

Another thing that's worth doing is isolating your IoT devices (smart TVs, Alexa, thermostats, alarm system, etc.) from your home computer network. The easiest way to do this is to enable the guest network in your wi-fi router, and connect all of your IoT devices to that network. If you want to take full control and still be able to access them directly if needed, then you can set up firewall rules using your router, in your PC, or through a proxy server.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're careful opening emails, where you surf, and run a store bought AV, you can probably run 7 awhile longer. A lap top I have ,I upgraded from Vista to 7 just last year and never ran into any 'Bugs' or Virus.
07-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I too have a Win 7 machine that I use for scanning. I did a test with my Win 10 laptop and yes, my current drivers do work* as does the software from Nikon and Epson.

I could upgrade to Win 10, but am hesitant to do so, mostly because the OS and user interface changes under foot with no input from me. I might add there is software that is useful to me that is not supported on Win 10. There are also stability problems. Instead, I run competent anti-virus and anti-malware products and don't use that box for cruising the Web.

Steve

* I am using a modified version of the 5000 ED driver compatible with Win 7-64bit.

07-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I too have a Win 7 machine that I use for scanning. I did a test with my Win 10 laptop and yes, my current drivers do work* as does the software from Nikon and Epson.

I could upgrade to Win 10, but am hesitant to do so, mostly because the OS and user interface changes under foot with no input from me. I might add there is software that is useful to me that is not supported on Win 10. There are also stability problems. Instead, I run competent anti-virus and anti-malware products and don't use that box for cruising the Web.

Steve

* I am using a modified version of the 5000 ED driver compatible with Win 7-64bit.
Unless your machine isn't connected to the internet in any way, I strongly suggest upgrading to Windows 10. I am curious as to what software isn't supported on Windows 10.
As far as stability problems... well... that's Windows for you
07-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As you know Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7. They recommend that everybody go out an buy a new computer with the Windows 10 upgrade. Failing to do so can open you up to all sorts of malicious Virus/Malware and other problems. I have Windows 7 on my computer and have been reluctant to upgrade. The reason is, my printer and scanner are based on Windows 7 plus I have a bunch of other software that I'm not sure would work on the Windows 10 platform.

I think I read somewhere that Microsoft Essentials the Free Anti-Virus Software that comes with Windows 7 will also not be supported. I have been using my computer since January with no major issues. Once in a while I get those messages from Microsoft urging me to upgrade. However who has $500-$1500 lying around ? My computer was state-of-the-art back in 2010 when I bought it and except for a few minor issues I really hate to get rid of it. Then again if something happens like a major hardware/software failure then I'm going to need to upgrade regardless. Is anybody else grappling with this issue ?
I upgraded my win7 desktop to win10. The only issue was getting used to the menus. I built this one when Windows XP was still around (2008 or so). My AMD Phenom 965 overclocked to 3.8Ghz is still ticking along, along with 8Gb of ram, and an AMD W8000 video card.
It's seen Ubuntu and MINT, but I needed the Windows for my 3D software.
07-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Unless your machine isn't connected to the internet in any way, I strongly suggest upgrading to Windows 10. I am curious as to what software isn't supported on Windows 10.
As far as stability problems... well... that's Windows for you
My topographic map package, for one and my accounting software for another. The list when the compatibility test was done was fairly long, IIRC. Thanks for your strong suggestion. While connected to my network and by extension to the Internet, that computer is not usually used for Internet purposes. At present, the most likely route for incursion might be a compromised SD card.*

Steve

* Happened to me once when mounting a card that my daughter picked up in India.
07-21-2020, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a long time user of Windows systems, starting with Windows 95, then 2000, then XP, then Windows 7 and Server 2003, and then Windows 10 I feel I must point out that Windows 10 is, without a doubt, then most stable and fault-free operating system yet conceived by Microsoft.

The only issues I have had with compatibility is that one of my older printers simply would not work with Windows 10. Everything else has worked faultlessly. The only ongoing irritation with Windows 10 is that every update by Microsoft defaults the pdf reader back to Edge, where I prefer Adobe Reader. There does not appear to be any way to stop this from happening. Now, I just sigh, after an update and reset it to Adobe Reader and it's good until next time.
07-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

TEN YEARS is an incredible amount of time to squeeze out of a computer. That was the start of the first generation 'i' core processors from Intel. They're now on 10th gen and looking at 11th. AMD was using Athlon x2 and Phenoms (horribly dated today).

That's like saying you have a perfectly fine 1953 year car why would I want a 2020 model with its power steering, air conditioning, cruise control, airbags, navigation, improved performance and fuel economy? The old model turns heads but it is a money pit.

It isn't going to last forever so you'll need to consider saving for a new PC eventually.

You can get Windows 10 for free: How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ?Free? In 2020 [Updated]

It may or may not run well on your computer depending on your computer's specifications (windows 10 seems to like a lot of memory for instance).

If I were you I'd make a back up of all your important data onto a totally different machine/external drive or backup service before upgrading though. Or just find the money and buy a new machine and keep the old one on the side.
07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #13

You can still update Win7 to Win10 for free, depending on the original license of the Win7. Some OEM licenses can not be updated. I just updated a Win7 license. The Win7 has to be activated. The license server no longer activates Windows 7. Activating by phone sometimes works. Sometimes it doesn't. Talking to a live customer service representative will sometimes get the key to activate. Sometimes it's, sorry can't help you.

To update, it's best to download the MediaCreationTool from Microsoft. Run it with the options to create an ISO install disk or to a USB flash drive. Note it will wipe any data on the USB stick. Burn the ISO to a DVD or mount it as a virtual drive if you have a program to do this. From WIndows Explorer run SETUP on the DVD, virtual drive or USB stick. Use the option to keep all files and programs.

Once Windows 10 is installed and running it should activate (as long as Windows 7 was activated) with a digital license. If the Windows 7 was a full retail license and you register the Windows 10 digital license with a Microsoft account it should be transferable should you wish to upgrade your hardware later. If it was an OEM license it is only valid on the motherboard it is installed on and is not transferable.

If you want to try to install Windows 7 on current hardware aside from the activation issues there are hardware/driver issues that I encountered. First off the Windows 7 install lacked drivers that would work with the MotherBoards USB chipset, LAN card and there were no Windows 7 drivers for the graphics card. Lack of USB meant no mouse support and if you have a USB keyboard you wouldn't be able to use it either. I eventually found Windows 7 drivers for the USB controller and LAN card on Intel's website but unless you have a floppy or CD/DVD drive it is a little hard to get them on the system without USB support. And navigating Windows without a mouse is not fun at all.

You can continue to run Windows 7 as long as you have hardware that is supported. If you have to activate or re-activate your license you might be out of luck because eventually Microsoft will stop phone activation altogether.
07-22-2020, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I'll be the happy dissenter and say I'd go back to Linux before using Windows 10. I don't like the privacy problems. I don't like the loss of control over device drivers. I don't like Microsoft, either. It's just familiar.

Windows 7 can be hardened a bit. It's a gamble like using any WIndows 7 computer these days, but it's a valid option. The problematic updates that backported the privacy problems of Windows 10 can be removed. There are tutorials around on how to do this complete with the lists of updates to remove and explanations why. Then you gut Windows Update so it can't mess anything up. What you're left with is a static installation of Windows 7 that doesn't suffer the privacy problems of 10. Whether it can or will be exploited is a risk anybody doing this is willingly taking. The risk is very low for any individual person per year.
07-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Windows 7 can be hardened a bit. It's a gamble like using any WIndows 7 computer these days, but it's a valid option. The problematic updates that backported the privacy problems of Windows 10 can be removed. There are tutorials around on how to do this complete with the lists of updates to remove and explanations why. Then you gut Windows Update so it can't mess anything up. What you're left with is a static installation of Windows 7 that doesn't suffer the privacy problems of 10. Whether it can or will be exploited is a risk anybody doing this is willingly taking. The risk is very low for any individual person per year.
Do you have a few links that might be helpful?

I may yet set up for both as virtual computers (depends on how well the hypervisor deals with hardware abstraction). I had a Linux box as my primary workstation at work for several years and it worked great, but I do still need to support my scanners and a few other bits of odd hardware where Linux support is poor or non-existent.

Steve